Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Old 08-10-22, 09:49 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
That's some good news. My hope is they weren't delivered to an incorrect address and are on a truck or in a storage facility as they weren't scanned.

How long did it take to find the bike?
I called a couple of times and got to a person that had better information, it was only a day or so.
Old 08-10-22, 10:05 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
On July 27th I shipped 2 bikes from Dublin, OH to Norwich, CT via bikeflights. I took the boxes to the UPS store and had both shipping labels printed in the store. One box was 28 pounds and the other 36, so I ensured each label was on the correct box. The worker had difficulty scanning the labels; she repeatedly attempted to scan them with no success, then stated "it's fine, I can put them in manually."

Several days later there had been no update from Bikeflights, nor had I received my bikes. Something seemed off, so I consulted my receipt and entered the tracking numbers. The tracking numbers I received were obviously grossly incorrect; they stated that the items had been shipped July 25th and delivered at 10 A.M in Illinois on the 27th (roughly the same time I shipped my bike.) I called the UPS store and they stated they remembered me, but they weren't responsible for any error in shipment and I'd have to call UPS customer service. I called bikeflights and they've opened an investigation, but, as of yet, no strong leads. They suspect that the bikes may have been shipped to an Amazon warehouse in Illinois, because the erroneous tracking numbers now show they were delivered there July 28th. However, they've been unable to reach anyone there to confirm whether the packages are my bikes.

Here's the kicker: The bikes are worth roughly $1,700 combined, but I was cheap and didn't pay for additional coverage, so each box has only the standard $200 insurance. I inquired about the insurance, and Bikeflights stated they typically need proof the bikes were taken into UPS custody or a police report of missing/stolen items.

Any ideas? Did I just learn a tough lesson in regards to underinsuring packages? FWIW, I've patronized Bikeflights numerous times with no issues, which is why I felt comfortable not paying for additional coverage.
this is an UPS issue. There is a chance that the bikes just haven't hit a depot to be scanned but are still in transit thus nothing is wrong. I had this happen where my tracking just says shipping label created but the vendor shipped out the item, yet the item shows up randomly without any scan history. Alternatively, they simply could be lost and in that case you are screwed since you didn't take the additional insurance
Old 08-10-22, 10:31 AM
hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Check if the credit card that you used to pay for the shipping insured the shipping? I've got one of the fancy Chase cards and it seems to insure everything it touches.
Likes For hankj:
Old 08-10-22, 11:13 AM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hankj
Check if the credit card that you used to pay for the shipping insured the shipping? I've got one of the fancy Chase cards and it seems to insure everything it touches.
I used PayPal. Apparently they have buyers protection.

Great idea!
Old 08-10-22, 11:25 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
If you operate in an iOS environment, "AirTags" are a must whenever shipping or checking luggage. Chances are very good you would at least know where your bikes are.
Old 08-10-22, 11:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Next up also is if it is a label issue and lost, BF provides the labels. So that's a BF problem. All you do is print. If they gave the person wrong labels, that's on them, not UPS. It's a UPS thing if the label is correct, and they ship it wrong.

I used them to ship some wheels to a buyer. You print the exact label and adhere it to the box, company shows up to doorstep to pickup. I would always do that versus drop off at a sketchy local shipping location.

I also agree with another person, another case for the "airtag" movement. Chance someone walks by it and it pings and you can verify the location.
Old 08-10-22, 02:47 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Bad math.
no bad typing

bad response
Old 08-10-22, 03:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
no bad typing

bad response
Regardless, your $500 figure is more than x10 too high for the OP’s situation.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-10-22, 04:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Next up also is if it is a label issue and lost, BF provides the labels. So that's a BF problem. All you do is print. If they gave the person wrong labels, that's on them, not UPS. It's a UPS thing if the label is correct, and they ship it wrong.

I used them to ship some wheels to a buyer. You print the exact label and adhere it to the box, company shows up to doorstep to pickup. I would always do that versus drop off at a sketchy local shipping location.

