Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand cramps

Old 08-16-22, 03:57 PM
Allytech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hand cramps

Hi Guys,

after some years of a bmx break I started riding again. After some hours my hands cramp very painfull and it takes up to two weeks to recover. I think the main problem is my deathgrip but maybe there are some things I can change on my setup to help my hands. I thought about getting thicker grips like the s&m hoder grips which are 31.5mm in diameter. At the moment I have the eclat shogun grips with a diameter of 29.5mm. The different seems pretty small but I didn't find thicker ones. I also thought about trying different bars. At the moment I ride 12 degree backsweep and 2.5 degree upsweep. Maybe more upsweep can help with putting more pressure to my index finger side because it's more severe in my pinky fingers.
Old 08-16-22, 04:24 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Allytech
Hi Guys,

after some years of a bmx break I started riding again. After some hours my hands cramp very painfull and it takes up to two weeks to recover. I think the main problem is my deathgrip but maybe there are some things I can change on my setup to help my hands. I thought about getting thicker grips like the s&m hoder grips which are 31.5mm in diameter. At the moment I have the eclat shogun grips with a diameter of 29.5mm. The different seems pretty small but I didn't find thicker ones. I also thought about trying different bars. At the moment I ride 12 degree backsweep and 2.5 degree upsweep. Maybe more upsweep can help with putting more pressure to my index finger side because it's more severe in my pinky fingers.
With a given set of bars, the best way to deal with this is to constantly change hand positions. Be aware that the shape of drop handlebars ("racing" bars) has evolved over 100 years and so you might want to contemplate that this kind of bar is more what you need for long rides.
Old 08-16-22, 05:23 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 393 Posts
You have 10 posts so post a picture of your set up. Treking bars have maximum position and raising you stem would take some weight off you hands.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-16-22, 09:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Sounds like arthritis to me. What are you riding? Road riding on a flat bar? No reason for a death grip.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-17-22, 12:03 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Allytech
I think the main problem is my deathgrip but maybe there are some things I can change on my setup to help my hands.
I'm assuming you're riding your BMX around pedaling out of the saddle (standing)? I'm also assuming you're using a traditional BMX handlebar?

One thing you can do to reduce the pressure on your arms in that position is rotate the handlebar backward to get the grips closer to you. But not too close your knees are hitting the handlebar. The adjustment will help move your body to the back and reduce pressure on your arms.

I ride a BMX in such handlebar position and I can be pedaling over 5 minutes out of the saddle continuously on a climb. You'll also need to learn how to move your body against the bike forward or backward and typically backward to unload your arms and then be comfortable enough pedaling in that position without straining yourself. That takes time to practice including your pedaling technique.

I prefer rolling hills when riding around with BMX bike. Out of the saddle climbing and then coasting down sat down or standing makes your faster than on flats where it's annoying to stand to pedal with little resistance or try to pedal seated on such a very low seat.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-17-22, 05:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
see your physician. Two weeks is extremely unusual, death grip or not.

Likes For rsbob: