Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Shift Lever Hood Replacement Problem

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-13-22, 02:19 PM
5282guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I replaced my hoods maybe 6 weeks ago. The one on the right has suddenly started coming loose and it's annoying. I have to keep twisting it down and on.
Of course Shimano is no help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-22, 04:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by 5282guy
I replaced my hoods maybe 6 weeks ago. The one on the right has suddenly started coming loose and it's annoying. I have to keep twisting it down and on.
Of course Shimano is no help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
It would help if you post a photo.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-13-22, 05:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are they actual Shimano brand and you bought the hoods that match your particular model and version STI?

Of course I'm only assuming STI. Might help if you provide more details about what exactly you have and what you bought.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-13-22 at 05:22 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-13-22, 06:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Need more details. Most newer Shimano rubber hoods have little tabs that mate up with small slots in the lever so they should stay in place. Or is the entire hood/shifter unit moving?!? That means you need to tighten the clamp that holds it on the bars.
Old 08-13-22, 06:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
The tabs are critical.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-13-22, 08:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
What exactly do you expect Shimano to do?
Old 08-13-22, 09:29 PM
5282guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
It would help if you post a photo.
Will do if itt happens again. I uninstalled it and re-installed it. So far, so good.
Old 08-13-22, 09:31 PM
5282guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
Need more details. Most newer Shimano rubber hoods have little tabs that mate up with small slots in the lever so they should stay in place. Or is the entire hood/shifter unit moving?!? That means you need to tighten the clamp that holds it on the bars.
Yes, those tabs are key. There are no clamps,
Old 08-16-22, 12:42 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Will do if itt happens again. I uninstalled it and re-installed it. So far, so good.
So you posted the question without even trying to fix it by trying to put it on better? Asking people who have absolutely no idea what the issue looks like or what you might have done or not done? How do you expect blind people to help on something like this (blind in the sense of having absolutely no idea of what's going on).

Any way, if it's working after you reinstalled the hood, what was the difference?
Old 08-21-22, 06:35 PM
5282guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
So you posted the question without even trying to fix it by trying to put it on better? Asking people who have absolutely no idea what the issue looks like or what you might have done or not done? How do you expect blind people to help on something like this (blind in the sense of having absolutely no idea of what's going on).

Any way, if it's working after you reinstalled the hood, what was the difference?
You're a ******bag. You're not worth more than a few seconds, so I'll just say that I had re-adjusted it. I removed it and it's coming off again. Your silly use of the word "absolutely" doesn't make you look any smarter. Finally, it is a problem, not an "issue," you idiot.
Likes For 5282guy:
Old 08-21-22, 07:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You're a ******bag. You're not worth more than a few seconds, so I'll just say that I had re-adjusted it. I removed it and it's coming off again. Your silly use of the word "absolutely" doesn't make you look any smarter. Finally, it is a problem, not an "issue," you idiot.
Oooooohhhh, you really got him with '******bag'. I'm sure he's so upset at being called that he won't post for weeks. Or not. But...I agree with his post 100%. What kind of response do you think you'd get when asking a question like this? How can anyone help from here, especially w/ no photos. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror, you might find you're the 'issue' here.
Old 08-22-22, 04:27 PM
5282guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Oooooohhhh, you really got him with '******bag'. I'm sure he's so upset at being called that he won't post for weeks. Or not. But...I agree with his post 100%. What kind of response do you think you'd get when asking a question like this? How can anyone help from here, especially w/ no photos. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror, you might find you're the 'issue' here.
Another keyboard commando! Tough guy. LOL! Are you his boyfriend? Did that Spandex get a little righter when you first saw his post? But then your feelings got hurt. I'll let you two get down to bidness, Nancy.
Old 08-22-22, 04:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Another keyboard commando! Tough guy. LOL! Are you his boyfriend? Did that Spandex get a little righter when you first saw his post? But then your feelings got hurt. I'll let you two get down to bidness, Nancy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-22-22, 05:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I just bought a replacement set for my 785s, since the tabs on the original ones don't stay put, and I've worn down the textured part. I can't figure out how to get the old ones off (and similarly fear never getting the new (authentic Shimano) ones on). Are there any tricks? Do you have to disassemble the levers or anything drastic like that?

Old 08-23-22, 09:13 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I just bought a replacement set for my 785s, since the tabs on the original ones don't stay put, and I've worn down the textured part. I can't figure out how to get the old ones off (and similarly fear never getting the new (authentic Shimano) ones on). Are there any tricks? Do you have to disassemble the levers or anything drastic like that?

Well, I found this answer to my question, in case anyone else is wondering (and wrongly clicked on this thread expecting some informational content, like I did):

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-23-22, 06:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mine wound up being more of a struggle than what is shown in the video, and I had to use a little bit of liquid hand soap instead of hand sanitizer, but they did go on, and now I have a hood that is properly attached at all the tabs for the first time in probably 5 years or more. The old ones had lost all of the texturized surface, and were starting to dissintegrate.
Old 08-23-22, 06:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Camilo
S
Speaking only for me -- the problem is that the rubber easily deforms, and heating it up in the blazing sun really helped. If it sits unattached too long, you might never get the tabs to connect properly. I lived with it for more than 5 years, but finally got annoyed enough to buy some new ones. I really hope they stay put, and now I know how to deal with it if they don't. (I think.)