Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Those that don't train for touring and just "go"...

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Those that don't train for touring and just "go"...

Old 07-20-22, 03:24 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 433 Posts
I take more frequent rest days at the start of the trip until my body catches up.
Old 07-21-22, 01:27 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Just to add to my comment about it being a bad idea not to train, it depends on how severe the consequences of having to abandon are.

Only vacation time, expensive travel, remote location with no easy rescue, its wise to reduce the odds of having to abandon.

If its not a big deal to have to abandon then it probably doesn't matter.
Old 07-22-22, 02:43 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I didn't train to tour before my first tour. My commute was 25 miles round trip, and I often rode 50 or 60 miles on Saturday or Sunday. I also used my bike for shopping and errands. Then I decided to go to New Hampshire and Vermont for a couple of days. Pretty soon I was a touring cyclist.
Even if one isn't in good shape at the start of a tour, one can start with more modest goals for the first few days, and work into good shape.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 08-01-22, 09:28 AM
monsieuroctagon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my most recent tour (225 mi / 3 days) I decided to "just go for it" with my only cycling the months before being a 10 mile commute to my job along a rail trail. After getting to the end my right knee was killing me and will require some physical therapy. My tibialis is weaker on that leg because I have been avoiding putting weight on it and putting less force into it on pedal strokes.

Before the next trip I will build up my leg muscles with some presses and squats and whatever else my therapist recommends. Before my first very long tour I was squatting 140% of my body weight and I fared a lot better in the first weeks of riding.
Old 08-05-22, 07:56 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Big questions
What I've learned from preparing for a trip:
Being in good shape is helpful, but more importantly having a comfortable bike will far out last the time you spend on the bike.
Geometry and not only have a good saddle, but being ready to stay on that saddle for hours.

If you have set destinations, it's best to take a few rides with a loaded bike to see if those distances are good for you. Too short and you might get bored. Too far and you will wear yourself out and probably never bike tour again. Knowing your limitations will make the trip more enjoyable. Set aside entire days for prep riding to see what your limits are.
Also, the more time you spend riding, the better shape you will be. So your first day, compared to a week later could make the difference in 20-30 kms a day.

Set a route, but be ready for anything. The more confident you are in your ability to change plans and adapt, the less nervous you will be in doing it. Eg: Getting lost (or a little confused) is not a problem, it's an opportunity

Finally: Enjoy yourself. If you want to admire a view, do it. If you want to stop for a coffee/tea, do it. If you want to take a nap on the grass, do it. It's not a race, it's a vacation.
This. And there isn't a particular way to set the bike up for everybody. Seems to be lost on some folks on here endlessly.

The seat is a big deal. I use a Selle SMP TRK, and it's a comfortable seat for a certain range, but not for long distance.

Peddling fast is no more for me. Short bursts, and not to many. My knees can't deal with long distances anymore.

Last edited by StarBiker; 08-05-22 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 03:55 PM
ciquta

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i always go 100% untrained, never had the time to
usually i start with a half day, then 75, 90 and by the fourth I'm ready to get 110km.

IMHO training is mandatory only when you have long uphills to face in the first days
Old 08-14-22, 07:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
[QUOTE=ciquta;22610085]i always go 100% untrained, never had the time to
usually i start with a half day, then 75, 90 and by the fourth I'm ready to get 110km.

IMHO training is mandatory only when you have long uphills to face in the first days[/QUOTE]

Just wait till you're old and slow like most of us ;-)

But ya, age plays a part, but even 30 years ago, it helped at least riding regularly, and as you say, shorter starting days is a great way to go.

And ya, I'd agree on if it's right away hilly
Likes For djb:
Old 09-05-22, 10:46 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Seems like the important variable are these:

• Do you experience discomfort that training helps to alleviate such as knee or back pain (similarly, are you concerned about injury)?
  • Are you expecting to ride heroic distances each day? (For me, that would be anything over 50 miles, with ~3k ft of climbing)
  • Is your bike already optimized for your comfort?

