Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Done with PI shorts - point me to a new pair?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-08-22, 11:45 AM
hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I need new shorts for my upcoming Europe tour. Can you please recommend shorts/brand other than Pearl Izumi I should take a look at? I like heavier/thicker fabric, stretchier, less painted on style. I'm 6'3 and 195# on a good day, was XL in PI (which might account for those seeming to be now tailored for fatter people?).

Forever I've used Pearl Izumi Attack 8 panel shorts. But just bought a new pair and the fabric is thinner, stiffer, shinier, and quite cheap looking. And the shorts are tight on my thighs and looser on my waist than the old one (and I certainly am not aging into a better physique ...) Tried PI Expeditions too. Nice fabric and loved the pockets and longish legs, but even worse fit for me - even tighter legs, bigger waist, baggy butt causing gaping in the chamois.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-22, 11:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Not sure I see that you say what you don't like. Other than they didn't fit, which just makes me think you needed a larger size.

PI shorts like many cycling clothes tend to run smaller than the S, M, L sizes for just regular clothes here in the USA. So that might be one issue for you if you are getting something so tight that it never will be comfortable.

However my son likes the bibs he gets from Primal. Perhaps you might like bibbs instead of shorts. I don't see much difference in either, but others do.

If your trip to Europe is soon, you better get something now and ride some long rides to find out if they don't rub you wrong before you get over there. Of course I'm sure they might have more shops with cycling clothing over there since in many parts of Europe cycling is more a thing.
Old 08-08-22, 12:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
You're in Seattle. Call around and see what shops have a changing room so you can try shorts on. That will tell you far more than we can.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-08-22, 12:42 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
I found that the Hincapie shorts fit pretty similarly (in size anyway) to PI shorts. The Hincapie Signatures had a bit more of a racier fit like the Elite and Pro PI shorts and had a more dense chamois pad (important for me as a heavier guy who crushes light, spongy pads) compared to the lower end styles. Lately, all my short ride PRs I've set with a pair of Hincapie CoolMax shorts. Longer rides I still tend to use my older PI PRO shorts or my team's shorts (Jakroo with the upgraded pad - the stock pad is too soft for me).
Old 08-08-22, 12:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by hankj
Forever I've used Pearl Izumi Attack 8 panel shorts. But just bought a new pair and the fabric is thinner, stiffer, shinier, and quite cheap looking. And the shorts are tight on my thighs and looser on my waist than the old one (and I certainly am not aging into a better physique ...) Tried PI Expeditions too. Nice fabric and loved the pockets and longish legs, but even worse fit for me - even tighter legs, bigger waist, baggy butt causing gaping in the chamois.

Thanks!
I've noticed this, too. I tried to buy a new pair of old stock, only to have it substituted (again) for the inferior single-panel version.

I managed to get hung-up on the nose of my saddle when trying to hop an (off-road) rut, and the snag was enough to land me in the ditch. I wasn't hurt, but I am convinced these things are a genuine hazard.

So, I'm very interested in the replies here.
Old 08-08-22, 02:09 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
I like my Assos shorts, they have no band on the front so nothing is pressing into your bladder. I appreciate this on shorts vs bibs on longer rides, as I had the straps of bibshorts so wear shorts instead. They are also very well padded. In comparison, I have Gore shorts that I use to train on and I notice with my saddle the difference in padding. The Assos did take a while to get used to with more padding.

I have not tried any other shorts, so I am not sure how valuable this really is. On top of shorts being probably similarly personal as saddles are, although maybe less so.
Old 08-08-22, 02:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I

Forever I've used Pearl Izumi Attack 8 panel shorts. But just bought a new pair and the fabric is thinner, stiffer, shinier, and quite cheap looking.

Thanks!
Agree, I purchased 2 pair of Attack bibs from REI on sale, they've gone cheap. The shoulder straps have no fabric edge, just really cheap thin lycra. They have definitely cheapened the shorts, last pair of PI shorts I buy.
Old 08-08-22, 03:05 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
PI Shorts

I bought a pair of PI Pro shorts last year , XXL as usual, and they were at least a size too big. Plus, the chamois is a different design from a few years ago. I contacted P.I. and they said they did not change the sizing. Maybe
mine were just mislabeled. Bill
Old 08-08-22, 03:09 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Coolmax long briefs from Duluth trading and cargo shorts.
Old 08-08-22, 03:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
You might try getting an extra "X" in the size and see if that helps.

Black Bibs 2XL seems to be the same size the older PI XL bibs were, plus they don't have the "edge of plywood" chamois the last PI bibs I bought featured.
Old 08-08-22, 05:31 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Most recent Bibs I've bought which have an 'American' fit were Louis Garneau, but I'm on the small side of M, thigh fits snug but not too tight, good pad without too heavy, good fabric.
Not their top model (don;t remember the model, I cut off tags...and there were plenty of them...), mid-thigh length. YMMV
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-08-22, 05:39 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
My favorite shorts are from Bellwether https://www.bellwetherclothing.com/c...s/mens-bottoms
Likes For nathand:
Old 08-08-22, 05:55 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I was leery when I got a pair of the new style PI bibs. The chamois is flat instead of shaped and is much lighter overall. But I found them to be just as good as the old ones. I didn't notice any difference in the fit.
Likes For gecho:
Old 08-08-22, 06:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,714 Posts
I like heavier/thicker fabric, stretchier, less painted on style.
Based on your description, you should steer clear of any shorts that are advertised as "high compression", which is common in a premium product.

