Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drop brake lever reach

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drop brake lever reach

Old 08-17-22, 12:55 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Drop brake lever reach

So I have had drops on my old MTB conversion for a while, and I love it. My One complaint is that in the drops I struggle to reach the levers. This bike does not have integrated shifting. I am wondering is there a brake lever out there that is adjustable; other than brifters. Is there one for people with small hands that would have a shorter reach? Or is there an adjustment I am not aware of? these are pretty basic levers. But I have the same issue with my Brifters. I have to have them adjusted way in to reach. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-17-22, 01:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
There are levers for small hands. Go to a women's specific site and look. (I have big hands so I have no advice there. I do my best to stay well clear of those levers.)

A trick - slide your levers further down the handlebars. This will swing the levers back. It is a basic ride change when you are riding on the hoods so it may not be a good answer for you. I like my hoods projecting forwards, not diagonally up. Always have. If you look at the old racing photos you can see many others doing the same. (I've always liked a very long reach and cannot stand hoods that rotate my wrists up when I am out of the saddle.)
Old 08-17-22, 02:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6065 Post(s)
Liked 4,697 Times in 3,239 Posts
Many Shimano STI's have a reach adjustment on the levers to allow them to be a little closer to the bars. Some of the older STI's used a block that was put into place and most of the newer STI's use a screw adjust you either have to pull the hood back or some you pull the lever back some and get to the screw in the space above the lever.

If you know your model of STI, then the DM's at Shimano's tech doc site will show you how to adjust them. If you have other than Shimano levers, then you'll have to search for their doc's. Most everything I've used for the last 12 years has been Shimano.
Old 08-17-22, 02:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Do a search for brake lever shims for your specific lever; they are made for this very purpose.

Example: https://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/101...-4500-shifters

Last edited by Rolla; 08-17-22 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 02:09 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,668 Times in 941 Posts
The Tektro RL341 is specifically a short reach drop bar brake levers:

https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Womens.../dp/B003I6FL3E
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-17-22, 07:57 PM
tornado60

I thought I'd post a pic of what I have.

Last edited by tornado60; 08-18-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 08:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
I bought the Tektro RL341 for my wife and recently installed them on my bike. They have a little shorter reach. I’m not sure the actual reach is closer than an 80’s Dia Compe lever, but they are a lot more comfortable riding on the hoods.

The lever flares out which makes it easier. There really isn’t a true adjustment but you can set the lever return at 2 set points; closer or farther.

John
Old 08-17-22, 08:50 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Ultegra short reach brakes NIB currently resting in my garage.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-18-22, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6065 Post(s)
Liked 4,697 Times in 3,239 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado60
I thought I'd post a pic of what I have.
I don't even know what those are!

If when you are braking hard, you have plenty of distance from the lever to the bars, then you might just open up the distance the pads are to the rim. That'll let you pull the levers to a more comfortable grip before the pads engage the rim.

Changing to a new lever might help. But with your actual brake type and the trigger shifters on the bar, I'm well out of my experience to suggest what to get.
Old 08-18-22, 12:52 PM
tornado60

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't even know what those are!

If when you are braking hard, you have plenty of distance from the lever to the bars, then you might just open up the distance the pads are to the rim. That'll let you pull the levers to a more comfortable grip before the pads engage the rim.

Changing to a new lever might help. But with your actual brake type and the trigger shifters on the bar, I'm well out of my experience to suggest what to get.
Thanks. I don't know what they are either. Cheap off brand most likely. I bought the entire setup bars levers and shifters used together for the Shifters. The levers were there so I went ahead and used them. Lever pull is fine. I just can't actually reach them very good. Fingers aren't quite long enough. Honestly I think if they had an adjustment I'd of found it. But figured I'd ask since it wouldn't be the first time I missed something. Mostly I just didn't know what was out there for short fingered people. Figured someone here would.