Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fatality Stats

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Fatality Stats

Old 08-10-22, 09:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You've gone off the deep end. It seems that you feel that having more data collected and possibly better ways to gather data a bad thing that somehow makes it easier for persons and entities to obscure the real issues.
"More data collected" is no better or less biased than more anecdotes collected, and the conclusions/recommendations drawn from cutting and pasting from databases of snippets of information (such as totals of "crashes") are no more valid, unless the data and information about associated variables gathered is sufficient to draw useful conclusions. I have yet to see on this list any recommendations or suggestions about how you or anyone else on this would define "better data" or better ways to collect and use such allegedly better data about bicycling hazards and/or bicycling accidents/crashes/incidents.

Predetermined conclusions and recommendations about bicycling safety can be (and are) made from no data at all, or collecting or "studying" just enough of the right kind of data to support the preferred conclusion.

"Better data" is hardly necessary for such safety/advocacy recommendations, collections of anecdotes and newspaper headlines serve that purpose quite well on this list.

I don't think I have read about any organization interested in collecting "better data" that might cast a shadow on their established and preferred conventional wisdom about bicycling safety.
Old 08-10-22, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You've gone off the deep end. It seems that you feel that having more data collected and possibly better ways to gather data a bad thing that somehow makes it easier for persons and entities to obscure the real issues.

And then you also seem to think that because we made some assertions that we are the problem. I don't see where any of us said anything wrong other than just continue a ridiculous conversation with you. Seems you just have some unstated agenda of what you imagine us to believe.

That's the problem in a nutshell. You are being held responsible for arguments made by other people that you haven't come close to repeating, let alone defending. The Iowan is treating everyone as if they're the ghost of John Forester so he can continue railing on long-over arguments.
Old 08-10-22, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"More data collected" is no better or less biased than more anecdotes collected, and the conclusions/recommendations drawn from cutting and pasting from databases of snippets of information (such as totals of "crashes") are no more valid, unless the data and information about associated variables gathered is sufficient to draw useful conclusions. I have yet to see on this list any recommendations or suggestions about how you or anyone else on this would define "better data" or better ways to collect and use such allegedly better data about bicycling hazards and/or bicycling accidents/crashes/incidents.

Predetermined conclusions and recommendations about bicycling safety can be (and are) made from no data at all, or collecting or "studying" just enough of the right kind of data to support the preferred conclusion.

"Better data" is hardly necessary for such safety/advocacy recommendations, collections of anecdotes and newspaper headlines serve that purpose quite well on this list.

I don't think I have read about any organization interested in collecting "better data" that might cast a shadow on their established and preferred conventional wisdom about bicycling safety.

So let's get this straight, this is your reaction to someone wishing there was better data to draw from? To lecture them condescendingly and in an accusatory manner on the hazards of drawing conclusions or making assertions based on data everyone in this thread agrees is inadequate?