Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Old 08-17-22, 10:07 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
LOL

UPS sent a frameset to California that was destined for Ohio once - with BF labels

Eventually it got sorted out but took a while (like maybe 2 weeks )
Old 08-17-22, 10:16 AM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Amazon and FedEx have delivered items addressed to me to the wrong city (Cedar Rapids for 'zon, Houston for FedEx). UPS screwed up one delivery so royally that they cost me $3,000 in lost income; I will never use UPS again if I have a reasonable choice. I live at #2324 on my street; some stuff is misdelivered, for example, to 2425 or 2320, and vice versa. IME, USPS has been the best.
I've been on ****** UPS. After reading some of the horror stories I feel better about my predicament.
Old 08-17-22, 02:17 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by J_Chickles
LOL

UPS sent a frameset to California that was destined for Ohio once - with BF labels

Eventually it got sorted out but took a while (like maybe 2 weeks )
Thats the problem with searching for the bikes. They could literally be anywhere. If the bikes were stolen from my garage I'd at least have a starting point.
Old 08-17-22, 02:26 PM
amazinmets73

FWIW, here's one of the bikes. The other is a 2005 Roubaix elite with an upgraded 3T wheelset.

Obviously a long shot, but if anyone sees one of the bikes, please let me know. The formers uniqueness should make it more conspicuous.
Old 08-17-22, 03:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
Report them on https://bikeindex.org as stolen (or lost).

It worked nearly immediately for someone I know well.
Old 08-17-22, 03:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Perhaps some takeaways from this thread;

Use AirTags so you can have some indication of location
Insure with shipper
Have home/renter coverage which includes bikes
Say a prayer to Madonna del Ghisallo
If lost say a prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua
Old 08-17-22, 03:31 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
UPS lost a bike I shipped. It was insured. I spent six months trying to find it, talked to dozens of UPS employees who understood it was a custom bike and I wanted it. They wanted to help. Some had seen the distinctive shipping case. One had been on the scene when the locks were broken and the contents examined. Contents included my business card taped to the lid in two locations, my name on the top tube, the name of the builder, who was local to destination, and two water bottles from a local to destination LBS. Waterbottles were complete with address and phone number and the shop knew the bike well.

After six months UPS was out of excuses to not pay the insurance. I called. Only a vice president could approve a payout that large. Took about an hour to get transferred to a VP. I talked to a VP who instantly put me on hold. Two minutes later he had found the bike. I asked how he had done that when the staff had spent six fruitless months. He said "I have codes they can't access." To which I replied "In other words you don't give them access to codes they need to do their job." He came back with "We don't trust them."

It would be another two weeks before I got the bike. UPS would not deliver. I had to drive to a regional center to claim it. I was treated like a terrorist. Surrounded by a flock of armed security. I opened the case to verify contents. I pointed to my name on top tube, pointed to my business cards taped inside the lid. The supervisor in charge of this operation at that time spoke to security and said "Get him out of here." I was manhandled and carried out the door by the goons. Once out in parking lot the goons put me down and literally begged forgiveness and asked me not to press charges. They said at least one of them was going to be fired before the day was over because the supervisor was that way.

I have not used UPS for anything since.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 08-17-22, 03:50 PM
amazinmets73

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/1375471

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/1375455
Old 08-17-22, 04:02 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by 63rickert
UPS lost a bike I shipped. It was insured. I spent six months trying to find it, talked to dozens of UPS employees who understood it was a custom bike and I wanted it. They wanted to help. Some had seen the distinctive shipping case. One had been on the scene when the locks were broken and the contents examined. Contents included my business card taped to the lid in two locations, my name on the top tube, the name of the builder, who was local to destination, and two water bottles from a local to destination LBS. Waterbottles were complete with address and phone number and the shop knew the bike well.

After six months UPS was out of excuses to not pay the insurance. I called. Only a vice president could approve a payout that large. Took about an hour to get transferred to a VP. I talked to a VP who instantly put me on hold. Two minutes later he had found the bike. I asked how he had done that when the staff had spent six fruitless months. He said "I have codes they can't access." To which I replied "In other words you don't give them access to codes they need to do their job." He came back with "We don't trust them."

It would be another two weeks before I got the bike. UPS would not deliver. I had to drive to a regional center to claim it. I was treated like a terrorist. Surrounded by a flock of armed security. I opened the case to verify contents. I pointed to my name on top tube, pointed to my business cards taped inside the lid. The supervisor in charge of this operation at that time spoke to security and said "Get him out of here." I was manhandled and carried out the door by the goons. Once out in parking lot the goons put me down and literally begged forgiveness and asked me not to press charges. They said at least one of them was going to be fired before the day was over because the supervisor was that way.

Based on my correspondence with Bikeflights, I had a sneaking suspicion the only reason they were willing to honor the insurance was the value was so low. This seems to confirm it.
Old 08-17-22, 04:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Based on my correspondence with Bikeflights, I had a sneaking suspicion the only reason they were willing to honor the insurance was the value was so low. This seems to confirm it.

Threads like this pull me in two different directions. My heart goes out to people who get ripped off. I truly loathe a thief.

On the other hand, some people make it ridiculously easy. Shipping insurance is a relative bargain. I can't imagine declining it at the rates that are charged by major carriers.
Old 08-17-22, 04:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts

That story is ... unbelievable.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-17-22, 06:05 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You are free to believe anything you wish. This all occurred in 1999 and 2000. At which time it was still possible to get live people on the phone and on a few occasions UPS workers called me. That part would not happen again in any large organization.
Old 08-17-22, 06:11 PM
tomato coupe

You are free to believe anything you wish. This all occurred in 1999 and 2000. At which time it was still possible to get live people on the phone and on a few occasions UPS workers called me. That part would not happen again in any large organization.
I get live people on the phone at FedEx, DHL, and UPS all the time. And, sometimes, they phone me.
Old 08-17-22, 06:42 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Most carriers will give you the ability to increase your Declared Value (DV) or insure it. Always get the additional insurance. DV is just BS.

"Declared value coverage is not insurance, but it does raise the financial liability of the carrier. Depending on the shipping company that you use, the declared value might represent different things. As an example, UPS uses the declared value to establish its maximum liability in the event of loss or damage to the package."
Old 08-25-22, 07:12 AM
amazinmets73

I spoke to UPS yesterday and they said they'd search their warehouses for the bikes. I received two emails from Bikeflights around 3am today stating both boxes had "shipped", but when I clicked for more information the status was listed as:

"WE'VE BEGUN AN INVESTIGATION TO LOCATE THE PACKAGE."

Prior to yesterday, the status was "We've yet to receive the package"
Old 08-25-22, 10:17 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I get live people on the phone at FedEx, DHL, and UPS all the time. And, sometimes, they phone me.
Does Microsoft phone you up to help with your computer, too?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-25-22, 10:19 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by amazinmets73
I spoke to UPS yesterday and they said they'd search their warehouses for the bikes. I received two emails from Bikeflights around 3am today stating both boxes had "shipped", but when I clicked for more information the status was listed as:

"WE'VE BEGUN AN INVESTIGATION TO LOCATE THE PACKAGE."

Prior to yesterday, the status was "We've yet to receive the package"

This is probably good news, in the sense that it means they haven't absolved themselves of responsibility. You have a reasonable expectation that your packages should be delivered competently, and that the tracking numbers are real. You shouldn't have to insure against incompetence and violation of contractual obligation.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-25-22, 10:26 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yet nearly impossible to make **** like that up.
Old 08-25-22, 11:45 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Does Microsoft phone you up to help with your computer, too?
They have.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-25-22, 11:51 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

They have.
We have a friend who actually fell for the scam, but he was so incompetent installing VNC that the scammer gave up on him.
Old 08-25-22, 12:10 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 343 Posts
Have you asked UPS where their nearest lost package auction sites are? It may be worth having a look at them for your bike boxes.
Old 08-25-22, 01:33 PM
tomato coupe

We have a friend who actually fell for the scam, but he was so incompetent installing VNC that the scammer gave up on him.
You asked if Microsoft has ever phoned me. They have, when I was dealing with an incompatibility issue. Wtf does this have to do with a scam?
Old 08-25-22, 01:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

You asked if Microsoft has ever phoned me. They have, when I was dealing with an incompatibility issue. Wtf does this have to do with a scam?
A very common scam involves a phone call from a scammer claiming to be a microsoft employee ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-a637d5eaaec2
Old 08-25-22, 02:15 PM
tomato coupe

A very common scam involves a phone call from a scammer claiming to be a microsoft employee.
Marvelous. How far off topic do you plan to go with this?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-25-22, 02:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Marvelous. How far off topic do you plan to go with this?
I thought the capt'n of snark would have been just a wee bit quicker on the uptake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.