Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone mount a mirror on their bike to see behind them?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-09-22, 10:48 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Did I say I bought it there?

Are you calling me dumb? Mods don't care for that.
I think the poster is referring to $27 in shipping for the $3 item
Old 08-09-22, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
For those who ride on roads with no shoulder, how do you deal with the fact that when you're riding with traffic, cars are constantly having to swerve half way out of your lane and you're really creating a huge nuisance on the road and potentially causing car accidents.
This accident potential increases exponentially if there are cars in both lanes and one sideswipes another while having to avoid the bike by swerving into the left lane ?
When you are driving a motor vehicle, is that the way you view slower traffic of any kind in front of you?

The burden for dealing with slower traffic in front of you is your burden. Not the person that is slowing you up.

So I'm not too certain why you feel that as a cyclist, you are any more a nuisance and potential for accidents than the very few people behind you that are actually enraged at your presence. If in fact any were even bothered by your presence.

Most motorist deal with cyclists and other slower traffic in a safe and reasoned manner.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-09-22 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-09-22, 03:53 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I've never used AliExpress.
I do not want to wait 1-2 months for shipping.
How has your experience been?
Pretty good. It is pretty much the same as the Asian (generally Chinese) sellers on ebay.

There are some charging exorbitant postal charges on Aliexpress too.

The "price plus shipping" order on ebay works but on aliexpress sellers put one cheap item, like a replacement mounting screw in their listing of bar end mirrors and the ordering uses the cheapest item in the listing pushing theirs to the top even though the mirrors themselves may be more expensive, so the price listing on aliexpress is useless. I end up bouncing between a lot of listings to find the cheapest one (there is a more to love selection at the bottom of each listing and the related items are often there).

The arbitration process tends to aim for compromise rather than a full refund if the item is slightly not as described. E.g. gloves in the wrong colour were reduced to half price. Or pedals that were difficult to clip into (and I have not used for that reason) again half price not a full refund. But I have only gone to arbitration about 4 times in several hundred purchases.

But I get all my cycling miscellaneous there (lycra wear, gloves, helmets, brake pads, spd-sl cleats, cables, missing links, grips etc). The quality is generally lower, but the price is about 10% - 20%.

Oh, and I am next door to China, in Japan, so shipping only takes about 10 days but it can take longer.

Last edited by timtak; 08-09-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 05:31 PM
jmm77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a few different bar end mirrors. Wouldn't ride without one.
Old 08-09-22, 08:23 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
I have several bikes with mirrors on them. Mostly the bikes I ride on the road. I'm not so much worried about other bikes, but my routes often have me sharing the road with automobiles. That's my main concern.

I buy the Venza off Amazon. Made in Taiwan. I figure I'll support them as long as I can before the inevitable communist invasion.
Old 08-09-22, 08:57 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Pretty good. It is pretty much the same as the Asian (generally Chinese) sellers on ebay.

There are some charging exorbitant postal charges on Aliexpress too.

The "price plus shipping" order on ebay works but on aliexpress sellers put one cheap item, like a replacement mounting screw in their listing of bar end mirrors and the ordering uses the cheapest item in the listing pushing theirs to the top even though the mirrors themselves may be more expensive, so the price listing on aliexpress is useless. I end up bouncing between a lot of listings to find the cheapest one (there is a more to love selection at the bottom of each listing and the related items are often there).

The arbitration process tends to aim for compromise rather than a full refund if the item is slightly not as described. E.g. gloves in the wrong colour were reduced to half price. Or pedals that were difficult to clip into (and I have not used for that reason) again half price not a full refund. But I have only gone to arbitration about 4 times in several hundred purchases.

But I get all my cycling miscellaneous there (lycra wear, gloves, helmets, brake pads, spd-sl cleats, cables, missing links, grips etc). The quality is generally lower, but the price is about 10% - 20%.

Oh, and I am next door to China, in Japan, so shipping only takes about 10 days but it can take longer.
I have written this so many times I should just save a copy for posting. I did vendor evaluations in the PRC in 2005 to 2010 and the issue is the Chinese culture which is if a seller take advantage of a buyer it is good on the seller, no shame as in Western cultures. If you buy a Pearl Isumi glove from Aliexpress it may be an end run after 20 thousand PI gloves and perfect quality, , but after the 10 thousand they might not have the quality components as PI had and the PI QA/QC people on site are gone and it could be a end run that ran out of the thread, leather , dye, etc. and they substituted crap, Producing a PI look item made with crap.
Old 08-10-22, 12:08 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I have written this so many times I should just save a copy for posting. I did vendor evaluations in the PRC in 2005 to 2010 and the issue is the Chinese culture which is if a seller take advantage of a buyer it is good on the seller, no shame as in Western cultures. If you buy a Pearl Isumi glove from Aliexpress it may be an end run after 20 thousand PI gloves and perfect quality, , but after the 10 thousand they might not have the quality components as PI had and the PI QA/QC people on site are gone and it could be a end run that ran out of the thread, leather , dye, etc. and they substituted crap, Producing a PI look item made with crap.
I should save a copy for posting too. I have been doing vendor evaluations of aliexpress sellers from 2012 to the present (2022) having purchased 578 items, with approximately 5 disputes, and about the same number of less than 5 star reviews. That is more than 550 5 star reviews in the past 10 years. I find that despite the fact that prices are painfully low, sellers go the extra mile to help out (like a guy that sent me some glasses rubber ear pieces for free, or the lens seller that suggested and cut a lens shape that he had invented to make the most of the blank size), suggest the products of other vendors, and are generally fair to the letter. They also seem to have little interest in promoting brands but rather sell stuff that works.

