Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Summer Cycling Tights

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Summer Cycling Tights

Old 08-16-22, 09:14 AM
TheFort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Summer Cycling Tights

Does anyone know of a full length men's cycling tight for summer? Basically this would be long tights without fleece lining. It seems impossible to find this. Sun screen doesn't work well, so I'd rather just put a light fabric over the legs. I'm looking for something high quality with a nice chamois that isn't overbuilt like a diaper. Budget isn't a huge concern, but I'd like to be around $250 max for the right pair.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-22, 01:49 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Not really (mostly it's built a bit warmer than pure summer kit) but you've got these leg and arm warmers which come in white, are made for summer use and are very light. Just combine with your favourite shorts / jersey.

Warmers Cycling Woman UPF 50 + LIGHT ARM SLEEVES - Castelli Cycling (castelli-cycling.com)

I've tried the arm sleeves in about 37C degree heat (that's 98.6F) in the sun and you can spray a bit of water on them to cool you off (better than spraying warm-ish water on bare skin), but otherwise it's not exactly -as- cool as bare skin + sunscreen, or that's my perception. Didn't try the leg thingies, but they've got them too.
Old 08-16-22, 01:49 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I have - but don't often use - leggings. Best way to describe them would be "solar sleeves" but for legs. They offer no warmth - just block a lot of sun. I don't use them often because my legs seldom get too hot (or too cold in winter). That and I always forget I have them until I'm out on an hours-long ride and wonder if I should have brought them lol

I regularly wear my solar sleeves in the sun - they are cooler than bare arms if you're moving and the odd squirt from the water bottle onto the sleeves does a wonderful job for evaporative cooling.

Not exactly sure where I got them but I'd be willing to bet it was Aliexpress for very little money. The big surprise for me is that they fit as well as they do... I have short, thick legs (28" inseam and 28" thighs) so I don't usually get as lucky as I did with these.

Good luck!
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 08-16-22, 02:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Check with Aerotech. What you are looking for is basic Lycra non-lined tights,
Old 08-16-22, 03:01 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 171 Posts
As others have said, I'm guessing leggings of some sort to wear with cycling shorts is the solution.

You mention sunscreen doesn't work for you. If it literally is not blocking well enough, give a good mineral based sunscreen a try. It will give you a slightly pale look, but they work really well. I like this one becasue it spreads relatively easily and works well:

https://www.amazon.com/SPF-Rx-Sunscr...2-d605505c9d1e

Using this, my legs stay almost as white as the parts of me that never see the sun. I live in the desert southwest in the US and ride 8-10 hours per week mostly in full sun, though early in the day. I get no sense of over exposure even on 4-hour rides.

One time I inadvertently ordered the chemical version of this brand. The label is almost identical. I used it for a few months and finally thought this must be a defective batch. That's when I discovered I hadn't been using the mineral version. I think mineral sunscreens may help keep you cooler because they work by reflecting the sun.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 08-16-22, 04:45 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Suggest the white version of 'Leg Warmers'
seeing more of these, along with many now using 'sunsleeves'. (been using them for 20 yrs ...? +-)
my preference for sun leg sleeves is
Castelli UPF 50+ Sun Leg sleeves - https://www.performancebike.com/cast...001-3/p1294084
currently seem to be on sale in many places - just ordered a 2nd pair for $37 incl ship & tax...
also work great when there's a little nip in the air, but it's sunny and will warm up in short order. Black leg warmers become hot and uncomfortable quickly on those days.
These have a zipper, so easier removal when out on a ride.
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: I've been using the white ARM Sunsleeves for a long time, but recently, this April started using the leg sleeves also. We get a marine layer in Spring which can be quite chilly, but black leg or knee warmers is too much cover, and by Mid-Day the sun breaks thru. So the white leg sleeves are a great morning option.
EDIT 2: So you don;t get the wrong idea - the White sleeves and leggings are not Hot. Interestingly, they are very cool on a warm and sunny day, and also add a little touch of warmth on cool, overcast days... so work great for most situations. Seeing a lot of younger riders using them now also...

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-16-22 at 11:01 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-18-22, 10:44 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Ive gotten a few pairs of these from general purpose sporting goods stores.

Under Armor makes them, and Academy has a house brand (BCG ) that ive worn ---- The Under Armor pair i have are knickers length as well
Old 08-18-22, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Pearl Izumi, Casteli and others make sun leggings just like they make sun sleeves. Haven't used leggings myself

I use sun sleeves all the time when I ride so I only have to slather sunscreen on my neck ears and knees. And I'll say that if you normally average 16 mph or better on your rides, you'll like them on even the hottest of days. However if you normally average 12 mph or less you'll hate them. In between and it's a toss up.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-22, 09:00 PM
theapodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Leggings
I like these leggings in the sun. The brand is lafroi. They are comfortable come in outrageous patterns that I feel like drivers notice. Above 90 F they get warm.
​​​​​
Old 08-19-22, 01:35 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
MTB knee pads will protect your lower legs from sunburn and also provide knee protection in a crash.

https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/...-mtb-knee-pads