Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike radar units

Old 08-16-22, 10:49 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 259 Posts
Bike radar units

Looking at the specs on one of the Garmin units I see it must be connected to a head unit to emit a warning beep. Are there any other radar units out there that don’t require this? In other words have their own sound source?
I’m not interested in any other feature but a simple warning tone.
Old 08-16-22, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
The current Gamin units will also pair with a phone app.

Other than the Garmin offerings, there will be a couple of new products available soon, one from Bryton and... I forget the other. You can find some preliminary info on them online, at DC Rainmaker, among others.

Really though, you're missing out on a huge chunk of the functionality if you don't have a screen indicating the number of vehicles approaching, their relative speed, etc.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-16-22, 11:44 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,597 Times in 756 Posts
I doubt you would hear any tone from a unit mounted behind you on your seat post.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-16-22, 12:10 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I have the Varia paired with a head unit for the visual que, but also have the mobile app open on my phone in my jersey pocket. The phone is paired to a bone conductive headset (Shokz) and I receive the audible alert of when a car approaches and passes. You could also get a visual que from the mobile app if you mounted your phone on the bars, but I prefer it to be tucked up in my pocket.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 08-16-22, 01:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Another member here says they get a vibration in their Garmin Fenix when they get a Varia radar alert. Probably more noticeable than a audible alert from anything. I think that is Seattle Forrest . Maybe he'll add if there are any constraints or if vibration is or isn't a feature in the many other Garmin watches of Forerunner, Fenix, Epix and all the other flavors of Garmin wearable including the vivo-whatever fitness devices.

Oh excuse me, I just looked back and saw that you don't want any other feature but a simple warning tone!

So I guess a vibration is out. <grin>
Old 08-16-22, 02:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Really though, you're missing out on a huge chunk of the functionality if you don't have a screen indicating the number of vehicles approaching, their relative speed, etc.
This x1000.

I can understand the cleaner cockpit less tech riders wanting the benefit without a GPS. But IMO it's pretty much mandatory to be of true use.

The reason is, the visual provides you a safety decision making point of "bail/look". If you see a vehicle approaching super fast, either they didn't see you or they DGAF about you. So you have a split second to check your mirror and decide to bail or not. With just audible, you have no idea.

If a car does see you, you will see it slow approach and then "sit" in behind you waiting to pass safely. If it doesn't or doesn't care it will progress at full speed.

It's not a replacement for a mirror, but additional.

I wish the Varia would upgrade to provide a signal if/when a vehicle is directly behind versus a few feet over. Like laser or something.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-16-22, 02:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,825 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This x1000.

I can understand the cleaner cockpit less tech riders wanting the benefit without a GPS. But IMO it's pretty much mandatory to be of true use.

The reason is, the visual provides you a safety decision making point of "bail/look". If you see a vehicle approaching super fast, either they didn't see you or they DGAF about you. So you have a split second to check your mirror and decide to bail or not. With just audible, you have no idea.

If a car does see you, you will see it slow approach and then "sit" in behind you waiting to pass safely. If it doesn't or doesn't care it will progress at full speed.

It's not a replacement for a mirror, but additional.

I wish the Varia would upgrade to provide a signal if/when a vehicle is directly behind versus a few feet over. Like laser or something.
Additionally, the screen will show if there are two or even three cars coming up on you, and their relative positions. This is particularly valuable, as I've noticed that sometimes, after a vehicle passes me, I relax and drift a bit back into the traffic lane -- only to be surprised by another vehicle. The Varia prevents that.

So, yeah, I agree with others who've recommended that you really, really, really need a compatible computer to get the Varia's full benefit.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-16-22, 02:58 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I have the Varia paired with a head unit for the visual que, but also have the mobile app open on my phone in my jersey pocket. The phone is paired to a bone conductive headset (Shokz) and I receive the audible alert of when a car approaches and passes. You could also get a visual que from the mobile app if you mounted your phone on the bars, but I prefer it to be tucked up in my pocket.

Good luck.

Mike
I do the same, but with the app paired to my bluetooth hearing aids for the audible tone. Works like a champ!
Old 08-16-22, 03:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
The only reason I broke down and bought a Garmin head unit was because I wanted to have the radar (when it first came out). As others mentioned, the newer versions have Bluetooth and can emit a sound/vibration on a phone, even in your pocket.

Garmin also sells a radar-specific head unit for about $100. For me it was an easy choice to get the Garmin Edge 25 at the time (then the 130, then the 530). They don't make the 25 any more, but the 130 plus can still be had, and is a nice small minimalistic Garmin Edge with nearly all of the basic functionality one could want, apart from colored maps.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-17-22, 06:55 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Garmin also sells a radar-specific head unit for about $100. For me it was an easy choice to get the Garmin Edge 25 at the time (then the 130, then the 530). They don't make the 25 any more, but the 130 plus can still be had, and is a nice small minimalistic Garmin Edge with nearly all of the basic functionality one could want, apart from colored maps.
Unfortunately it appears that Garmin has discontinued the Varia Radar Display Unit.
Old 08-17-22, 08:42 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Unfortunately it appears that Garmin has discontinued the Varia Radar Display Unit.
My guess is very few people used it.
Old 08-17-22, 09:22 AM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I’ve recently splurged for the Garmin Varia radar/taillight with a Hammerhead Karoo head unit. I do have to say it’s pretty great. Love how quickly it picks up cars and the visual progress showed on the left side of the Hammerhead is really useful. As others have said, you can pair it with your phone to get the beep.
Old 08-17-22, 11:55 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
My guess is very few people used it.
Agreed. The display came out with the original Rearview Radar back in 2015 I believe. I doubt they were selling many in recent years.
Old 08-17-22, 12:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Agreed. The display came out with the original Rearview Radar back in 2015 I believe. I doubt they were selling many in recent years.
My own experience was to look at the option briefly, and then realize for about $60 more, I could get the Edge 25, which was the least expensive Garmin that had GPS and worked with the radar. (I still have that radar, but the 25 died long ago).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-17-22, 02:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
The only reason I broke down and bought a Garmin head unit was because I wanted to have the radar (when it first came out). As others mentioned, the newer versions have Bluetooth and can emit a sound/vibration on a phone, even in your pocket.

This. I actually PREFER the radar sound on the 130 as it’s louder than the 530. If you or anyone knows how to make the alert louder on the 530, please share!!
Old 08-17-22, 02:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I don't know how, but I remember you asking, and me trying to find out (and finding that it isn't documented). Is it mounted the same way? Mine is mounted on top of the stem, and I have no problem hearing it. I never did a side-by-side comparison with the 130, but it didn't strike me as significantly different, i.e. enough to notice.
Old 08-17-22, 03:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
This. I actually PREFER the radar sound on the 130 as it’s louder than the 530. If you or anyone knows how to make the alert louder on the 530, please share!!
Push the up button on the left side, then <sensors> <select your varia id> <sensor details> <radar alert settings> <tones> then you have a choice of multi tone or single tone. Try the other. Though I think multi tone is the default and if you can't here that then you are probably not going to hear the single tone. But maybe worth a try.

Despite my bad hearing, I still hear the cars behind me before my varia alerts. I guess I'm good at those particular frequencies. And my son's Edge 1030+ has a more noticeable alert than my Edge 530.
Old 08-17-22, 04:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
I don't know if it's any good, but this 'Teen Tok' tail-light camera streams live video to your smart phone:
https://www.amazon.com/TEENTOK-Rear-.../dp/B088RB82F5
Seems to me that the live rear view feed is far more useful than 2 tiny dots on a tiny screen. Does the Cycliq stream live video? Or does it only record?