Very rarely the lack of enthusiasm for hyping brands can lead to "well it works doesn't it?" kind of attitude, but in all but a very few cases, the products do work.

Of my 578 purchases, what have I been disappointed with?
The pedals. They appear to be Shimano seconds that failed the Shimano QC and were equipped with some axles from another manufacturer. I may yet get them to work, and one does work, so the half price I had to pay will eventually pay off.
I ordered three finger gloves only to be sent five fingered gloves but was allowed to keep them for free (I haven't used them. The three fingered ones are good)
A saddle clamp that did not fit the seatpost that I was sent. I was required to pay half! I may yet use it with a different seat post.
The wheels that had no grease in the freehub and the freehub spring broke. I did not die. I mended the freehub but I could not persuade the manufacturer seller to send me even a spring! Still the wheels work very well and have good longevity so I will probably be ordering some more and just add my own grease if they are noisy from the get go, as these were. The brand in question is Pasak. I told the seller/maker (it seems to be the maker's store) that they would always be the servants of French people (they make Mavik wheels it seems) but he didn't budge claiming that I had not maintained the wheels properly.

At other times as with the free gloves mentioned above
I was sent a non adjustable stem instead of an adjustable one and could keep the non adjustable stem for free.
I was sent some pants in a size too small, which were refunded, but this year I can fit them.

I have just purchased some summer kit ($25 for jersey and shorts in a high viz colour), 10 missing links in 11 speed and 10 speed (and the size difference is distinguishable by touch -- I thought perhaps they were just stamped differently) for $5 the lot, and a 54 tooth oval chainring that will work on both 110mm and 130mm BCD cranks for $20.

Trace Velo introduces a lot of cycling stuff on aliexpress that is now challenging even Shimano
https://www.youtube.com/c/TraceVelo

As VegasTriker says the "mirrors" of the bar end mirrors from aliexpress are described as acrylic but that may be appropriate for a bar end mirror.

These mirrors for sticking to wing mirrors on cars to remove the blind spot are even cheaper, may perhaps be adapted and screwed to bar ends and are made of glass
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004506776474.html?

Last edited by timtak; 08-10-22 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-10-22, 06:50 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

I should save a copy for posting too....
Despite the difficulties we in the US are having with the PRC, I have many friends and in general found the people much like us, just wanting a better life for their children. I did heavy industry work, little of which is left in our country, where QA/QC and an impeccable reputation a must. Glad to hear in everyday items progress has been made.
Old 08-10-22, 06:59 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Always!

Riding without a handlebar mounted left side mirror feels like riding naked now. Never tried a glasses or helmet mirror before although probably very useful. At this stage, I see those as kind of like wearing a pocket protector in a short sleeve shirt to a posh nightclub.
Old 08-10-22, 07:18 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
I ride with both a Varia radar unit and a helmet mounted mirror. I prefer the helmet mount because I can just move my head a bit to see what is behind in various riding positions (hoods, drops.) Radar lets me know something is coming, but doesn't tell you if it's going to hit you. When I get a radar notification, I check the mirror to make certain the driver is going to pass safely.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-10-22, 06:30 PM
timtak

I tend to like peaceful, high quality Chinese infiltration. I am less keen on some US infiltration such as Microsoft, and stuff I would only post on the politics forum.

Thank you Bald Paul for the radar. It was mentioned above by The Chemist , but I only (US) Googled it when I saw how small they are.

The Garmin Varia appears to be expensive here on amazon.co.jp. But there is an aliexpress Second Hand (?) perhaps refurbished ("98% new") version only aliexpress which is quite reasonably priced.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003671393369.html
And there is a Chinese version at about the same price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004540845201.html

Still both are nearly half the price of one of my bikes and neither of them bleep I think. I would a radar to warn me when a car approaches without having to get a bike computer. I wonder if there is a bleeping rear radar.
Old 08-10-22, 08:43 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
.... When I get a radar notification, I check the mirror to make certain the driver is going to pass safely.
It would make more sense if the Varia gives a rear-facing notice to drivers to "Please pass safely".

I think most cyclists treat the Varia as a surrogate bully driver. When it beeps, they get out of the way of the car.
Old 08-10-22, 08:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Very perceptive.
Yes, I ride on both sides of the road.

One one stretch, there is a 3 foot wide margin or breakdown alley only on one side of the road. (Not wide enough for a car)
So, I ride facing traffic and then need to cross over when the margin disappears to the other side. What is the right term for "margin"?

