Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Chain lube

Old 06-18-22, 04:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Chain lube

I'm looking for a oil based chain lube that's compatible with the preservative found on Shimano chain. I say preservative, since the lube found on new chain is really just a rust preventive. I'd like a "wet", oil based chain and not a "dry" lube or an emulsion.

I normally wipe down the chain anytime it's obviously dirty, After removing the dust, I apply lube and wipe off the excess. I'll do this monthly and replace the chain once or twice a year. I never soak the chain with cleaner, I prefer to maintain oil between the pin, bushing and side plates.

Any recommendations?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-18-22 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 09:56 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Not sure what it means to be "compatible" with the stuff they put on new chains, but Muc-Off Wet Lube holds up well in most conditions.
Old 06-18-22, 10:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Rolla
Not sure what it means to be "compatible" with the stuff they put on new chains, but Muc-Off Wet Lube holds up well in most conditions.
I'll give it a try. Some lube brands require that a new chain be cleaned to remove the factory preservative.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-18-22, 12:47 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'll give it a try. Some lube brands require that a new chain be cleaned to remove the factory preservative.
Ah. I usually clean that stuff off anyway, regardless of the lube I'm using. It attracts/retains a lot of fine grit.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-18-22, 12:53 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Ah. I usually clean that stuff off anyway, regardless of the lube I'm using. It attracts/retains a lot of fine grit.
Same. I clean my new chains pretty soon since the factory lube gets dirty fast. I use Green Oil which lasts a long time and doesn't attract a lot of dirt.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 06-18-22, 06:30 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
I like 3 lubes for the Chain...

Regular Triflow is a nice middle ground and can be lubing for all things needing lube.

Finish Line wet is heavier and last well in rainy environments but it will act like a heavy oil (dark stuff on your skin if you touch it)

Sometimes I clean with TriFlow and then wipe with a rag, then depending on conditions chose between TriFlow and FL Wet apply a light coat and wipe lightly off and good to go.

My favorite these days is Rock n Roll Gold though. Apply a generous amount to clean then wipe, then again to lube. It stays real clean and works awesome. That said the "lube" doesn't last quite as long. So reapplication is just a little bit more often, like once a month. But it is dirt simple and really keeps a clean chain.

I will use any of the 3 depending on what I have in the garage but RnR Gold is my favorite.
Old 06-18-22, 08:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I've had bad luck w/ "wet" lube. a bit too gooey, for my taste
Old 06-18-22, 09:30 PM
Rolla

I’ve always heard that wet lube is great for people who like to clean and lube their chain often, and dry/wax lube is for those who like to leave it alone for a couple of weeks.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-19-22, 07:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Every podcast and industry article I've consumed about chains in the last couple years has said to remove the factory lube as it gunks quickly and is slow.

Wet lube attracts gunk, dry lube attracts less.

Nothing I have used is similar tonthe Shimano stock stuff.
Old 06-21-22, 02:35 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Or get a chain that doesn't rust. Those advertised as "silver plated" tends to be quite resistant from rusting and then just use any lube you like. They are not really more expensive than regular ones. Quite happy using them because I didn't have to clean and re-lube the chain every time I get caught in rain.
Old 06-23-22, 01:33 AM
thejazz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
decathlon teflon lube is perfect
Old 06-23-22, 04:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
I don't think I've ever run into a wet lube that's incompatible with the factory lube/preservative. It's only the high-zoot stuff racers need to minimize chain wattage losses that worry about that,.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-26-22, 10:27 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I’ve always heard that wet lube is great for people who like to clean and lube their chain often, and dry/wax lube is for those who like to leave it alone for a couple of weeks.
"I've always heard...."
Ya, where is this coming from. It's the opposite... you wax often..... but lube less with oil based lube.

Show me something that says the stuff that comes on modern chains is just a preservative. Of course it's preservative, but it's also a lube.... like a lightweight grease.

Just use Chain-L or bar & chain oil for your "wet" ness lube.
Old 06-26-22, 10:47 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by trailangel
Ya, where is this coming from. It's the opposite... you wax often..... but lube less with oil based lube.
Depends on the conditions. Where it's dry and dusty, wet lube attracts and retains more dirt, requiring wiping down and reapplying more often. In a wet environment, dry lube doesn't last long at all.
Old 06-26-22, 01:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
"I've always heard...."

Show me something that says the stuff that comes on modern chains is just a preservative. Of course it's preservative, but it's also a lube.... like a lightweight grease.

Just use Chain-L or bar & chain oil for your "wet" ness lube.

Its in here somewhere if you really want to know. Convinced me to degrease every new chain I get.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/03/nerd...or-your-needs/
Old 06-26-22, 07:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Its in here somewhere if you really want to know. Convinced me to degrease every new chain I get.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/03/nerd...or-your-needs/
I do not see it in there. Generally I believe you degrease a new chain only if you plan on waxing it instead of oiling it.
Old 07-01-22, 09:14 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I do not see it in there. Generally I believe you degrease a new chain only if you plan on waxing it instead of oiling it.
About 5 minutes into the podcast, the speaker discribes factory lube as not bad, not great but explains that it's not compatible with many of the more exotic lubes, such as emulsions.
Old 07-15-22, 04:09 PM
jlat

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: I've been using stuff called dry lube. It still attacks dry dirt and seems to build crud. I still use it as I have a new bottle but I want to try something else. Before this, I would use WD-40 and whip it down after application. I heard about the dry lube and gave it a shot.
IBBY
Old 07-16-22, 01:37 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
Personally, i prefer squirt. It works in any type of weather, does not mind wet condition (does not get washed off) and does not get very dusty in dry condition.

i tried mucoff wet lube and in winter it make a real mess. I tried mucoff dry lube and it seems to attract duct a lot.
reason I tied, muc off lube are 1/2 price of squirt.
Old 07-16-22, 06:16 AM
jlat

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello and hello people: next time I need to buy more lube I'll be given squirt a try. thanks
IBBY