Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Continental Terra Speed 700Cx40 Tires

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Continental Terra Speed 700Cx40 Tires

Old 07-11-22, 08:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Funny man. I'll take sincere questions, but if you are just here to troll and argue, I'm out... CYA,,,
Trolling? I'm not the person who speculated about riding 1,000 miles with zero watts of input.
Old 07-13-22, 06:06 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Torque does affect the tyre wear at equal weight. The more torque, the more load on the interface tyre/tarmac and the rubber cohesion gets more solicited causing more wear.
Yes the weight may be a greater factor in this instance but torque is also a factor.

look at rear wheel drive front engine car (typical bmw/mx5), the rear tends to wear faster although the weight distribution is biased towards the front. On my mid engine race car, despite looking 10% in weight and keeping the same weight distribution, adding 50% extra torque changed the tyre behavior; wear increase, pressure increase, everything had to be reviewed.
Old 07-13-22, 03:19 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure your analogy holds up. Driving a car aggressively (burnouts, drifting around corners) will obviously wear out tires faster, but riding a road bike faster involves no such additional tire wear. And while higher-speed driving creates more heat and friction on auto tires, I'm not convinced that cycling speeds are anywhere near high enough to create such an effect.
I dunno, I'm not an engineer. All I know is that I weigh 185lbs, and put down good power (I can make the rear spin or skip on a sprint, depending on the surface), and I only get about 600 miles out of set of Terra Speeds, that's all I've got for ya.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-16-22, 06:35 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Light, supple, fast, bias towards narrow as opposed to true width (at least when mounted to 18mm internal width rims). Not counting my miles but I suppose they do wear pretty easily. I figure once I do wear out all the knobs they'll just function like a fat slick. I prefer the Terra Trail with the more aggressive knobs (but I suppose those wear easily as well). My favorite gravel tire among a few other popular models I've tried. But I spread my miles across 4-5 bikes and I don't do a ton of gravel riding.
Likes For tFUnK: