Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone mount a mirror on their bike to see behind them?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-07-22, 10:36 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
The eyeglass lens on the glove is brilliant.
That is the 1 gem in 100 posts of sewage that makes it worth starting threads here!
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-07-22, 10:39 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
At a few points in my loop, I must cross to the other side of the road, while riding forwards. Since the other side has a better median, in some sections.
I prefer not to stop entirely, and cross the road perpendicularly. I find that crossing to the other side of the road can be dangerous since I can't fully see behind me while riding forwards, to see if cars are coming.
This is probably the most dangerous part of my ride, maybe I have a stiff neck, or maybe I am not a great rider, but turning my head almost 180* while riding forwards is unstable for me.

Or do you prefer one mounted to your helmet?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3403241
I use a sprintTech bar end mirror on the left - wouldn’t ride without it. I recently started using a Garmin Varia radar, which is really impressive. I think the rear view mirror remains useful - the radar tells me something is approaching, the mirror tells me what it is, and (more importantly) if it’s giving me room.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-07-22, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
I won't use an eyeglass mounted mirror for the simple reason that I wear expensive prescriptions. Ir the mirror hits something. I do not want my glasses damaged (and I have learned the hard way that impacts to glasses frames hurt! Bridges of noses were simply not made to take that abuse.

Yes, those impacts usually happen around the house. Open cupboard doors, projects in my shop, etc. Doesn't matter to me where. I consider my glasses a high priority. (And several hundred dollars, a week's wait and two trips to the eyeglass people with the first being quite expensive if it's been more than two years since my last prescription.)

If I crash to that side and lay my helmet down, mirror is dying wherever it's mounted. But I get to chose what it tries to destroy as it is twisted off its mounting point. Helmets don't care. Eyeglasses do.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-07-22, 10:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Would you suggest helmet mount over a handlebar mounted ?
I`ve tried both and I prefer handlebar mounted mirror.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-07-22, 10:53 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Me too... Thanks 10wheels...

Raising your left hand in such manner might make motorists think you're signaling to turn right when you might actually be intending to turn left

Also hitting bumps while one hand is off the handlebar might cause you to crash. You won't be seeing the incoming bumps either because you're focused on the mirror. At least if both hands are on the handlebar, even if the bumps surprised you, you won't crash. I still vote for helmet mirror. Glove mirror is potentially unsafe unless you're dealing with perfect roads all the time with very few cars on the road to confuse with unintended signals.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-07-22, 10:58 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I won't use an eyeglass mounted mirror for the simple reason that I wear expensive prescriptions. Ir the mirror hits something. I do not want my glasses damaged (and I have learned the hard way that impacts to glasses frames hurt! Bridges of noses were simply not made to take that abuse.

Yes, those impacts usually happen around the house. Open cupboard doors, projects in my shop, etc. Doesn't matter to me where. I consider my glasses a high priority. (And several hundred dollars, a week's wait and two trips to the eyeglass people with the first being quite expensive if it's been more than two years since my last prescription.)

If I crash to that side and lay my helmet down, mirror is dying wherever it's mounted. But I get to chose what it tries to destroy as it is twisted off its mounting point. Helmets don't care. Eyeglasses do.
Eyeglass mirror looks less dorky than helmet mirror...

...But you're right, it's potentially very dangerous.

I have bumped my helmet mirror quite a lot of times already on things around the house and absolutely no issues, it's totally safe.
Old 08-07-22, 11:01 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Very perceptive.
Yes, I ride on both sides of the road.

One one stretch, there is a 3 foot wide margin or breakdown alley only on one side of the road. (Not wide enough for a car)
So, I ride facing traffic and then need to cross over when the margin disappears to the other side. What is the right term for "margin"?

I try to avoid riding in the actual traffic lane, whenever possible
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic, but in the margin, than to ride with traffic, but in the actual traffic, causing all sorts of problems for cars.
In the US we call it a "shoulder"

Like the others, riding on the wrong side of the road or opposing traffic is generally illegal and very unsafe.
Likes For kahn:
Old 08-07-22, 11:16 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
I just ordered this for $8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134188824280?
great suggestion on affordable mirrors. lately i have been thinking to get serious about this. when you get yours, we would like to know how your experience with this is.

Edit, this mirror is a bit smaller, so may not be as good as the one suggested...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cycle&_sacat=0

Last edited by Duo; 08-07-22 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 11:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
That is the 1 gem in 100 posts of sewage that makes it worth starting threads here!

