Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Latex vs. Tubeless- Its not what you think.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-14-22, 12:22 PM
crklein3 

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I have run inner tubes, latex, Aerothans. Light tubes are amazing for going fast. But what a pain for tight tires on carbon rims. A lot of you don't like tubeless but they have served me well for the last couple of years. I have never been left stranded. That said I am jinxed Here's my setup-Stans Race Sealant for new install and topped up through valve with Stans regular. I am currently switched to running Silca Ultimate Sealant with carbon fibers. Because carbon is faster. I'll keep you posted of the results.

Old 08-14-22, 12:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Did you manage to get the Silca Ultimate through your valve stem without clogging?

havent heard of putting it in latex tubes before, only tubeless tires. Let me know how it goes

Old 08-14-22, 10:54 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
I'm actually running one of each at the moment. I have a latex tubed front and tubeless rear. Bought a new set of tubeless wheels and needed one new tire.
Old 08-16-22, 08:55 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by crklein3
... Light tubes are amazing for going fast. But what a pain for tight tires on carbon rims.
What is the issue you are having? You can inflate the tube slightly before you get the last section of the tire on the rim. that way it won't get caught between the rim and the tire.
Old 08-16-22, 10:53 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Did you manage to get the Silca Ultimate through your valve stem without clogging?

havent heard of putting it in latex tubes before, only tubeless tires. Let me know how it goes

some of the better tubes you can remove the valve stem - maybe this is the type he has --- then you can inject the sealer in that way.

I remember the old Slime days -- we'd literally puncture the new tube, inject the slime, then patch it also
Old 08-17-22, 09:35 PM
crklein3 

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Sorry for the misrepresentation. I'm running tubeless now. Tubes and latex were in the past. Silca goes in a loose bead, then set and seal. Every 2-3 months the Silca Replenisher goes through the valve with the core removed. I not there yet as these are only a couple of weeks old. I'll update everybody with my experience down the road-Good or Bad!