Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to donate a Raleigh where it will be given, not sold

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-22, 12:05 PM
77record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I thought that I'd occasionally ride my 77 Raleigh Record after I bought a new Trek. But guess what, I haven't touched the Record since February. Since I owned it for 44 years since it was new, of course I'm attached to it, but....space is at a premium and it's being wasted.

I don't want to sell it and thought I might be able to donate it to a local organization that would give it to someone in need rather than charge for it. I checked local refugee support briefly but so far no luck.

I'm near Albany, NY. Anyone have experience doing this? I don't know where to start and Google hasn't been real helpful so far.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-22, 02:10 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Have you talked to the Electric City Bike Rescue in Schenectady ( https://www.electriccitybikerescue.org/
) or Bikeatoga in Saratoga Springs? (https://www.bikeatoga.org/ ) ? Some bike rescues (a.k.a. bike co-ops, bike kitchens, community bike shops) will keep a bike intact to give it away, while others will disassemble it and give it to kids to put together. I'm not sure which policy either of these shops follows. It's worth asking them

It also looks like there were/are bike rescues in Albany and Troy, but their website is down. troybikerescue.org

Good luck! I lived in Schenectady for a year and really liked it -- especially biking around there.
Likes For brianinc-ville:
Old 08-13-22, 02:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
In many places this is probably going to be you finding the person you feel deserving of the bike. Once it's not yours, you really shouldn't put limitations or expectations on its use or transfer to another.
Old 08-13-22, 02:24 PM
77record

Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Have you talked to the Electric City Bike Rescue in Schenectady ( https://www.electriccitybikerescue.org/
) or Bikeatoga in Saratoga Springs? (https://www.bikeatoga.org/ ) ? Some bike rescues (a.k.a. bike co-ops, bike kitchens, community bike shops) will keep a bike intact to give it away, while others will disassemble it and give it to kids to put together. I'm not sure which policy either of these shops follows. It's worth asking them

It also looks like there were/are bike rescues in Albany and Troy, but their website is down. troybikerescue.org

Good luck! I lived in Schenectady for a year and really liked it -- especially biking around there.
Originally Posted by Iride01
In many places this is probably going to be you finding the person you feel deserving of the bike. Once it's not yours, you really shouldn't put limitations or expectations on its use or transfer to another.

Fantastic, Just the local info I was hoping for! I'll check that out.

Also, I thought about posting it on craigslist for cheap, and if I get the right reply, give it to someone free. I know once it's gone whatever happens will happen, but it's worth a try to me.
Old 08-14-22, 06:42 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
You’ll regret it!

Turn the handlebars 90 degrees, remove the pedals, and tuck it under the proverbial bed.

Barry (43yr old Holdsworth)
Old 08-14-22, 07:35 AM
77record

Originally Posted by Barry2
You’ll regret it!

Turn the handlebars 90 degrees, remove the pedals, and tuck it under the proverbial bed.

Barry (43yr old Holdsworth)
I don't think I will. I'll find somebody who needs it more than I do. 🙂🙂
Old 08-14-22, 07:50 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
This. If you just want the bike gone and hope it goes into good hands, donate it somewhere and take your chances. But once it is gone it may be sold, butchered, beaten and neglected.

But I seem to recall you posting previously that you have had this bike since new. I'd be so sentimental I'd want to be sure it went to someone that would appreciate it. But I'm possibly among the minority that appreciates entry level and bike boom bikes.

Old 08-14-22, 07:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Some bike rescues (a.k.a. bike co-ops, bike kitchens, community bike shops) will keep a bike intact to give it away, while others will disassemble it and give it to kids to put together. I'm not sure which policy either of these shops follows. It's worth asking them.
Your post really resonated with me. There is a place like that here in Colorado Springs, Pedal Station/Kids On Bikes (https://kidsonbikes.net/pedal-station/).

