Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubular tire that will last longer than 300 miles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-14-22, 05:56 PM
Lastblast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been running Tubular tires now for a couple years. Originally the tires I took off my Mavic Ksyrium SR wheelset where Vittoria Corsa CX 25/28 Pro Series. They where glued on and I cleaned up the glue (which took hours) and decided to go with Tufo High Composite 25.

I mostly went with the Tufo tires because I thought at the time they where the only ones I could tape on. I really do not have the patience to glue and from what I read if you tape them on correctly they seem to work okay.

Well, I am on my 3rd set of Tufo tires and all I can say is they don’t last me more than 300 miles, I have read that other people have complained about that. The Vittoria that I took off had close to 1000 miles on them, can a tire like that be taped?

My question is, anyone have any suggestions for a tire that will last longer than 300 miles and works fine taped on tubular wheelsets. I am 230 lbs and am riding a 2008 Trek madone 6.5. I am happy with taping the tires, and no plan on gluing anytime soon, thanks.
Old 08-14-22, 06:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 1,714 Posts
Curious to know, what led you to the decision to ride tubulars?

Old 08-14-22, 06:28 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had issues with the wheelset I had with my bike, saw a set on craigslist and really didnt know what I was buying. Have considered going back to carbon with clinchers but stuff like that rarely goes up for sale in my area so the cost of going back really isnt an option.
In reality I would really love to have disc brakes. Cant stand friction type, always have hated them.
Old 08-14-22, 07:23 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Oh man, where do I start? What exactly do you mean 'last longer than 300 miles'? Tread life? 300 miles before they puncture? ANY tire should get 3-4 times that in tread life. I have a TON of experience w/ tubulars. Used to work for a few pro teams and some of them raced only on tubulars. I've ridden and raced on them a TON. Probably installed more than 1500 over the last 25 years. I would NEVER tape a tire on. No pro team mechanic tapes tires...they're all glued. You don't need to remove glue every time you mount new tires if you're careful removing the old ones and they were glued properly. Lastly, Tufo tires suck. They're technically not 'tubulars' as there isn't a tube inside the tire. They butylize the inside of the casing. Most of their tires ride like crap and have poor traction. The good points...they're durable (unlike your experience) and tend to be incredibly round and straight. If you want to keep using those wheels I'd try something like Conti Sprinters. My best advice? Get some clinchers.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-14-22, 09:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
300 miles? Even for me that would mean a new tire every 2 weeks. F that.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-14-22, 09:27 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I learned my lesson decades ago when I bought a Motobecane Le Champion road bike at a bike shop I worked in. Since I had the opportunity to choose any wheelset they carried, I chose to build a set with Phil Woods hubs and sew up tires. I took it on a tour with a group from the shop later that summer. Carried 2 spares and by the time I was back home after riding about 300 miles I had gone through both spares and patched the two I took off. I got a pair of clincher rims and rebuilt the wheels. It stayed that way until I finally gave the bike away about 5 years ago.
Old 08-15-22, 05:32 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
From my personal experience, conti sprinters always get me 1500 to 2000 miles rear
unless i get flinted. Also glue tapes are garbage, use conti alu glue on the alu
rims and give them a few hours of set up time before the first ride after gluing.

I weigh 70KG and ride with 100psi tire pressure. I have even worn up to threadbare
on the rear with conti sprinters, and then use that takeoff as a carry spare.
Amazing traction with those tires,and no, I do not rep conti.
Old 08-15-22, 12:07 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have an old set of tubular wheels that I used to use for CX racing. I still screw around with them once in a while, I've got a set of Donnely PDX tires glued on there that are probably 3 years old now - I rode these yesterday at the pump track with my kid. Glue job is still holding strong but I wouldn't trust them in a CX race or probably even out on the road. Back when I raced CX on tubulars, I was getting a new set glued on every season by a local shop. Challenge tubulars were my favorite - super cushy and grippy.

