Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can I Use My Bike for Resistance Training?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Can I Use My Bike for Resistance Training?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 04:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Mother Nature has us by the balls. It's just a fact of life that we start losing muscle mass in our 30's. https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/...0muscle%20loss.

Cycling uphill (or against a headwind) in your largest gear is resistance/strength training; however, the problem is that you're only exercising one group of muscles. Furthermore, strength training isn't suppose to be done for a sustained period of time, because it's an anaerobic activity. So if you use your bike for strength training, you're developing imbalance in muscle strength, which has very negative results over time.

In my opinion, strength training is crucial for the aging body and no other exercise can give us that stimulation to keep our musculoskeletal system healthy.

This Doctor agrees....

https://youtu.be/X3Q1SBT2S8s
An hour of watching a video about something is maybe more time than most of us are willing to give to any one subject. So watch it 10' a day.

Amen to the doctor! I've done a lot of research on these topics when I could have saved a lot of time and just listened to this lecture a few times. "Compression of morbidity" has been my goal. When I heard that phrase a few years ago, I realized that was a 3 word expression of what I've been working on ever since I started riding again at 50. Why did I start riding again? Because I stumbled one day on my way to the mailbox. I used to frigging climb in Yosemite. My self-image is not of a person who stumbles. So I bought a cheap used bike and hit the gym, which I hadn't done since I was in the Army in my early 20s. I'd let career come between me and my health. Every day at 5:00 became ME time. 27 years later, I'm still at it, not dead yet.
Old 06-01-22, 04:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
The tracking, data, etc., all that is exactly what I DON’T wanna do. Like I understand why you would do it, but for me I feel like I have so much already that I need to keep track of that adding another thing is just going to overwhelm me even more than I already am.
You don't need to keep track of any data, you don't need to compare yourself to others, you don't need to follow some complicated and rigidly structured training routine....All you need is two days per week and a few basic exercises that work your full body...Keep it simple.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-01-22, 05:39 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
You can also do it on the bike. You seemed to have ignore my post when I'm giving you the solution that may be perfect for you.

It's simply riding around in high gear, preferrably doing it when climbing up a hill standing on the pedals (out of the saddle). And doing it in a fashion like you're pushing the handlebar and pedal apart instead of merely dropping your weight on the pedals.

The main advantage of this technique is working out your arm muscles as well, it's a whole body workout and you can push down force greater than your body weight just like in weight training but you're doing it entirely on the bike, what could be better eh?

All it needs is finding a short hill to do it. Few times up a hill a day ought to be enough. That's only couple minutes a day and have fun doing something else on the bike for the rest of the day. Just watchout for your back. If you're feeling the slightest bit of pain on your lower back, then back it off or call it a day.
I already do things similar to that. What I wanted to see and/or gauge was whether that would be sufficient or would I have to hit the gym if I wanted adequate resistance exercises. The consensus seems to be “no” it’s not adequate enough.

Originally Posted by Iride01
A lot of people just ride bikes purely for the enjoyment. They don't track their metrics, nor do they worry much about anything involving health and fitness. They just ride.

And probably they are much healthier just for that alone. I don't think anyone claims that resistance exercise is the only way to be healthier.

So again, I think your focus on resistance might be holding you back or at least be giving you an excuse not to try anything. But then again, I'm not really sure you've said what it is you need to achieve. Nor why you think it has to be through resistance exercise.
Wanting to build muscle and strength overall. For bike-related reasons I want to be able to have better control when doing more technical riding (not sure if that would fall more under strength or endurance, or both).

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You don't need to keep track of any data, you don't need to compare yourself to others, you don't need to follow some complicated and rigidly structured training routine....All you need is two days per week and a few basic exercises that work your full body...Keep it simple.
That’s what I’m looking for: an exercise or more specifically, an activity that will provide adequate full body strength and resistance exercise that I can look forward to doing. Someone had brought up rowing and as much as I would enjoy doing that I’m afraid I don’t necessarily have the means to pick that up at the moment
Old 06-01-22, 06:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I already do things similar to that. What I wanted to see and/or gauge was whether that would be sufficient or would I have to hit the gym if I wanted adequate resistance exercises. The consensus seems to be “no” it’s not adequate enough.

Wanting to build muscle and strength overall. For bike-related reasons I want to be able to have better control when doing more technical riding (not sure if that would fall more under strength or endurance, or both).

That’s what I’m looking for: an exercise or more specifically, an activity that will provide adequate full body strength and resistance exercise that I can look forward to doing. Someone had brought up rowing and as much as I would enjoy doing that I’m afraid I don’t necessarily have the means to pick that up at the moment
​​​​​​Look up "convict conditioning." People get ripped in prison without the user of a gym. Body weight exercises are a great start, you can overload with reps. If you decide you need more, address it down the line.
Old 06-01-22, 07:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Having a good VO2max predicts how long a person will live. Having good grip strength predicts their quality of life in old age. Those two things correlate with a lot more about overall health.

Doing overhead presses means you'll be able to get your luggage in the overhead compartment when you're 70.

