Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Somehow getting cable-stop away from the frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Somehow getting cable-stop away from the frame

Old 08-16-22, 09:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
It's not a Cinelli Super Corsa.

You can decide. Here are three of them:

https://www.bikeforums.net/22226958-post2979.html

The other two are in similar condition. I've refurbished about 70 that look/operate the same. Never bought a nos fd.
They're nice. Like I said, even thought I've got some used parts on my bike, like yours, you'd never know.
Old 09-15-22, 04:51 PM
edwardsmarkf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a ton of them. Here's a cheap one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30459382250...Bk9SR6Sg-MnUYA
bought that one you recommended and installed it.... 😁 i pretty much "destroyed" the old front derailer rather than break the chain again, even though i have the tool. i should ask why Shimano designs derailers like that, but save that one for another post.

for the record, i still like my idea (yes i am stubborn) i might send the old parts to a machine-shop guy and let him come up with a cable stop that is "offset" for Shimano.

and next up, to remove a pedal and take it into an REI store, see about clip-in shoes/pedals, and hopefully without having to redo the pedal threads.

EDIT: bought the one that SurferRosa found, not necessarily recommending that specific one. but it does seem to work. still, it seems a bit odd that the only derailleurs that work are used and i cannot somehow get a new Shimano to work for me. it will be interesting to see if the machine shop guy has any ideas.

Last edited by edwardsmarkf; 09-15-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 05:31 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardsmarkf
bought that one you recommended and installed it. 😁
Old 09-16-22, 09:28 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
and next up, to remove a pedal and take it into an REI store, see about clip-in shoes/pedals, and hopefully without having to redo the pedal threads.
You shouldn't have to redo the threads. Assuming you remove the pedal correctly.
Old 09-16-22, 09:55 AM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smd4
You shouldn't have to redo the threads. Assuming you remove the pedal correctly.
somebody warned me it might not be that easy on an old Peugeot bicycle. i do remember being told a long time ago that European bicycle manufacturers were extremely nationalistic on their thread sizes.
Old 09-16-22, 01:37 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Okay, that's definitely the wrong cable guide for your seat tube and the wrong front derailleur as well.
I'm not really a bike mechanic, but that looks like something somebody kludged together until it was "good enough."
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-18-22, 05:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
somebody warned me it might not be that easy on an old Peugeot bicycle. i do remember being told a long time ago that European bicycle manufacturers were extremely nationalistic on their thread sizes.
Older French bikes may have metric pedal thread, but starting around 1980, English/ISO thread was used. Often, pedal thread spec is marked on the crank arm. If you can't find metric thread pedals, the arms can be re-tapped to English/ISO thread.
Attached Images
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-18-22, 09:51 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Older French bikes may have metric pedal thread, but starting around 1980, English/ISO thread was used. Often, pedal thread spec is marked on the crank arm. If you can't find metric thread pedals, the arms can be re-tapped to English/ISO thread.
^^^^
Plus +1

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-18-22, 10:26 AM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
apparently, that was 1978 or earlier! i just tried screwing in a new mountain-bike LEFT pedal and the threads match.
Old 09-21-22, 09:21 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
thank you so much surferRosa - i take it there is no way to find a new one? they are all used on eBay?
The front derailleurs pictured on that link will last forever as the are all metal. No real risk to buying used. I had one go for 40+ years. The key to smoothness and longevity is in a previous post about using a long piece of housing for a gentle curve.

The real hunt is if it for the FDs that fit the slightly smaller diameter French tubing used on vintage bikes like Peugeots and Gitanes.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 09-21-22, 11:54 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
The real hunt is if it for the FDs that fit the slightly smaller diameter French tubing.

My first Motobécane had a first gen Suntour Cyclone fd with an original Suntour plastic shim. Pretty cool, but a tiny piece of inner tube can also work.
Old 09-22-22, 07:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read ALL of the replies, but did anyone suggest just moving the housing stop DOWN on the seat tube a bit? It would mean shortening the housing, but moving the stop further away from the derailleur would decrease the angle for the cable.
Old 09-22-22, 04:59 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
did anyone suggest just moving the housing stop down?
Post 11.