That said, I have no idea why in the year 2022 anyone not being paid to win bike races would ride tubular tires. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing, but not exactly easy to live with on a day-to-day basis. Tubeless gives me 90% of what I got out of tubulars with far less hassle and cost.
Old 08-15-22, 02:50 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
If getting only 300 miles on any tire something is wrong. As usual not nearly enough information to even guess what the problem might be. Instead a starting point for bashing tubulars one more time. Will also note that OP is talking third set of tires that only get 300 miles and this record of failure has taken years. So OP barely rides or barely rode these tires. And after total failure the same tire was used again. And again. I am not sure when Vittoria CX were discontinued, will just say it has been years since OP's good tubulars were last made. Current Vitt CG last longer. Of course Vittoria can be taped if you must be that way. At a self reported 230# 25mm tires are not going to work well and will not last. Vittoria makes the CG in 28 and 30mm.
Old 08-16-22, 04:12 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastblast
I am 230 lbs
I rode tubulars for 30 years and depending on the tire got 1500 to 2000 miles out of them. In 1998 I switched to clinchers and have NEVER considered going back to tubulars. I get close to 4,000 miles out of Continental GP 5000 clinchers. You give no information about what kind of tire failure you are experiencing so it is impossible to comment but both from "standard knowledge" and personal experience with trying loaded touring on tubulars, I would not recommend tubulars to anyone who weighs more that 180 lbs or so.
Old 08-16-22, 05:03 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I rode tubulars for 30 years and depending on the tire got 1500 to 2000 miles out of them. In 1998 I switched to clinchers and have NEVER considered going back to tubulars. I get close to 4,000 miles out of Continental GP 5000 clinchers. You give no information about what kind of tire failure you are experiencing so it is impossible to comment but both from "standard knowledge" and personal experience with trying loaded touring on tubulars, I would not recommend tubulars to anyone who weighs more that 180 lbs or so.
There is no way I will ever get below 180 lbs so that blows. This was one, and 3 others where instant blow outs, where I heard them pop and knew i needed to slow down quick. I have one new one on the bike and one that has a hundred or so miles on it.
Its getting so bad I look at the tires after every ride. Sometimes I see little divots or small cuts in the tire.
I have spent years on tracks with motorcycles so always checking equipment is the norm for me.

Someone has a used/almost new set of Tokyo Areo Carbon Epic 5.6 for sale on craigs for $399. I dont know enough about carbons but I am guessing these are not that great.
Old 08-16-22, 05:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Do you skid it and keep the wheel locked up? That looks like more than just normal wear.

There was something I read one time long ago about the number of skid patches a tire could get, but I never did understand what that was about.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-16-22, 05:19 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you skid it and keep the wheel locked up? That looks like more than just normal wear.

There was something I read one time long ago about the number of skid patches a tire could get, but I never did understand what that was about.
It was a very minor lock up on rear when an old person on a bike didnt know what side of the trail they where supposed to ride on, on a e-bike (cant stand those things, they are everywhere)
With friction brakes lock ups for me at least isnt as common as on my Disc braked Mtn Bike
Old 08-16-22, 05:36 PM
cxwrench

There is no way I will ever get below 180 lbs so that blows. This was one, and 3 others where instant blow outs, where I heard them pop and knew i needed to slow down quick. I have one new one on the bike and one that has a hundred or so miles on it.
Its getting so bad I look at the tires after every ride. Sometimes I see little divots or small cuts in the tire.
I have spent years on tracks with motorcycles so always checking equipment is the norm for me.

Someone has a used/almost new set of Tokyo Areo Carbon Epic 5.6 for sale on craigs for $399. I dont know enough about carbons but I am guessing these are not that great.
That's more than a minor skid. Of course you're going to wear through the tread on a nice quality tire if you lock up the brake. Why didn't you mention that at the beginning of the thread?
Originally Posted by Iride01

Fixed gear skid patches...they vary depending on the size of the tire and the gear ratio you're using.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-16-22, 06:37 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Why didn't you mention that at the beginning of the thread?

[/QUOTE]

Because the original Vittoria I had on there lasted around 1000 miles and with the Tufo I have had the one in the photo, and 3 others Pop in a 300 mile range. I dont believe in coincidences when I have that many issues with Tufo, which everything I haver read on them is that they are supposed to be a long lasting, low performance tire.
Old 08-16-22, 08:00 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 415 Posts
I bought five Continental Giro tubulars on sale for the 4 tubular wheels I have, and I've been riding two of them off and on for awhile. They have removable Presta valve cores, so living here in Goatheadland, I put in a bottle of Stan's sealant. It works. So does either Tufo tape, or Jantex tape, which is quite a bit less expensive.

Thanks to the rim tape, removable valve cores, and modern sealant, sew-ups can be MUCH less hassle than they used to be. This is coming from someone who repaired and re-glued dozens of them, long ago.

For all the people who feel great bikes deserve to be ridden, so do great wheels...
Old 08-16-22, 09:19 PM
cxwrench

Just say no to tape. I have personally pushed a Conti right off a rim that was taped w/ Tufo. Tire had 100psi in it. If it worked you'd see every pro that still rides on tubulars riding on taped tires...mechanics would be all over it because it's such a time save. But here we are in reality land and there aren't any. Not a one. That says a lot to me. That and the hundreds of tubulars I've mounted and never had one roll.
Old 08-16-22, 10:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
I ride tubulars, have for years - not a commuter, not a racer. I have weighed up to 205#. I would suggest a 27+mm tire at your weight, but 25mm should also work OK. Continental Sprinter Gatorskins should be durable. Veloflex works for me, on sale.

Here is what I'm riding as of now.
Schwalbe One - 30mm - easily over 1000miles, tough as nails, not very supple when pumped hard, several years old so not sure it is the exact tire sold today.

Veloflex in both 25 & 27mm - these are my favorite tubular, buy them on sale @merlin UK. Good suppleless, good durability.

Vittoria Corsa 25mm almost as nice a ride as Veloflex, but only a few 100 MI on first set.

Challenge Elite in 25mm - less supple than the Vittoria, again = not enough miles to assess durability

Continental Sprinters in 22mm not supple at this width but excellent road feel and durability. New Sprinters also come in a wider 24/25mm.

The cheaper Continental Giros and Vittoria Rally have also graced my wheels

Specialized Turbo - 24mm race tire, great traction, short wear life.

Good luck in tubular world.
C&V has a Totally Tubular sticky thread. Ask there as well.

Oh - I have no experience with Tufo.
Old 08-17-22, 07:42 AM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I bought five Continental Giro tubulars on sale for the 4 tubular wheels I have, and I've been riding two of them off and on for awhile. They have removable Presta valve cores, so living here in Goatheadland, I put in a bottle of Stan's sealant. It works. So does either Tufo tape, or Jantex tape, which is quite a bit less expensive.

Thanks to the rim tape, removable valve cores, and modern sealant, sew-ups can be MUCH less hassle than they used to be. This is coming from someone who repaired and re-glued dozens of them, long ago.

For all the people who feel great bikes deserve to be ridden, so do great wheels...

I have orange seal in the tires, the one that is for tubular tires. We have lots of goat heads here, but thats not what is causing it. More thank likely small sharp rocks on bike lanes blown off from the road, and my large framed 235 lb body. I was running these at 110 to 120 lbs.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I ride tubulars, have for years - not a commuter, not a racer. I have weighed up to 205#. I would suggest a 27+mm tire at your weight, but 25mm should also work OK. Continental Sprinter Gatorskins should be durable. Veloflex works for me, on sale.

Here is what I'm riding as of now.

Schwalbe One - 30mm - easily over 1000miles, tough as nails, not very supple when pumped hard, several years old so not sure it is the exact tire sold today.

Veloflex in both 25 & 27mm - these are my favorite tubular, buy them on sale @merlin UK. Good suppleless, good durability.

Vittoria Corsa 25mm almost as nice a ride as Veloflex, but only a few 100 MI on first set.

