Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

T-Town

Old 07-03-22, 04:39 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
T-Town

Sometimes, I can't trust what Bike shops what they say. Back in the 80's (When I lived in PA.), I was told you had to go to Phil. for a Fixed Gear. (A two hour drive.) Right!!! Thanks for all the advice. Now this question. I was thinking of flying back to East this Fall to T-town. Maybe pick up a good used Fixed Gear for the Mrs. Is it worth the long trip?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 07-03-22, 09:03 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
What is your blathering about? You can't trust bike shops because of something that happened in the 80s when they told you where to find stuff? You can get fixed gear bicycles in many places these days. Scrodzilla runs RetroGression a neat shop that specializes in fixed gear bicycles and will ship all over so you don't have to fly back east to go to T-Town or any other towns to find a used fixed gear you can buy the wife something nice like she deserves!

As far as Phil, Phil Wood does make some fine hubs!
Old 07-03-22, 02:32 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Sometimes, I can't trust what Bike shops what they say.
I'm guessing that 40 years ago, you probably couldn't find a fixed gear bike in Beaver Falls or Intercourse or Wherever, PA. Since this inexplicable distrust of bike shops seems to be a theme with you, just keep buying from Amazon instead of grinding your imaginary axe here.
Old 07-03-22, 07:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You can get fixed gear bicycles in many places these days. Scrodzilla runs RetroGression a neat shop that specializes in fixed gear bicycles and will ship all over so you don't have to fly back east to go to T-Town or any other towns to find a used fixed gear you can buy the wife something nice like she deserves!
Just one correction, Retrogression does not currently sell complete bicycles online, they are only available for local in-shop purchase.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...complete-bikes

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-05-22, 07:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Just one correction, Retrogression does not currently sell complete bicycles online, they are only available for local in-shop purchase.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...complete-bikes
Thanks Tejano! I guess you cannot get a complete but still they are pretty awesome.
Old 07-06-22, 04:59 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Sometimes, I can't trust what Bike shops what they say. Back in the 80's (When I lived in PA.), I was told you had to go to Phil. for a Fixed Gear. (A two hour drive.) Right!!! Thanks for all the advice. Now this question. I was thinking of flying back to East this Fall to T-town. Maybe pick up a good used Fixed Gear for the Mrs. Is it worth the long trip?
the sad thing is, I understand every word of this

I've never made it to T-town, but I'm guessing there should be some deals there. The swap, I'm assuming. We're more than a decade from peak fix, it's a buyers market at this point.