Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front loading a frame

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Front loading a frame

Old 04-08-22, 04:59 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Front loading a frame

I have seen a frame before that has struts which hold a front rack / platform which is independent of the fork. That is, the fork is not loaded and when you make a turn the load continues to point forward. I can't recall the name of the Frame but I do like the concept and have considered modding a frame (with an oversized headset) to receive a similar sort of set-up. This frame did not have a front wheel smaller than the rear one. Anyone ride something like which is being described here?
Old 04-11-22, 03:53 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Mine has a 20" front wheel, just to compensate for the cargo load volume.
Maybe you can use it as a reference for your application.

Last edited by cat0020; 04-11-22 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 12:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
This is not a frame concept, but it is strong and has the same functionality as described in the o.p. It is designed to carry smallish sized dogs.
Old 05-29-22, 06:07 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
My daily folding commuter bike has a front rack attached by a bracket that bolts onto the head tube. It was a bit disconcerting for about ten seconds.

Verge S11i on the platform.
Old 06-01-22, 05:47 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I have seen a frame before that has struts which hold a front rack / platform which is independent of the fork. That is, the fork is not loaded and when you make a turn the load continues to point forward. I can't recall the name of the Frame but I do like the concept and have considered modding a frame (with an oversized headset) to receive a similar sort of set-up. This frame did not have a front wheel smaller than the rear one. Anyone ride something like which is being described here?
The Dutch bike maker Azor produces such a rack providing your down tube meets spec.

https://i.imgur.com/cDVndAM.jpg