Challenge Elite in 25mm - less supple than the Vittoria, again = not enough miles to assess durability

Continental Sprinters in 22mm not supple at this width but excellent road feel and durability. New Sprinters also come in a wider 24/25mm.

The cheaper Continental Giros and Vittoria Rally have also graced my wheels

Specialized Turbo - 24mm race tire, great traction, short wear life.

Good luck in tubular world.

C&V has a Totally Tubular sticky thread. Ask there as well.

Oh - I have no experience with Tufo.

Thanks, yours is probably the most informative reply and I will check into your recommendations. Pretty much my only choices are buy a new bike with Disc brakes (which I really really want) and carbon wheels, or put more money into this old bike, which probably wouldnt be the best choice.

I love the way I can take off with these tubulars. And being 235 with athletic build when at traffic lights its zero to top speed in a heart beat or so..
Old 08-17-22, 09:27 AM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I’ve had the Vittoria Rubino G tubular tires (25mm) on my commuter/single speed and they have been rock solid so far. Not sure how many miles (definitely more than 500), but I put them on over the winter and they’ve rode like a champ on these very tough streets. I have a pair of Veloflex for when these wear out, but it might be some time for that.

I used tape for mine - not a fan of the messy glue.

Last edited by Lostin76; 08-17-22 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added tape info
Old 08-17-22, 09:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
From the picture, that sure looks like user error. Or, as they say, 'a loose nut behind the wheel'.

Perhaps OP needs to work on their braking technique? Maybe they are primarily using the rear brake, which is much easier to lock up than when (more correctly) primarily using the front brake.
Old 08-17-22, 09:54 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I
In reality I would really love to have disc brakes. Cant stand friction type, always have hated them.

All brakes are friction type

Friction on the outer rim, or friction on a small disc
Old 08-17-22, 10:24 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 252 Posts
Reads more like you ride on really crappy roads.
Are the punctures pinch flats or single hole punctures?
230lbs...what tire pressure do you run?
Are you a "snow plow" rider...hitting every pothole, road crack, etc. not riding "lightly" going over said obstacles results in many more flats for those that don't know how or don't bother to ride "lightly" regardless of weight.
You're likely better off on at least 28mm tires.
Old 08-17-22, 10:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Pretty much my only choices are buy a new bike with Disc brakes (which I really really want) and carbon wheels, or put more money into this old bike, which probably wouldnt be the best choice.

I love the way I can take off with these tubulars. And being 235 with athletic build when at traffic lights its zero to top speed in a heart beat or so..
New bike desires follow all of us. And the allure of higher performance and speed. And new bikes have some obvious advantages over older bikes. Remember with a tubular set-up the biggest advantage is lower rotating weight of the wheel and tire - the wheel being the biggest contributor.

On the sealant, I ruined a couple of valves by having the sealant clog them up when the wheels sat un-used for a while (a given with my number of bikes). I now try to remember to keep valves at the top of the tire's rotation at the end of a ride. Not being in goathead territory, I have stopped using sealant as a preventative and carry a small amount on rides should it be needed.

These would be my recommendations for a buy today. $68, $48 and $56 respectively from Merlin.

27mm
Veloflex Protour Tubular Tyre - 700c | Merlin Cycles

30mm
Vittoria Corsa G+ Isotech Tubular Tyre - 700c | Merlin Cycles

25mm
Continental Sprinter Gatorskin Tubular Road Tyre - 700c | Merlin Cycles
Old 08-17-22, 01:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just say no to tape. I have personally pushed a Conti right off a rim that was taped w/ Tufo. Tire had 100psi in it. If it worked you'd see every pro that still rides on tubulars riding on taped tires...mechanics would be all over it because it's such a time save. But here we are in reality land and there aren't any. Not a one. That says a lot to me. That and the hundreds of tubulars I've mounted and never had one roll.
OTOH, I used Jantex tape to stick Conti Giros to the rims, and I can't get the darn things off!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.