I also agree with another person, another case for the "airtag" movement. Chance someone walks by it and it pings and you can verify the location.
+1. The $200 coverage or whatnot I would presume coverage for normal operations. If they flagrantly screwed up, then I'd say (but what do I know) that all bets are off. Like the coatcheck disclaimers.. 'not responsible for lost or stolen items' -- that don't cut it if the coatcheck person is the one stealing the stuff.
Old 08-10-22, 04:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 251 Posts
Do you have a riding pal that is an attorney?........or a relative or in-law or perhaps next door neighbor that is an attorney?

The reason that I mention that it seems to me that due to the fact that the young lady at the UPS Store, skipped the scanning process for whatever reason, and then told you that she would enter the numbers manually......and then gave you a the proof of payment/shipping receipt-tracking receipt WITH THE WRONG TRACKING NUMBER!
***Check with an attorney pal of yours, as they the UPS store has a burden to complete what would legally considered a "contract" with you the (customer) having some legal protection, as you paid fully in good faith with full expectations that ordinary expected(normal) receipt and tracking code would be provided to you at that time.
THE FACT THAT THE YOUNG LADY(clerk) DEVIATED FROM NORMAL PROTOCOL PROCEEDURE, WOULD SEEM TO OPEN THE DOOR TO FORCE THE UPS STORE TO PROVIDE RESTITUTION!
Basically, and I don't want this to sound harsh, but you've got to go after the independent UPS Store proprietor with immediate pressure from your attorney pal. It is just business proceedure! When you make it so that they (UPS store owner/proprietor) has to spend his/her time responding and incurring legal costs from his/her own attorney for consultation etc on this matter, YOU GET THE ATTENTION OF SAID BUSINESS OWNER(in this case, the UPS Store proprietor).
The store probably has recorded video, and either way if your attorney were to bring that up, as to have the store show that they (the store) did not screw up with respect to the young lady (clerk) deviating from normal proceedure. The store owner will probably have one of three possible responses: (a) we don't record video (b)its already erased as it deletes older material (c) our recording cameras haven't been broken for a long time.
Either way, the fact that they cannot provide undisputed visual evidence that your account of the matter is wrong and has no merit, will very much build your "pressure-squeeze" of the proprietor. Yes, it essentially where your attorney pal, attempts to stress out the store's proprietor. It is completely legal and it goes on thousands of times a day as nobody said attorneys were the greatest role models. The UPS Store proprietor likely will want to do what is necessary to alleviate this pressure, and thus will likely wake up to trying to help you possibly locate your missing bike and resolve this issue. They won't give a damn otherwise, but make it known (legally) to UPS corporate and the chairman/CEO, that UPS Store xyz , doing business as "--------------", owned by "-----------", and perhaps then maybe you'll get their attention.
It isn't a good thing for such a business to have serious complaints with customer documentation that seem to substantiate those allegations. Potentially seriously unhappy customers aren't a great thing for a business like that, or any business.

Perhaps there was no nefarious mischief at all from the young clerk as that would probably require them to be smart and that is highly doubtful given that they toil in a very low paying job with little opportunity for advancement. It just does not seem that they are likely to be criminally brilliant, but more likely, just an ordinary, honest, good natured person but just so dumb or uncaring in her job, that things got messed up with no malice at all.
Still, the UPS Store did seem to screw up and fumble the ball, giving you perhaps an opening..
Old 08-10-22, 05:23 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I used BikeFlights and they picked up the frame at my house in California and dropped off the frame at the painter in Ohio with no problem. I was worried so I insured the frame . The Bike Flights people even called me back on a Saturday when I had a question about printing the label. I had no contact with UPS other than tracking which I did frequently, it was my Colnago and I waited a long time to buy one for myself.
Old 08-10-22, 05:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Do you have a riding pal that is an attorney?........or a relative or in-law or perhaps next door neighbor that is an attorney?