Doing squats means you'll be able to get off the toilet independently in your old age. When you can't do that anymore you live in a home and a nurse helps you. 😳 🥺
Old 06-02-22, 02:22 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
What you're describing isn't resistance training or strength training, it's just cycling.
Ofc it's cycling! Grow, strong, big beach muscles with nothing but cycling, if you know how

I manage to have big strong glutes and normally muscled arms this way, without hitting the gym ever, just riding the bike, pedaling in a specific way for short periods.
Old 06-02-22, 02:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by koala logs
Ofc it's cycling! Grow, strong, big beach muscles with nothing but cycling, if you know how

I manage to have big strong glutes and normally muscled arms this way, without hitting the gym ever, just riding the bike, pedaling in a specific way for short periods.
It's not about beach muscles and it's not about looking like a bodybuilder. You completely missing the point and purpose of strength training...Your special and unique pedaling techniques which you're talking about is just red flags which tell me that you're trolling.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-02-22, 03:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
29 watt increase in MAP for just 2x per week for 12 weeks? I'm in. Need to find a good gym

I never worked out in my life, figuring the sports specific motion would be ruined with weight training. I played a lot of sports in my life. I've read enough studies this morning to know, I was totally wrong. And I have to laugh at myself lusting for that 29 watts.

Further, E+S increased the mean power output during the 5-min all-out trial (from 371 ± 9 to 400 ± 13 W, P<0.05), while no change occurred in E. In conclusion, adding strength training to usual endurance training improves leg strength and 5-min all-out performance following 185 min of cycling in well-trained cyclists.
Edit: Sorry all the quotes and references got lost. I was logged out and then they are gone. I had some pretty decent references, but probably unnecessarily singing to the choir
Old 06-02-22, 08:38 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
It's not about beach muscles and it's not about looking like a bodybuilder. You completely missing the point and purpose of strength training...Your special and unique pedaling techniques which you're talking about is just red flags which tell me that you're trolling.
I think we have different idea of what "beach body" looks like.

I did write in my post you quoted, it should only be done for short period. It would equate to a low number of reps (less than 100 pedals strokes with use of high gear resulting to very low cadence). I also gave a warning in my earlier post to back it off or stop if you feel the slightest pain in the back.
Old 06-02-22, 11:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​"convict conditioning."

he broke his ankle filming that movie. that complex was a fun tour w/ the family
Old 06-03-22, 11:20 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
The problem with this issue is that we got people of all ages chiming in (and I have no idea of the age range of the OP). Our differences in ages makes a very big difference in this subject of resistance training.

I'm 57 and have known of the importance of strength training for quite some time; however, I think I got a little complacent, which came to light after the pandemic when I started lifting heavy again. I loss a lot of strength, I could still ride a bike, but I noticed the weakness creeping in, in other aspects of my life. There is a major physiological difference between doing lightweights at high reps vs lifting heavy and I don't think younger guys get it as much, because they are not feeling the effects of gravity nearly as much as us older guys. Gravity will win eventually, but it's all about lasting as long as possible before someone has to help you off the toilet. I'll be ready to die the day someone needs to help me off the toilet.

I am an endurance person, always doing long rides, runs and hiking trips, but having a high cardio capacity is only half the equation, as you age you need to work harder to maintain balance and keep your strength. Heavy weights is what's needed for this, light weights at high reps only burns you out. It actually feels like I'm in recovery mode when I do my heavy days, because I do far fewer reps, I'm just struggling more to lift the weight, but then it's over.

There are tons of examples of older people improving their lives thru heavy weight training. Here's just one more example...don't worry it's only a 4-minute video

Old 06-03-22, 02:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by work4bike
The problem with this issue is that we got people of all ages chiming in (and I have no idea of the age range of the OP). Our differences in ages makes a very big difference in this subject of resistance training.
Age is irrelevant...Everybody will benefit from weight training it doesn't matter if they're young or old....The amount of weight and reps are also irrelevant...Light weigh higher reps are just as beneficial as heavier weight and lower reps and it's best to use both.. Fitness and health isn't about big numbers in the gym.
Old 06-04-22, 05:42 AM
work4bike

Age is irrelevant...Everybody will benefit from weight training it doesn't matter if they're young or old....The amount of weight and reps are also irrelevant...Light weigh higher reps are just as beneficial as heavier weight and lower reps and it's best to use both.. Fitness and health isn't about big numbers in the gym.
I fully understand that everyone will benefit from weight training, my only point was that it's not as obvious to most young people who are feeling immortal. As I look at countless examples of the outstanding benefits seniors gain from weight training, I can't help to wonder how they'd look if they'd started the weight training much earlier in life.

As I said in my post, I'm an endurance-oriented person, so I know the benefits of doing high reps with light weights. However, it does seem that older lifters benefit more from lifting heavy as opposed to high reps, that's NOT to say they should never do high reps. I've noticed that in my lifting, but more importantly others have noticed this.

In this short 9-minute video Dr Sullivan addresses this

Old 06-04-22, 09:43 AM
work4bike

This video actually addresses weight training for cyclists, but it also specifically addresses the issue of using the bike as resistance training, in addition to other aspects of weight training WRT cycling performance.

Personally, I think beginners can use the bike as resistance training, but as we become more efficient/proficient, it's really not an option. After millions of revolutions under my feet, I know it won't help me.

This is an 18-minute video, but if you go to the 16:20-minute point in the timeline that's where he talks about using a bike for strength training. And this is not just this guy's opinion, he references many scientific studies.

Likes For work4bike: