Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

3 new Zwift pacebots in Watopia

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 05-12-22, 06:58 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts

https://www.velonews.com/gear/tech-w...rs-to-watopia/

Looks like they will be C-, D+, and.....F (?) powered.

I am a little surprised that one of them wasn't a new C+/B- option between Coco and Bowie. do they really need two new ones between C and D?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-12-22, 07:51 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Agreed, c was too easy for me and I could only hang with b for the volcano. The descent killed me and I had to break off.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-13-22, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Also they're pulling pace bots from the Makuri Islands. That's too bad. Coco can be pretty boring tooling around the flats in Watopia, but the changing gradients in Makuri made it a lot more challenging.

Regarding their choice of power output - I'm thinking they are aiming at beginners.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-13-22, 06:26 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Agreed, c was too easy for me and I could only hang with b for the volcano. The descent killed me and I had to break off.
I lower the trainer difficulty to about 20% when I ride with pace partners for this very reason.
Old 05-13-22, 07:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I can hang with Bowie for an hour on routes like Sand and Sequoias, but it takes effort for sure. OTOH, I like riding with Coco a lot. If I ride with the group, it's not "hard", but just a good tempo ride. And there are commonly grouplets that will ride off the front for a C+ ride, if that's what I want.

But I really would like a bot that was in between the two.
Old 05-18-22, 07:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
They actually didn't pull them from Makuri and modified one of the Makuri bots to be 3.8 W/kg. Also added a 2.0 W/kg to Makuri and a 3.0 W/kg to Watopia.
Old 05-18-22, 11:05 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Wow, I just did my first ride with a pace bot and that was a lot of fun. Not sure why I took so long to try that out? old dog I guess. I have always liked the tour rides (Tour of Watopia, Tour of Zwift, etc...) but those are far and few between now. I used to like the races but the pace is just too much for me now and I go all out and then pay for it. This was perfect, choose a pace bot I can match, get to draft and ride with others - best of all worlds.

Are they on a schedule at all so you can time when to join or just pick a bot and jump right in? I like to have a bit of a warm up first before starting full out.
Old 05-18-22, 11:21 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by gthomson
Wow, I just did my first ride with a pace bot and that was a lot of fun. Not sure why I took so long to try that out? old dog I guess. I have always liked the tour rides (Tour of Watopia, Tour of Zwift, etc...) but those are far and few between now. I used to like the races but the pace is just too much for me now and I go all out and then pay for it. This was perfect, choose a pace bot I can match, get to draft and ride with others - best of all worlds.

Are they on a schedule at all so you can time when to join or just pick a bot and jump right in? I like to have a bit of a warm up first before starting full out.
Just pick one and jump in. You can also pick a lower one to warm up with, end that ride and then pick a faster one to jump in with. Or you can ride the route you know the one you want is on and hope its crew passes you when you're warmed up and ready for it (and end the ride and specifically join it for a new ride if it's not passing you soon). They tend to be running round the clock, though sometimes the crowds are bigger than others.
Likes For himespau:
Old 05-18-22, 11:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I was in the Makuri Islands last night, and encountered "Eddy Echelon", a pace partner running at 1w/kg. He had one follower. I haven't seen any mention of Eddy anywhere, and I thought Zwift was pulling the bots from Makuri?

Old 05-18-22, 11:57 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I was in the Makuri Islands last night, and encountered "Eddy Echelon", a pace partner running at 1w/kg. He had one follower. I haven't seen any mention of Eddy anywhere, and I thought Zwift was pulling the bots from Makuri?
They seemed to have changed that plan after a lot of pushback from riders. Added a couple new pace partners there instead.
Old 05-18-22, 12:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by himespau
They seemed to have changed that plan after a lot of pushback from riders. Added a couple new pace partners there instead.
I couldn't slow down enough to stay with him. I mean, 1w/kg? That's deep, DEEP in Z1. Maybe he's the Recovery Bot.

Old 05-18-22, 12:22 PM
himespau 

The guy in charge of the bot program decided he wanted to add bots at the most common free riding powers (hence the 1.3, 1.8, and 2.1 bots). I guess someone asked him for something super low and he decided to give it a try. I'm not sure I could stay that low. I have a hard time sometimes not going off the front of the original Dan Diesel at 1.5 (other times, he's just about right for a warm up). The 1.8 bot was a great warm up before a race last night.
Old 05-18-22, 01:20 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I was in Makuri Islands today a well and that's where I rode with pace bot. Don't remember her name but she was D classification so probably 1.8? A bit slow for me but it was just a short ride on my lunch break.