Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-09-22, 11:40 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

On July 27th I shipped 2 bikes from Dublin, OH to Norwich, CT via bikeflights. I took the boxes to the UPS store and had both shipping labels printed in the store. One box was 28 pounds and the other 36, so I ensured each label was on the correct box. The worker had difficulty scanning the labels; she repeatedly attempted to scan them with no success, then stated "it's fine, I can put them in manually."

Several days later there had been no update from Bikeflights, nor had I received my bikes. Something seemed off, so I consulted my receipt and entered the tracking numbers. The tracking numbers I received were obviously grossly incorrect; they stated that the items had been shipped July 25th and delivered at 10 A.M in Illinois on the 27th (roughly the same time I shipped my bike.) I called the UPS store and they stated they remembered me, but they weren't responsible for any error in shipment and I'd have to call UPS customer service. I called bikeflights and they've opened an investigation, but, as of yet, no strong leads. They suspect that the bikes may have been shipped to an Amazon warehouse in Illinois, because the erroneous tracking numbers now show they were delivered there July 28th. However, they've been unable to reach anyone there to confirm whether the packages are my bikes.

Here's the kicker: The bikes are worth roughly $1,700 combined, but I was cheap and didn't pay for additional coverage, so each box has only the standard $200 insurance. I inquired about the insurance, and Bikeflights stated they typically need proof the bikes were taken into UPS custody or a police report of missing/stolen items.

Any ideas? Did I just learn a tough lesson in regards to underinsuring packages? FWIW, I've patronized Bikeflights numerous times with no issues, which is why I felt comfortable not paying for additional coverage.

Last edited by amazinmets73; 08-10-22 at 05:49 AM.
Likes For amazinmets73:
Old 08-10-22, 12:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
If you used BikeFlights, aren’t they supposed to handle the issue? They’re their shipping labels; did you file a claim with them?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-10-22, 04:45 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by chaadster
If you used BikeFlights, aren’t they supposed to handle the issue? They’re their shipping labels; did you file a claim with them?
As I said, they're currently investigating.
Old 08-10-22, 04:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Seems pretty cut & dry for your outcome. IF it turns out any better, keep us informed!
Old 08-10-22, 04:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I'd like to learn of others experiences.

I have had problems with UPS in the past and those "stores" are not owned by UPS. I am not comfortable dropping a bike off there but an officially USP office is 30 minutes away. I have understood these franchise stores have no liability for my bike and my fear is the $10K bike walks and I am SOL.

BF previously used FEDEX and I would have the truck pick the bike up at the house for an extra 5 bucks. I was happy with the old BF
Old 08-10-22, 05:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
This doesn't sound like a UPS store issue. It seems the problem is that the shipper was provided address labels that used previously used tracking numbers from other random completed shipments. Odd
Old 08-10-22, 05:48 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This doesn't sound like a UPS store issue. It seems the problem is that the shipper was provided address labels that used previously used tracking numbers from other random completed shipments. Odd
That seems to be what Bikeflights believes as well. If that's the case, who's responsible?
Old 08-10-22, 06:18 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
A hard lesson. I would file a police report now, you have a limited amount of time to do it. It could be someone at your UPS “store” is stealing things and tampering with the labels and tracking numbers to try and hide what they are doing. Always pay for insurance when shipping anything anywhere, nowadays when we see doorbell videos showing package thefts every day, your odds of getting your packages stolen are high. I have shipped thousands of items by UPS, and tend to over-insure packages due to the headache and delays when I have to file a claim. It usually takes around 8 months for UPS to pay me when I have a claim, which is at least a few times per year.
Old 08-10-22, 06:47 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
A hard lesson. I would file a police report now, you have a limited amount of time to do it. It could be someone at your UPS “store” is stealing things and tampering with the labels and tracking numbers to try and hide what they are doing. Always pay for insurance when shipping anything anywhere, nowadays when we see doorbell videos showing package thefts every day, your odds of getting your packages stolen are high. I have shipped thousands of items by UPS, and tend to over-insure packages due to the headache and delays when I have to file a claim. It usually takes around 8 months for UPS to pay me when I have a claim, which is at least a few times per year.
How do you file a police report? I'm assuming with the jurisdiction I shipped the bikes with?

Should I posted photos of the bikes somewhere in the hope they're recovered?

BTW, while have $400 in coverage with Bikeflights, is it possible I have additional coverage with UPS?
Old 08-10-22, 06:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Experience is a hard school, etc.

You're basically self-insured above the $200/box basic. Perhaps the bright side is you'll shortly have $400 to go bike shopping with!
Old 08-10-22, 07:02 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Experience is a hard school, etc.

You're basically self-insured above the $200/box basic. Perhaps the bright side is you'll shortly have $400 to go bike shopping with!
Yes, a paltry $400 as opposed to the nearly 2K I could have sold the bikes for.
Old 08-10-22, 07:19 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by amazinmets73
How do you file a police report? I'm assuming with the jurisdiction I shipped the bikes with?

Should I posted photos of the bikes somewhere in the hope they're recovered?

BTW, while have $400 in coverage with Bikeflights, is it possible I have additional coverage with UPS?
I doubt it, you can contact them.

I sold something once and the buyer did not want to pay for insurance. UPS drove a forklift over the thing and broke the stock.

They would not pay. I would try anyway. They seem to have lost it, could be a different story in your case.
Old 08-10-22, 07:37 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 401 Posts
Sorry to sidetrack the OP’s issue, but can someone explain Bikeflight’s involvement here. If the customer has to drop the bike off at the USP store, what service is Bikeflight providing? I mean are they just a “middleman” since you drop the bike off at a UPS store to be shipped? I’ve never used Bikeflight, but instead of paying for their service, isn’t it possible, and cheaper, to just cut them out and ship the bike yourself without their involvement?

Dan
Old 08-10-22, 07:43 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Sorry to sidetrack the OP’s issue, but can someone explain Bikeflight’s involvement here. If the customer has to drop the bike off at the USP store, what service is Bikeflight providing? I mean are they just a “middleman” since you drop the bike off at a UPS store to be shipped? I’ve never used Bikeflight, but instead of paying for their service, isn’t it possible, and cheaper, to just cut them out and ship the bike yourself without their involvement?

Dan
It's very easy to ship the bikes without Bikeflights involvement. It damn sure isn't cheaper.
Old 08-10-22, 07:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Here's the kicker: The bikes are worth roughly $1,700 combined, but I was cheap and didn't pay for additional coverage, so each box has only the standard $200 insurance. FWIW, I've patronized Bikeflights numerous times with no issues, which is why I felt comfortable not paying for additional coverage.
That's like saying you drove a month with no accidents, therefore you don't need car insurance.

UPS insurance is $1.05 for every $100 over $100. So it would have cost you about $15 bucks to insure your bikes for their true value. And you cheaped out anyway. The cost of a couple six-packs.

An expensive lesson indeed.

Last edited by smd4; 08-10-22 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-10-22, 08:29 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
Chances are he is already feeling bad about it. Oh, look, he even said so (in the part you edited out).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-10-22, 08:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
I'm hoping it will turn up. Did you have a second shipping label with full ID inside the box?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-10-22, 08:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
A hard lesson. I would file a police report now, you have a limited amount of time to do it.
Why in the world would you file a police report for something that has been misplaced by the shipper?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-10-22, 09:01 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Chances are he is already feeling bad about it. Oh, look, he even said so (in the part you edited out).
Sorry--didn't realize I needed to quote his entire post and address every single point in it. I'll remember that for next time.
Old 08-10-22, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

It is more like $1.60 per thousand to insure. Two directions on an expensive with shipping would be over $500, not exactly chump change.

What I have done in the past and am now reconsidering, is to pay insurance on the frame. Say it is a $4,000 frame, I pay the 64 bucks each direction when going on vacation or to a race. I doubted that the components would be damaged or in other words, the frame is what gets ruined and possibly some replaceable spokes.

I usually assume the box will not be put vertically, it will be on its side with a 1000 pounds on top. So, structural support is needed to keep the weight off the frame. Wood, cardboard, PVC pipe etc can be used.

But lost? I never consider that. Stolen? yes. I call and ask what time the driver picks up from Fedex dropoff and go about that time to minimize a bike laying around a drop store that has no liability
Old 08-10-22, 09:07 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It is more like $1.60 per thousand to insure. Two directions on an expensive with shipping would be over $500, not exactly chump change.
Bad math.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-10-22, 09:21 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

Dan
I investigated using BikeFlights to ship my bike from the US to Ireland for a vacation. For that trip at least, the process was for for me to take the bike to a local participating bike shop, where it would be broken down, packed and shipped either to a participating shop in Dublin, where it would be reassembled for me to pick up, or to my "home address" in Dublin. The actual shipping would be, UPS, FedEx, whoever - the choice of which would affect the overall price. Using BikeFlights meant that there was one payment - they would pay the shops for their work, and the shipping. It's more of a convenience (supposedly) than a cheap alternative to packing and shipping the bike yourself. As it turned out, it would have cost ~$900 for the round trip to Ireland, with 7-10 days transit each direction. It would have almost been cheaper to buy a bike in Dublin and leave it there for the next time. In the end, I found a local bike rental for 200 Euro for 2 wk - a low-end Giant with 8sp Claris, but adequate to the task.
Old 08-10-22, 09:32 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Dan
Bikeflights is convenient in some situations. I've used them when buying things out of state. I will have the seller take the bike to a bikeflights listed LBS, pay the shop to pack it and arrange with bikeflights to have UPS collect it from the LBS. You can also have them pick it up from the sellers house if the seller can package it. The shipping isn't very expensive with them and the insurance is cheap. Only once did UPS say a bike was lost then it turned out it was on a truck and not scanned into the system. I hope the OP gets his bikes back.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 08-10-22, 09:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,180 Times in 7,062 Posts

Dan

...basically, they started out as a middleman service, shopping your package around to various shipping services and getting bids, to get the lowest rate.
It was quite useful, because they usually came in at about half the UPS rate if I took the package in the door at my local UPS service cold.

They have expanded significantly since I used them, and now offer both packing services and well made boxes, which are not cheap but seem to have a good reputation. I've not used them in a few years.
Old 08-10-22, 09:46 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by m.c.
Bikeflights is convenient in some situations. I've used them when buying things out of state. I will have the seller take the bike to a bikeflights listed LBS, pay the shop to pack it and arrange with bikeflights to have UPS collect it from the LBS. You can also have them pick it up from the sellers house if the seller can package it. The shipping isn't very expensive with them and the insurance is cheap. Only once did UPS say a bike was lost then it turned out it was on a truck and not scanned into the system. I hope the OP gets his bikes back.
That's some good news. My hope is they weren't delivered to an incorrect address and are on a truck or in a storage facility as they weren't scanned.

How long did it take to find the bike?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.