Maybe some basic medium compression shorts from Voler. I have used their full range, they're all decent.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-08-22, 06:21 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I was leery when I got a pair of the new style PI bibs. The chamois is flat instead of shaped and is much lighter overall. But I found them to be just as good as the old ones. I didn't notice any difference in the fit.
Can you pls post the model name? I prefer flat , thin chamois. PI went to the thick, sculpted chamois on much of their stuff - glad they have some flat, hopefully thin, chamois again.
Thx
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-09-22, 06:54 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 176 Posts
I am 6ft and about 180 lbs. I was wearing PI Pro Bibs a year or so ago in a L. I already like a tight race fit, but he more I ride, the more compression I like and the PI bibs started feeling too big.

I found the Castelli Free Aero Race 4 to fit really well in a size L. They are super comfortable, really well made, and have great compression. Pretty durable too, I took an off camber corner a little too hot the other day on some trails and came down hard on my right side. My jersey was torn through, but the bibs didn't have a mark. They are at a great price right now.

But for even better compression the Velocio LUXE Bibs in M are seriously amazing and they come in a bunch or great colors too. Great fabric, great straps, and a top quality feel,

If you are too modest you can always size up, but as terrymorse mentions above you'll give up the compression which I feel noticeably helps on longer rides.

Last edited by KJ43; 08-09-22 at 06:57 AM. Reason: add links
Old 08-09-22, 07:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Can you pls post the model name? I prefer flat , thin chamois. PI went to the thick, sculpted chamois on much of their stuff - glad they have some flat, hopefully thin, chamois again.
Thx
Yuri
i'd like to know too as i am always looking for such in all black.
Old 08-09-22, 09:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
6'5 215#. I have size XL bibs from Voler and Black Bibs- both fit great.

Voler makes many levels of compression. I like their Black Label which is the most compressive, but less expensive models have less compression. Voler's cargo bib shorts are less compressive but with the same pad. The cargo pockets on the side and back are helpful and you dont feel anything when something is in the pockets. This could be helpful for you when touring.

Black Bibs has regular and cargo offerings too. The material is for sure on the mid-compression side of things. It will never be confused for higher compressive offerings. The quality is solid, price is great, and they have lasted.

Bibs are better than shorts for me- the bibs dont roll down and stay in place all day both on and off the bike. I never touch them.
Both suggestions above have wide leg bands instead of an annoying cheap thick glue strip at the leg hem. The difference is noticable and there is no reason to ever buy clothing with that thick silicone strip that rips your skin and hair.
But if you wants shorts, both of the offerings above have shorts. Voler is MUSA, if that matters.
Old 08-09-22, 09:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
I dont want to "enhance" my rear any more than it already is, so does voler or BB have a thin seat layer or is it that pad that makes you look like you've doo doo'd yourself?
Old 08-10-22, 12:04 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Thx
Yuri
These are the ones I ordered. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6007-3...ack-bib-shorts

I ordered them in 2020, then didn't start using them until last year. My apprehension over the chamois had me using my old shorts until they fell apart. As soon as I started using them I felt a bit silly for putting the switch off. 8,300 km of riding with them since I switched.

I should order a pair of the non-bib attack shorts as in some situations I prefer non-bib shorts. <just noticed they are 50% off at MEC so I ordered a pair to try, probably going to stop carrying them as most of the recent reviews complain about the chamois change>

Last edited by gecho; 08-10-22 at 12:29 AM. Reason: update
Likes For gecho:
Old 08-10-22, 08:45 AM
hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Didn't make it to a bike shop, but tried on the REI brand Junction shorts. XL was a bit big overall, but the bottom of the legs, huge, flopping loose. Weird fit. I think these US oriented brands shift into fat a$$ mode once they get to XL. Tried the medium and too tight. SO ordered the large which should be my size.

I hope they fit because I really liked the Junction shorts. The material is dense and premium feeling, and the chamois dense and not too big or thick. Longish legs and big deep side pockets. And $60 MSRP. My cycle-vanity doesn't like the REI logo, but I'll get over it (or bust out a sharpie

Also tried on Rapha shorts and bibs. Comically huge chamois! Like 4 inches wider than my saddle would be, and wrapping up to almost the tailbone. Felt like a diaper. And a seam sewn right up the middle. Weird. Outside of that fit and materials middling for the price.

Still want to try Assos and the other premium brand mentioned, and need to go past a couple of shops today ....
Old 08-10-22, 11:13 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 405 Posts
I've got PI, Primal, Spesh bibs, but now prefer Craft. Worth checking out, not cheap, been very durable - no stretch, no thin-out, colorfast.
Old 08-10-22, 11:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Here's the last pair I bought, bib shorts. It was a close-out special, but liked them enough to pay the full price next time (if I have to).

2022 One Love Stylee Band Bibs - Men/Unisex-14x – ONE LOVE CYCLING

Not sure if these are produced by a well-known supplier. Placement of straps allows for easy pee breaks. Wider softer grip on leg bottoms. I like the pad, too.
Old 08-13-22, 12:42 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I am 6'3", 245. I have been wearing riding gear from a British company, "Fat Lad at the back". It fits me well, and I am not even close to the largest size they sell. I have their "Jewel bib shorts" and their "Jewel Thermal bib tights" which are ankle length for temperatures below 60F. They run between $120 - $140, depending on the USD to GBP exchange rate, and they ship DHL express so my experience has been that they arrive in 3-5 days from the time I order.
Old 08-16-22, 07:09 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
My favorite shorts are from Bellwether https://www.bellwetherclothing.com/c...s/mens-bottoms

He said not painted on. No spiderman speedos, I think he means.
I might invest in a pair of under briefs and some kind of outer shorts that can be worn in public
Like these from another thread
https://us.endurasport.com/hummvee-3.../13648022.html