I try to avoid riding in the actual traffic lane, whenever possible
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic, but in the margin, than to ride with traffic, but in the actual traffic, causing all sorts of problems for cars.
Absurd. You are being dangerous to yourself and others. make better decisions.
Old 08-10-22, 08:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

The eyeglass lens on the glove is brilliant.
That is the 1 gem in 100 posts of sewage that makes it worth starting threads here!
you liking that is par for the course.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-10-22, 09:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by indyfabz
My oldest kid memorized that song when she was younger. Used to be obsessed with it when she was 9 or so and could rattle it off while keeping rhythm with no metronome.
Old 08-11-22, 05:33 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Never ride without by left side bar-end mirror on my road bike
Old 08-11-22, 05:38 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I think most cyclists treat the Varia as a surrogate bully driver. When it beeps, they get out of the way of the car.
I think your perception of how the Varia assists a rider in being safer on the road is somewhat off.
I'm going to assume you don't use one. If you feel it's just something to 'bully' you out of the way of an approaching vehicle, then I must assume you also don't use a mirror, look over your shoulder, or even listen for vehicles. Instead, you just ride along and hope not to be hit from behind by some inattentive, impaired, or "I just don't like bicycles on MY roads" type driver. Good luck.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-11-22, 05:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I ride with both a Varia radar unit and a helmet mounted mirror. I prefer the helmet mount because I can just move my head a bit to see what is behind in various riding positions (hoods, drops.) Radar lets me know something is coming, but doesn't tell you if it's going to hit you. When I get a radar notification, I check the mirror to make certain the driver is going to pass safely.
THAT is the helmet mirror to have. It does not vibrate and the optics are crystal clear with a huge field of view. Many of the other helmet mirrors have flexible mounts and are very small and/or have reflecting surfaces made from wavy plastic.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-11-22, 06:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I go out of my way not to buy Chinese stuff or support "The Party". After too much observation, experiences, listening to first hand accounts of others and many books read on the subject, my opinion is not rash or impulsive. Individual Chinese here and there in an alien Nation are one thing. Collectively en masse is entirely another. I would make every effort to shut Chinese societal infiltration and influence down wherever it exists.
since 80% of just about everything sold in the U.S. is made in China, or contains parts from, you definitely have your work cut out for you. Bet you don’t have an iPhone then. I admire your resolve but you will need a major coalition of Americans that feel the same way and more importantly can afford products made in the USA.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-11-22, 07:48 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I think your perception of how the Varia assists a rider in being safer on the road is somewhat off.
I'm going to assume you don't use one. If you feel it's just something to 'bully' you out of the way of an approaching vehicle, then I must assume you also don't use a mirror, look over your shoulder, or even listen for vehicles. Instead, you just ride along and hope not to be hit from behind by some inattentive, impaired, or "I just don't like bicycles on MY roads" type driver. Good luck.
No, I have a mirror so I can check when I can change lanes and or turn left. I have a rear-facing camera on case something does happen but since I started using it, there are much less aggressiveness.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-11-22, 09:43 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Daniel4
No, I have a mirror so I can check when I can change lanes and or turn left. I have a rear-facing camera on case something does happen but since I started using it, there are much less aggressiveness.
So, if you don't bother to check your mirror when you hear an approaching vehicle, at least it will make a great YouTube video if you get clobbered. Got it.
Old 08-11-22, 11:15 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
A.

Or do you prefer one mounted to your helmet?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3403241

Theres been times that i have used both --- but i am a self confessed "Fred" also. Now using the Garmin taillight thing too
Old 08-15-22, 05:04 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Despite the difficulties we in the US are having with the PRC, I have many friends and in general found the people much like us, just wanting a better life for their children. I did heavy industry work, little of which is left in our country, where QA/QC and an impeccable reputation a must. Glad to hear in everyday items progress has been made.
Dear Easybug
Is your research on vendor relations published? I would like to read it (and teach it).
Old 08-15-22, 05:32 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
The sunglass lens glove mirror sounds like an interesting idea. Thanks. I have some mirrored sunglasses that I don't use. In Japan the right hand up gesture means turn left (the opposite of the US) but very people use signals. I just point.
In US, left hand up is right turn.

The left turn is more critical and more often the time where the mirror will be employed. If you put the mirror on the left glove (usually in right side traffic like US) and using the mirror to turn left, you'll be giving a conflicting signal of turning right.

This is why I think the glove mirror is not a very good idea.....unless nobody knows how to read bike hand signals or riding in very low volume rural road traffic.
Old 08-15-22, 06:13 AM
easyupbug 

Dear Easybug
Is your research on vendor relations published? I would like to read it (and teach it).
It was for the World's largest mining company at the time intended to be a purely engineering/manufacturing investigation as we were looking at a massive project which was nothing like a mining company had ever done. We utilized Chinese Engineering houses to help and on our own investigating how you could buy your wife a $1,000 Louis Vuitton bag behind the US Embassy for $50 and it might actually be real or the thread might fail or the dye might fade in a few months. We were looking to locate processing in the PRC but got cold feet after the Minister of Mines and Power and his wife were arrested one morning during our talks and being shown a pencil/pen company with a row of diesel generators filling their parking lot used to power the plant when the power plant suppling them was direct to take power away for another project needed by the Peoples Republic.
Likes For easyupbug:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.