Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No boxers for those who ride with casualwear shorts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No boxers for those who ride with casualwear shorts?

Old 08-13-22, 03:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Rode 15 miles in jeans and boxers. No problems.
Boxers on the inside or outside?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-13-22, 06:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Wow! 15 miles ... all in one go? That's amAZing! Kudos!
Old 08-15-22, 06:45 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I gave up on padded shorts years ago. I don't ride as much as I have in the past, but still go out for 2 hours or so at a time. The road bikes all have Brooks saddles and I wear coolmax briefs from Duluth under cargo shorts.
Old 08-15-22, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

No sarcasm here--that's a pretty good ride. Are you going to stay with that kind of distance or do you want to go higher?
It's a lot better than the 5 minute rides you were talking about a few months ago.
Old 08-15-22, 05:15 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No sarcasm here--that's a pretty good ride. Are you going to stay with that kind of distance or do you want to go higher?
It's a lot better than the 5 minute rides you were talking about a few months ago.
It's a good question, because the time on bike makes a difference.

I once went into a Pearl Izumi store and told the employee I wanted recommendations for some padded bike shorts. He asked, "How far are you riding?" I thought for a second and said, "Usually 20 to 50 miles per week." He seemed a little confused but showed me what he had. After thinking about it later, I realized he needed to know if I spend 5 or 10 minutes at a time on the bike or if I sometimes spend six hours on it. The frequency of my rides is not very relevant.

If you're never on the bike for longer than a half hour or so, you can wear whatever. As duration increases, it gets more important to find some pants or shorts that work well for you.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-15-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 06:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Broctoon
It's a good question, because the time on bike makes a difference.

I once went into a Pearl Izumi store and told the employee I wanted recommendations for some padded bike shorts. He asked, "How far are you riding?" I thought for a second and said, "Usually 20 to 50 miles per week." He seemed a little confused but showed me what he had. After thinking about it later, I realized he needed to know if I spend 5 or 10 minutes at a time on the bike or if I sometimes spend six hours on it. The frequency of my rides is not very relevant.

If you're never on the bike for longer than a half hour or so, you can wear whatever. As duration increases, it gets more important to find some pants or shorts that work well for you.
I regularly ride in cargo shorts and boxers. I'm riding about 225 miles a week, and generally do at least a solo century on Saturdays during biking season. I've done three rides this summer that exceeded135 miles, and they took a lot longer than 6 hours. Not saying you're wrong for you, but these things are not universal.
Old 08-16-22, 06:45 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
The 15 mile ride was done in a bike lane city while on vacation.
That ride was barely even a workout compared to my 20 min / 3.5 mile loop with hills.
I prefer HIIT riding, and will stick to short hilly rides that are challenging, not long leisure rides.
Old 08-16-22, 06:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
That ride was barely even a workout compared to my 20 min / 3.5 mile loop with hills.
I prefer HIIT riding, and will stick to short hilly rides that are challenging, not long leisure rides.
Is a 20 minute ride enough the see any intense interval training?
Old 08-16-22, 07:21 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is a 20 minute ride enough the see any intense interval training?
My chosen 20 min. loop is all hills, up to 10%. No flats.
Old 08-16-22, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
soidh
Old 08-16-22, 08:03 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
these things are not universal.
This is why I said as duration increases it becomes important to find what works for you. That might mean padded bib shorts, or maybe something else. When on the bike for only a few minutes, universal standards are more likely to be okay.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-16-22 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 09:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
I am not a HIIT expert by any means, but every HIIT training plans I have read about last for 2-3 times longer. Thats why I asked.
Old 08-16-22, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
Zero chance I ever wear those Speedo shorts while biking.
I currently wear boxers and generic baggy Poly shorts.
I am thinking of dropping the boxers for less bunching.
I want to star a thread before attempting something potentially reckless and dangerous.
If you were forced to wear casual poly shorts, would you skip the boxers ?
Have at it.
I like thin lined tri-shorts. I wear them under various other shorts such as MTB shorts & gym shorts & under my unlined cycling pants. no bunching & provides moisture management. I get XXL even tho my trouser waist size is 38"
Old 08-16-22, 10:03 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I like thin lined tri-shorts. I wear them under various other shorts such as MTB shorts & gym shorts & under my unlined cycling pants. no bunching & provides moisture management. I get XXL even tho my trouser waist size is 38"
What are tri-shorts?
Old 08-16-22, 10:04 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am not a HIIT expert by any means, but every HIIT training plans I have read about last for 2-3 times longer. Thats why I asked.
HIIT is typically 4 minutes.
Look up Tabata protocol.
20 mins. is too long to be a real HIIT workout.
Old 08-16-22, 01:35 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
What are tri-shorts?
Shorts designed for triathlon; since you need to do the swimming and running bits, the pad is very thin and non-absorbent. A bit less padding than normal cycling kit, but perfectly reasonable bike wear. Of course, for maximum comfort nothing needs to be worn over or under them.

I'm personally a big fan of trisuits (basically a cycling jersey joined to a tri-short into a one-piece race kit) for both triathlon and normal road riding (and I've ran my last marathon in one, too).
Old 08-16-22, 09:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
What are tri-shorts?
they have a thin liner for moisture management, not a think pad

Zoot Core Mens 7-Inch Tri Shorts - Performance Triathlon Shorts with Endura Fabric and Hip Holster Pockets

Old 08-17-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The 15 mile ride was done in a bike lane city while on vacation.
You realize those aren't the only choices, right? I wouldn't describe my long rides as "leisurely" and all of them involve a lot more climbing than you could pack into 3.5 miles. A couple weeks ago, I did an 80 mile ride that started with an ascent of 1000 feet in 5.75 miles, leaving me with another 3500 feet of climb and 74 miles to go. That was a very hot, long afternoonth

I'll leave it to people who are expert in HIIT as to whether what you're doing is actually HIIT, but if it is, you're only supposed to do it 2-3 times a week. If that's it, I'd suggest you really aren't going to get that much benefit from an hour a week. Fine if you're combining it with something else, but the HIIT as a shortcut has been wildly over-hyped: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3557...meta-analysis/

Note: not bashing hiit, just saying that its enthusiasts wildly understate the value of other forms of cardio.
​​​​​
Old 08-17-22, 05:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Broctoon
This is why I said as duration increases it becomes important to find what works for you. That might mean padded bib shorts, or maybe something else. When on the bike for only a few minutes, universal standards are more likely to be okay.
That's general enough to be true as a probability statement, but not terribly helpful.
I'm just saying I didn't find that was the case for me. As I steadily increased my distance, I never got to a point where it really became an important factor, and my distances are pretty extreme.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-17-22, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

HIIT is typically 4 minutes.
Look up Tabata protocol.
20 mins. is too long to be a real HIIT workout.
BS
https://breakingmuscle.com/tabata-tr...inute-workout/

The notion of 4 minute workouts is part of the absurd hype that is giving HIIT a reputation for quackery (unfair because this is the silly bunch making these kind of claims--real HIIT definitely has benefits, especially in combination with other forms of cardio).
Likes For livedarklions: