Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless "BOMB"

Old 08-14-22, 10:24 PM
crklein3 

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Tubeless "BOMB"

In this "explosive" review you will find out how to seat your tubeless without shattering windows
If you've ever mounted a truck tire you know that it can be done by filling with propane and lighting. After a big boom, fire, the neighbors windows rattling, babies crying, your tire is "safely" seated on the rim. You could build one of these from spare parts. For your families sake pay your life insurance first. Or, for a few dollars more you can pick up a high quality, professionally made inflator tank. EZ- inflate to 160psi/11 bar, attach to valve, release the pressure. BANG! tire is seated without all of the fireworks and I still have all of my fingers. I use the Airshot/Schwalbe Tire Booster. Works first time every time, in seconds.

Old 08-15-22, 02:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Amusingly written. I use a $49 pancake style air compressor from Harbor Freight. Plug it in, attach to valve and pop goes the weasel. Takes about 20 seconds.

No babies were harmed or old women scared by the compressor 😇

Old 08-17-22, 10:13 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
ive blown a tire off the rim and showered myself with sealant using 50psi of shop air, so im dubious of this technique
Old 08-17-22, 12:04 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
I bought a Schwalbe air compressor.

Didn't even need it. Mine seat from just pumping normally.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-17-22, 12:46 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Some of us have a lot of hot air. I am one of those. I just put the valve between my teeth and blow really hard. POP! No dubiousness, no crying babies or disturbed retired people.
Old 08-17-22, 06:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
If you are a getting sealant on yourself you have clearly done things wrong. Seat the tire first and make sure it can seat then add sealant then pump or use a compressor. If the tire cannot hold just plain old air on a new tire then you probably don't want to load it with sealant. I teach all my new mechanics and a lot of mechanics who have been doing it a while this exact method and now they don't get all messy and nasty.