...I used an eyeglasses mirror for a while, and on one bike I once mounted a Mirrcyle on the LH brake lever.

But I found it too distracting, and started to wonder why I was always looking behind me in the mirror. It's not enough warning for me to get out of the way, and whoever it is behind me, coming up too close, is going to hit me anyway. And for your described use, it's not sufficient to spot any traffic behind you that might pose a danger to you as you cross the traffic lanes. You need to turn your head. Try teaching yourself to do so in some open parking lot, where it won't be as dangerous if you crash or lose your line while doing so. It's an essential skill, if you want to continue riding your cheap Giant for life. Unless you're OK with that life being statistically shorter.
Old 08-07-22, 11:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,827 Times in 4,621 Posts
2 constructive replies and then this typical low IQ garbage signal to noise ratio. LOL.
If you thought those two replies were constructive, your sarcasm detector is broken.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-07-22, 12:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...I used an eyeglasses mirror for a while, and on one bike I once mounted a Mirrcyle on the LH brake lever.

But I found it too distracting, and started to wonder why I was always looking behind me in the mirror. It's not enough warning for me to get out of the way, and whoever it is behind me, coming up too close, is going to hit me anyway. And for your described use, it's not sufficient to spot any traffic behind you that might pose a danger to you as you cross the traffic lanes. You need to turn your head. Try teaching yourself to do so in some open parking lot, where it won't be as dangerous if you crash or lose your line while doing so. It's an essential skill, if you want to continue riding your cheap Giant for life. Unless you're OK with that life being statistically shorter.
But ... if you have accumulated the crashes I have over a lifetime of riding yo may have picked up a share of collarbone, shoulder and neck injuries. Doing a proper turn of head for me is unstabilizing because I have to twist my shoulders around to get a worthwhile view. Leaving me with 4 choices. Unsafe and unstable looks, not looking, not riding or using a mirror.
Old 08-07-22, 12:08 PM
GGDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
At a few points in my loop, I must cross to the other side of the road, while riding forwards. Since the other side has a better median, in some sections.
I prefer not to stop entirely, and cross the road perpendicularly. I find that crossing to the other side of the road can be dangerous since I can't fully see behind me while riding forwards, to see if cars are coming.
This is probably the most dangerous part of my ride, maybe I have a stiff neck, or maybe I am not a great rider, but turning my head almost 180* while riding forwards is unstable for me.

Something like this?
Always used to use a mirror on the end of my handlbar. More recently switched over to the "Take a Look" mirror listed at #6 on your Amazon list. Really liked that one (very easy to move the head slightly to see wherever you want to) and ended up taking the mirror off my bike.
Likes For GGDaddy:
Old 08-07-22, 12:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
The eyeglass lens on the glove is brilliant.
What’s awesome is how everyone just ignores your troll posts and keeps on going with rational discussion. This subject has been discussed countless times on the forums and easily searchable. Not much new mirror technology has occurred over the past hundred years so obviously your intent was to stir up some dissent.

I personally haven’t used a mirror however I respect those that do. Eventually when my mobility deteriorates when I can’t comfortably shoulder check I will add a mirror to my Varia Radar for increased safety. Probably start with a helmet mount as that’s what my riding mates use.
Old 08-07-22, 01:07 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Here is one you can get made from a bottle cap. You can choose your favorite beverage.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6489544...search_click=1
Old 08-07-22, 01:24 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This subject has been discussed countless times on the forums and easily searchable. Not much new mirror technology has occurred over the past hundred years so obviously your intent was to stir up some dissent.

Something like this?

this is a subject that needs to be reviewed on occasion.

why?

this is about safety. sure we could 'search the forums' if it occurs to us to think about it much. but for those of us who use the forums differently, like i do, then getting some new opinions and fellowship with other bikers is what brings us back. forums are meant to bring together those of us of different opinions so we can sort thru current thought on various problems/solutions.

even a bicycle chain oil thread has value, if even for some amusement over the same ole rehash. and again to serve as a reminder to keep the thing oiled for some of us.

this is also painfully obvious of course, but reading every thread is not important: read just what appeals to you. mirrors are about road safety, and getting back home alive. important i feel and could save a few more cyclists lives perhaps (maybe yours!).

so i am thanking the OP for bringing this up again, it has been on my mind to get a good enuf mirror and i think i shall very soon.