The reason that I mention that it seems to me that due to the fact that the young lady at the UPS Store, skipped the scanning process for whatever reason, and then told you that she would enter the numbers manually......and then gave you a the proof of payment/shipping receipt-tracking receipt WITH THE WRONG TRACKING NUMBER!
***Check with an attorney pal of yours, as they the UPS store has a burden to complete what would legally considered a "contract" with you the (customer) having some legal protection, as you paid fully in good faith with full expectations that ordinary expected(normal) receipt and tracking code would be provided to you at that time.
THE FACT THAT THE YOUNG LADY(clerk) DEVIATED FROM NORMAL PROTOCOL PROCEEDURE, WOULD SEEM TO OPEN THE DOOR TO FORCE THE UPS STORE TO PROVIDE RESTITUTION!
Basically, and I don't want this to sound harsh, but you've got to go after the independent UPS Store proprietor with immediate pressure from your attorney pal. It is just business proceedure! When you make it so that they (UPS store owner/proprietor) has to spend his/her time responding and incurring legal costs from his/her own attorney for consultation etc on this matter, YOU GET THE ATTENTION OF SAID BUSINESS OWNER(in this case, the UPS Store proprietor).
The store probably has recorded video, and either way if your attorney were to bring that up, as to have the store show that they (the store) did not screw up with respect to the young lady (clerk) deviating from normal proceedure. The store owner will probably have one of three possible responses: (a) we don't record video (b)its already erased as it deletes older material (c) our recording cameras haven't been broken for a long time.
Either way, the fact that they cannot provide undisputed visual evidence that your account of the matter is wrong and has no merit, will very much build your "pressure-squeeze" of the proprietor. Yes, it essentially where your attorney pal, attempts to stress out the store's proprietor. It is completely legal and it goes on thousands of times a day as nobody said attorneys were the greatest role models. The UPS Store proprietor likely will want to do what is necessary to alleviate this pressure, and thus will likely wake up to trying to help you possibly locate your missing bike and resolve this issue. They won't give a damn otherwise, but make it known (legally) to UPS corporate and the chairman/CEO, that UPS Store xyz , doing business as "--------------", owned by "-----------", and perhaps then maybe you'll get their attention.
It isn't a good thing for such a business to have serious complaints with customer documentation that seem to substantiate those allegations. Potentially seriously unhappy customers aren't a great thing for a business like that, or any business.

Perhaps there was no nefarious mischief at all from the young clerk as that would probably require them to be smart and that is highly doubtful given that they toil in a very low paying job with little opportunity for advancement. It just does not seem that they are likely to be criminally brilliant, but more likely, just an ordinary, honest, good natured person but just so dumb or uncaring in her job, that things got messed up with no malice at all.
Still, the UPS Store did seem to screw up and fumble the ball, giving you perhaps an opening..
A few comments. From what I gather you are expecting the OP to lean on a friend or relative to provide free legal services and engage in a harassment campaign of the small business owner and extort some form of payment in addition to the contractually obliged amount? You are asking a professional whose asset is a select skill and time to do this for free yet at the same time make some cheap shot about the character of lawyers.

Not sure where your position of intellectual superiority comes from to call the employee dumb? First of all the problem could have been from a situation beyond their control, you know nothing about this person. Those in glass houses.

To the OP, I would stay the course and continue to follow up with all the parties involved.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-10-22 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-10-22, 05:44 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Regardless, your $500 figure is more than x10 too high for the OP’s situation.
regardless, learn to read or know what you are talking about.

It is impossible to ship for 50 bucks w/o insurance as you just wrote.

Do me a favor, don't respond. A thread is a discussion. As usual, you add nothing of value. I wanted to gain some insight how to ship most effectively. Some slammed OP saying he cheaped out. Insurance is not cheap. It is about 1.6% each direction. 3.2% if doing a round trip. An effective strategy could be to insure just the frame as it is most likely to be lost.
Old 08-10-22, 05:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
1.6% is expensive?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-10-22, 06:12 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 286 Posts
I remember trying to track a UPS shipment once, and attuned out that the number had rot be entered in a particular way (with or without spaces, I forget) to work in their system.
Old 08-10-22, 06:24 PM
tomato coupe

Do me a favor, don't respond. A thread is a discussion. As usual, you add nothing of value. I wanted to gain some insight how to ship most effectively. Some slammed OP saying he cheaped out. Insurance is not cheap. It is about 1.6% each direction. 3.2% if doing a round trip. An effective strategy could be to insure just the frame as it is most likely to be lost.
Dude, what are you going on about? As someone previously posted, UPS charges $1.05 per $100 of insurance (after the first $100), so for the OP that would have meant $15.75 for insurance for both bikes, one-way. Your $1.60 per $1,000 insurance rate is was way off.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 08-10-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 08:33 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
I used PayPal. Apparently they have buyers protection.

Great idea!
The problem you may have with PayPal and I had on a purchase is the tracking shows it delivered. Hopefully PayPal will recognize for you the wrong shipment did not go to your address and will default to the shipper like for me. I lost a $50 bike rack. 2nd time screwed by PayPal. The. They charge 5% for a donation to a nonprofit charity. I’ll write a check and drop it off.
Old 08-10-22, 10:43 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
Why in the world would you file a police report for something that has been misplaced by the shipper?
From long experience as a police officer, and now as a business owner who uses UPS on a daily basis. “Misplaced” is too often the passive expression for “stolen.” UPS have “misplaced” many of my packages over the last few years, all had been shown by UPS as “delivered.”

Good luck with PayPal. They claim to have something called “seller protection” but they have never, ever given me a refund, despite more than 10,000 transactions worth a couple million dollars. That is why I insure each and every package I ship.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-10-22, 11:45 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
From long experience as a police officer, and now as a business owner who uses UPS on a daily basis. “Misplaced” is too often the passive expression for “stolen.” UPS have “misplaced” many of my packages over the last few years, all had been shown by UPS as “delivered.”
As a police officer, did you investigate a lot of lost UPS packages?
Old 08-11-22, 11:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts

Dude, what are you going on about? As someone previously posted, UPS charges $1.05 per $100 of insurance (after the first $100), so for the OP that would have meant $15.75 for insurance for both bikes, one-way. Your $1.60 per $1,000 insurance rate is was way off.
1.6% would be $1.60 per $100 of insurance. Itomato coupe's $1.60 per $1,000 rate is much further off than GhostRider62's, if UPS is charging $1.05 per $100.
Old 08-11-22, 11:15 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by pdlamb
1.6% would be $1.60 per $100 of insurance. Itomato coupe's $1.60 per $1,000 rate is much further off than GhostRider62's, if UPS is charging $1.05 per $100.
You've got it backwards:

It is more like $1.60 per thousand to insure.
As someone previously posted, UPS charges $1.05 per $100 of insurance (after the first $100), so for the OP that would have meant $15.75 for insurance for both bikes, one-way. Your $1.60 per $1,000 insurance rate is was way off.
Old 08-11-22, 11:16 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,009 Posts
Old 08-11-22, 05:35 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
As a police officer, did you investigate a lot of lost UPS packages?
Yes. Drivers were arrested for stealing packages. There were a couple package sorters who were arrested for stealing firearms at a sorting facility. One driver was arrested for burglarizing a house after dropping off a package.

According to the stats, some $25 million worth of packages are stolen in America every single day.
Old 08-11-22, 05:53 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Yes. Drivers were arrested for stealing packages. There were a couple package sorters who were arrested for stealing firearms at a sorting facility. One driver was arrested for burglarizing a house after dropping off a package.
Good, glad you caught those guys. But, the OP's situation looks like a simple case of a lost package, not theft. There's a high likelihood that UPS will eventually find the bikes.
Old 08-12-22, 07:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
You've got it backwards:
Looks more like a typo than the typhoon you're making of it, but still...

Congratulations, you found an error on the internet.
Likes For pdlamb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.