Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from sweaty Florida

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from sweaty Florida

Old 07-01-22, 06:41 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Hi from sweaty Florida

Sweaty but biking sure beats running in this heat! We used to run in the dark for much of the year because it's just too hot when the sun is up. Nice that we can ride bikes pretty much any time of day and not feel in danger of heatstroke.

We have picked up bikes more as age and heat and health has gotten in the way of running, and really enjoying it. We've done some bikepacking and one multi-day tour and plan to do much more of both. Picked up an old Burley tandem and after 100ish miles found it is speeding our relationship in the right direction rather than the wrong one. After swapping out the narrow drop bars and fitting the bags that one will probably be our touring bike.

I like mountain biking too, and yes there is a fair bit of it in flat Florida. If you see an old guy on the only 26" MTB at the park this weekend say hi, it's probably me!

We are on the west coast between Tampa and Ft Myers.
Old 07-01-22, 12:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome. Stay COOL

Old 10-09-22, 05:22 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 1,815 Posts
"sweaty Florida" - new state motto
I lived in Miami for a minute and was surprised when the local paper had a headline announcing "bike season is almost over" I literally did not understand what that meant. I read the article and it basically declared more that half the year you "can't ride a bike" due to heat and humidity. While I choose to disagree, I did find most of my rides moved to early a.m. or evening.
Old 10-10-22, 05:23 AM
DelayMozrt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome. Nice to meet u here
Old 10-13-22, 03:25 PM
polocamacho

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!
Old 10-13-22, 06:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Greetings from the northern reaches of the state. Our summers are even hotter. (But our winters are much colder.)