They have been a source if low-cost parts, repairs and instruction for my small-budget projects. But during the 18 months I was unwillingly self-employed, without a bike commute and on a strict budget, they kept me riding. So to celebrate my new full-time, bikeable office job I bought a beautifully reconditioned road bike from them (2006 Felt F65) and made another donation of cast-off parts, some of which I had bought from them, and now they can resell again.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-14-22, 08:13 AM
77record

A gift freely given is out of one's control when it's gone.
Old 08-14-22, 08:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,180 Times in 7,062 Posts
...speaking from some degree of personal experience, if you advertise it on the local Craigslist at a very low price, it actually increases the chances that it will attract the attention of someone who will disassemble it for the parts. I guess you can cove that with your interview, but I would be reluctant to deal with the other people it attracts. Here, if you donate an intact and working bike to the Bike Kitchen, they will sell it on, intact, relatively cheaply, to earn money to cover the costs of operating the place. No one gets a salary. There was one other organization here that specialized in rehabilitating and giving away bikes to the homeless, but I don't know how or if they survived the Covid pandemic. I think that, given your ambition as stated, I'd list it on CL at a high enough price to discourage the people looking for a cheap donor bike for parts, but still low enough to be competitive. I do not know what that price would be.
Old 08-14-22, 09:59 AM
77record

Thanks, I'll call the bike kitchen too
Old 08-14-22, 02:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by 77record
Fantastic, Just the local info I was hoping for! I'll check that out.

Also, I thought about posting it on craigslist for cheap, and if I get the right reply, give it to someone free. I know once it's gone whatever happens will happen, but it's worth a try to me.
sometimes on Craigslist people will lowball your price and then sell the item for more than your your asking. It upsets me but then they probably need the money so that calms me down.

there are a couple ôf online bike charities for the third world you might see are still operating

Old 08-14-22, 02:57 PM
saulgoldie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know if you have it "up there." But we have a) Freecycle, and b) "Free bikes for kids," AKA: FB4K

Also, as have been mentioned, Craigslist.
Old 08-14-22, 05:27 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 286 Posts
Old Spokes Home in Burlington, VT
Probably not convenient to you, but I would expect that they would know of the other, similar organizations.
Good luck.
Old 08-14-22, 09:41 PM
chris529

Bikes: Cannondale R300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to adopt it. I'll be going to Harriman in September.
Old 08-16-22, 05:35 PM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
I have an 88 Bianchi that I bought new when I was a teen. After getting my Canyon, it didn't get much use either until I fixed it up and made it my errand bike.

Instead of drop bars, it now flat bars. Clip pedals switched out to nylon. Quick release replaced with skewers. Put on a gel seat. Its basically my beater bike. Now I ride it all the time to pick up and drop off packages. I carry a U-lock in my backpack and only lock to the frame. Its an old bike and no one is interested in stealing it.

Because there is no preparation to ride it; i.e. changing to bike shorts and putting on cleats, I ride it more often.
When I'm doing longer rides, where I don't need to carry a heavy lock, then I use the Canyon.

If you still want to donate it, look for a bicycle co-op in your area.

I usually donate to my co-op parts that I don't need.
Vélocity Bicycle Cooperative – Building a bicycling community in Alexandria, VA. (velocitycoop.org)

Last edited by WilliamT; 08-16-22 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 06:17 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I had an experience that taught me a lot about giving. I had a homeless individual do some floor painting in my shop . He worked for me for a couple of weeks and rode a bike to work. One day he showed up late on foot. I asked him what happened and he told me someone stole his bike while he slept , a common occurrence among the unhoused. I had a mid level Specialized mountain bike that I hardly ever rode so I tuned it up and bought him a lock and gave it to him. The next time he came by to do some cleaning , it had been spray painted, ape hanger handlebars with the brake levers just dangling , and the front derailleur twisted sideways. I asked what happened and he said it worked much better for him that way. Initially I was P.O.’d but then I learned the true meaning of “giving”. Let’s just say , I would not do it again. I would rather give it to a co op and let them deal with it!
Old 08-16-22, 06:32 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 541 Posts
Keep in mind that it may be that an organization selling the bike will help more people than giving it away. If it has collector value, the value from selling it might pay to get bikes to several people in need vs. just one. Also, if it's just given to someone who needs a bike, it may just end up thrashed or stolen because the recipient won't have any consideration for it's value.

If it was mine, I would want it sold to someone I knew would appreciate and take care of it and use the money for more practical bikes or for parts to fix other bikes that can be donated to people in need.
Old 08-16-22, 08:49 PM
chris529

Bikes: Cannondale R300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point but I would like to find an old bike from the 70's

I miss those old "butterfly brakes" on the handlebars.