Whether or not you need to train depends on if any of these apply to you. With the last one being about confirming bike set up more than conditioning your body

Last edited by Brett A; 09-05-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-09-22, 06:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
Seems like the important variable are these:
  • Do you experience discomfort that training helps to alleviate such as knee or back pain (similarly, are you concerned about injury)?
  • Are you expecting to ride heroic distances each day? (For me, that would be anything over 50 miles, with ~3k ft of climbing)
  • Is your bike already optimized for your comfort?

Whether or not you need to train depends on if any of these apply to you. With the last one being about confirming bike set up more than conditioning your body
Those are good factors to take into account. The second bullet point may have different numbers for different riders and I'd suggest that the numbers need be more conservative at the start and can gradually go up after 10 days to 2 weeks on the road.

I find myself pondering all of this as well as what constitutes a sensible ongoing riding program for maintaining general fitness over the long term. For me I am considering this through the eyes of a 71 year old.

Given a number of factors in my life, plus the fact that I hate the heat and live in Tallahassee, I found myself having hardly been on my bike for a long time. Rather than tough out the heat I started working out on my Concept 2 rowing machine. It is a pretty good workout and I watched a few TV series that I had skipped when they were out. An episode equalled a good workpot.

At some point I got semi serious about riding the Trans America in 2026. That inspired me to start riding regularly again. I get up and ride a mixed bag of surfaces for a half hour or 40 minutes before it gets too hot. It is a bit of pavement to get to the trails and from there I can choose how much is double track and how much is single track. In my younger years I might have scoffed at such short rides, but I enjoy them and figure that getting out for that long every day is a decent amount of exercise and will be enough to maintain good general health. I am pleased with my heart rate numbers as well as my blood pressure as is my doctor (also a cyclist). He is pleased with my bloodword as well.

If I continue this path, I hope I'll be in shape to ride the TA again the year I turn 76. Assuming good health, I am sure that I'll do other longish rides before then including some tours. What specific prep I'll do before the TA I don't know. I guess it depends on how my health is at that time. I'll likely need to seek out some longer climbing to prepare. We do have more and steeper climbs in the Tallahassee area than you might expect, but not what you need to prep for the climbs early in either end of the TA.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-09-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-13-22, 06:56 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Those are good factors to take into account. The second bullet point may have different numbers for different riders and I'd suggest that the numbers need be more conservative at the start and can gradually go up after 10 days to 2 weeks on the road.

I find myself pondering all of this as well as what constitutes a sensible ongoing riding program for maintaining general fitness over the long term. For me I am considering this through the eyes of a 71 year old.

Given a number of factors in my life, plus the fact that I hate the heat and live in Tallahassee, I found myself having hardly been on my bike for a long time. Rather than tough out the heat I started working out on my Concept 2 rowing machine. It is a pretty good workout and I watched a few TV series that I had skipped when they were out. An episode equalled a good workpot.

At some point I got semi serious about riding the Trans America in 2026. That inspired me to start riding regularly again. I get up and ride a mixed bag of surfaces for a half hour or 40 minutes before it gets too hot. It is a bit of pavement to get to the trails and from there I can choose how much is double track and how much is single track. In my younger years I might have scoffed at such short rides, but I enjoy them and figure that getting out for that long every day is a decent amount of exercise and will be enough to maintain good general health. I am pleased with my heart rate numbers as well as my blood pressure as is my doctor (also a cyclist). He is pleased with my bloodword as well.

If I continue this path, I hope I'll be in shape to ride the TA again the year I turn 76. Assuming good health, I am sure that I'll do other longish rides before then including some tours. What specific prep I'll do before the TA I don't know. I guess it depends on how my health is at that time. I'll likely need to seek out some longer climbing to prepare. We do have more and steeper climbs in the Tallahassee area than you might expect, but not what you need to prep for the climbs early in either end of the TA.
You could be in the Mid Atlantic up to NYC and the heat is awful.

I road daily digging in a couple local junk shops for flips for 12 years, in all kinds of weather and found summer to be the lousiest time of year overall. I actually can deal with winter quite well. Winters even not that far from the Mason Dixon Line aren't that bad. Only deep snow, black ice, and bitterly cold temperatures which aren't that often stop me. Like a sunny day and it's 21 Degrees at noon. That kinda sucks. Most of the winter I can ride and not feel like I am going to melt like summer.