Edit, i have been meaning to write about 'searching the forums' for a long time, and now finally have done so. it's everyday life you know, how many times do we need to talk about the weather? well we can 'search the forums' so to speak to find out, that way we can just be quiet on most conversations if that appeals LOL. ...IMOH: meh.

Last edited by Duo; 08-07-22 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For Duo:
Old 08-07-22, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
and then this typical low IQ garbage signal to noise ratio. LOL.
You invented low IQ garbage signal to noise ratio.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-07-22, 01:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RGMN
Handlebars are overrated. I got rid of mine and enjoy the weight savings.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-07-22, 01:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic, but in the margin, than to ride with traffic, but in the actual traffic, causing all sorts of problems for cars.
You sound like you haven't meaningfully ridden with vehicular traffic. n00bs are worried about being overtaken by traffic, but ride a little bit and you'll find that turning/crossing traffic is far more problematic. This is precisely why riding on sidewalks is more dangerous than riding on the road - no one really expects you there, your positioning makes you less visible to traffic turning off of the same roadway as you (crossing your path) and you've got less cushion against traffic on crossing roadways (nobody stops before the crosswalk). Riding against traffic exposes you to the same types of hazardous conditions. Don't do it - it's dumb.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-22, 01:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-07-22, 03:29 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Would you suggest helmet mount over a handlebar mounted ?
How does it attach to helmet? Universal mount?
I have several bikes and the handlebar mounted mirrors had to be mounted in different places (you can't use a bar end mount if you have bar end shifters). Also, my left arm would get in the way of seeing the mirror for some mounting positions. I tried a helmet mounted mirror several years ago and gave up. At that time I was still wearing bifocals and one has to view the mirror through the edge of the lens where there is a lot of distortion (too much to be any good in my case). Since then I have had cataract surgery and have 20/20 for distance. I still wear sunglasses (for eye protection) but they are uniform thickness and do not cause distortion.

There are several different brands of helmet mounted mirrors. I use a "Take-a-Look" mirror.

Some mirrors (both handlebar and helmet mounted) de-magnify; so if you spot a car in the mirror it's actually much closer than it appears. The Take-a_Look is flat mirror, so you get a good sense of the distance.

A couple of photos to show how it's attached:

Old 08-07-22, 03:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Raising your left hand in such manner might make motorists think you're signaling to turn right when you might actually be intending to turn left...
Actually no... Ya just have to be a little selective to find the right position on your glove. Took me a few tries to get it right. I can now see pretty well with just a twist of my hand on the hoods. I ride Bull Horns anyway. I do agree with you though because If I were ridding in traffic I would use an additional mirror fixed to my glasses. I have had little success with mirrors fixed to my bikes and helmets. I ride different bikes and use different helmets too and keeping them all synced is a problem.
Old 08-07-22, 04:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I used something like that when I pulled a toddler trailer. I found it was more effective when I glued one of these to them
​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Zento-Deals-R...38037196&psc=1
Old 08-07-22, 04:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
What is the right term for "margin"?
this is referred to as the hard shoulder.

Very perceptive.
Yes, I ride on both sides of the road.

One one stretch, there is a 3 foot wide margin or breakdown alley only on one side of the road. (Not wide enough for a car)
So, I ride facing traffic and then need to cross over when the margin disappears to the other side. What is the right term for "margin"?

yo are riding like a salmon, going upstream. it may seem safer but is probably the most dangerous way to ride a bike. when a driver is making a right hand turn at an intersection and glances at you they will normally assume you are moving with traffic and heading away from them. they will pull out into traffic because it appears clear to them (bike riding away). unfortunately the bike rider usually gets hit in this situation. so, yo may feel safer but it definitely is not.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-07-22, 04:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by spelger
this is referred to as the hard shoulder.

yo are riding like a salmon, going upstream. it may seem safer but is probably the most dangerous way to ride a bike. when a driver is making a right hand turn at an intersection and glances at you they will normally assume you are moving with traffic and heading away from them. they will pull out into traffic because it appears clear to them (bike riding away). unfortunately the bike rider usually gets hit in this situation. so, yo may feel safer but it definitely is not.
He knows it’s not safer. He’s trolling. Cut off his food supply.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-07-22, 05:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Enjoy your garbage mirror, you will love it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.