Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When should tires be replaced?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-17-22, 05:56 PM
Vern1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have read a number of articles saying that tires should be replaced either 1. you start to get a lot of flats or 2. after 2-3000 miles

I have a Canyon Pathlite with Maxxis Rambler 700x40 tires running tubeless (1st tubeless tires and really like them). Over the last 3 seasons I have put about 4000 miles on it, 70% paved bike path, 30% trail/gravel/chunky rocks etc. Had 1 flat when the sidewall burped (if thats the right expression) after hitting a few big rocks on a particularly knarly trail in Costa Rica last winter - fun walk home

Am planning to take my bike to Mexico this winter (am based in Toronto) and expect there will be a combo of road and trail but will prefer mostly trail riding.

My tires look ok but should they be replaced at this point due to mileage? On my cars tires there are wear bars but no such thing on bike tires I guess. Since I will be in Mexico for a few months I would prefer to change them before I go if needed

Also any suggestions on other tires? I like to go fast but want puncture resistance and decent traction for the trails (which in Mexico will be 100% dry and I dont do much wet riding here unless Im caught in it)

Besides the Maxxis have seen recos for
Schwalbe G-one Allround
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion
Continental Speedride

Many thanks!!
Old 08-17-22, 06:38 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 393 Posts
I ride roads mostly so unless I am getting flats, or my Continentals or Giant tires wear indicators are worn away or I see cord no worries. On my MTB I have had some big mistake impacts that make me nervous so I check the bead and any cord I can see for any damage.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-17-22, 06:58 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 390 Posts
When all the rubber is wore away and you start seeing the fabric gut of the tire.
Old 08-17-22, 07:14 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
Conti GP5000s have little round depressions for wear indicators. If it was me with that many miles and a trip planned I’d get new tires. Cold up the old ones to take for spare. I’m looking to go tubeless on my Domane. These road wheels. The OEM wheels have 38mm gravel type tires. Set up tubeless. My first time.

Old 08-17-22, 07:31 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dont think the Ramblers have wear bars but maybe will check again

Thanks for the input all but seeing a trend here that its really personal preference vs any particular mileage marker (although not sure i want to run it down to the cords)
Likes For Vern1:
Old 08-17-22, 09:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Vern1

Thanks for the input all but seeing a trend here that its really personal preference vs any particular mileage marker (although not sure i want to run it down to the cords)
Looks like those are knobby off-road tires, so I think it's more a matter of when you feel the tread blocks are worn too small to gain enough traction.
Old 08-18-22, 04:47 AM
gamu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I replace tires when they look like they need to be replaced. I have a set of tires on my spare road wheelset that has maybe 6000 miles and is 15 years old, I throw them on my bike at least once a year and they still stop and corner fine. If I was racing at a competitive level or doing crits or crazy fast descents or something, I might replace tires every 2-3000 miles just as a precaution, but riding for fitness and fun and to get around, I don't think there is any reason not to just go by visual inspection of the tires.
Old 08-18-22, 06:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 587 Posts
For a few months, you say? Yes, either get new tires beforehand and bring them along as spares, or install the new ones and bring the old ones as spares. You don't want to gamble on the availability of replacements in Mexico if you need one on short notice.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-18-22, 07:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Looks like those are knobby off-road tires, so I think it's more a matter of when you feel the tread blocks are worn too small to gain enough traction.
This.

The recommendations O.P. alluded to are more for slick tires than the Maxxis off-road tires.
Old 08-18-22, 01:08 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts

You don't need wear indicators. Continental wear indicators disappear just as you can start to see the cords of the casing through the rubber in the tread. Obviously this is for road tires without knobs. The odds are that with a knobby tire, your handling would be affected as the knobs wore away in the center of the tire. Or maybe the tires would be so old by that point that they would be cracked and crazed.
Old 08-18-22, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
I generally can tell when the tire is getting too bald (threads, change in colors of tread, flat spot, etc).

But, in your case, you're heading off on a big trip.

I'd probably keep the old tires as spares and start off fresh. Even bring a spare with you if you have space.

I haven't tried all the tires on your list. But, I was impressed by a pair of Michelin Protek Cross Max Tires.

I never got a flat with them. Good traction, generally paved (wet, dry, even slushy snow).

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-18-22, 07:38 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 222 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, just buy new tires and take them to Mexico when you go. You can either install them now or save them to use later. Not sure what the bike parts availability are where you are going in Mexico but better to have them with you and not need them than need them and not have them.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 08-19-22, 07:42 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the good advice!

The tires do not look too worn and continue to provide good traction, handling and stopping so technically no need to replace them at this point. However as several have pointed out, I will be gone for 3 months and doubt I will wear them out but could rip a sidewall or something and then may be stuck. Think i will look for new tires before I go and stick the old one in my bike bag for the trip

Will check out the Michelins. Have been pretty impressed by the Ramblers but theres always an urge to try something new!
Old 08-19-22, 04:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Thanks for all the good advice!

The tires do not look too worn and continue to provide good traction, handling and stopping so technically no need to replace them at this point. However as several have pointed out, I will be gone for 3 months and doubt I will wear them out but could rip a sidewall or something and then may be stuck. Think i will look for new tires before I go and stick the old one in my bike bag for the trip

Will check out the Michelins. Have been pretty impressed by the Ramblers but theres always an urge to try something new!
As a replacement for the Ramblers (I have a pair and like them), take a look at the Continental Terra Speed, they come in 35 and 40mm X 700c and also in 650B. I put a set on my wife's gravel bike and they seem to serve her very well and get excellent reviews. They have a cousin with larger knobs called the Terra Trail. Another of the same type are the Michelin Power and Vittoria Terreno. Finally, I rode Donnelly XPlor MSO which i used fo many years mixed pavement, gravel, single track. Great tires.

I looked at all those tires when I went to replace my Donnellys, not because I didn't like the Donnellys, but because I wanted to try something new. All of the above get good reviews for the type of riding I do and pretty close to each other in the rolling resistance tests. None of them are rated super-duper in mud, because they don't have large lugs. If you want good mud-shedding, you need large lugs with spaces between, which of course don't roll as nice for more general gravel/pavement/smooth single track. I bought the Maxxis Ramblers because I found some on sale and didn't think any of the others - without actually trying them! - would necessarily be better than any other for what I do.

PS: when I travel with my bikes, I always bring a spare tire. I have some old/spares/not quite worn tires in the garage and just throw one or two of those in.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-19-22 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 07:35 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I replace my tire when I look at the tire and the tire looks back at me.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-19-22, 11:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
Myself being cheap, and good tires being expensive, I would change them when the tread wore to the point I could see the casing threads, or about 1500 miles.
Old 08-20-22, 06:16 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
As a replacement for the Ramblers (I have a pair and like them), take a look at the Continental Terra Speed, they come in 35 and 40mm X 700c and also in 650B. I put a set on my wife's gravel bike and they seem to serve her very well and get excellent reviews. They have a cousin with larger knobs called the Terra Trail. Another of the same type are the Michelin Power and Vittoria Terreno. Finally, I rode Donnelly XPlor MSO which i used fo many years mixed pavement, gravel, single track. Great tires.

I looked at all those tires when I went to replace my Donnellys, not because I didn't like the Donnellys, but because I wanted to try something new. All of the above get good reviews for the type of riding I do and pretty close to each other in the rolling resistance tests. None of them are rated super-duper in mud, because they don't have large lugs. If you want good mud-shedding, you need large lugs with spaces between, which of course don't roll as nice for more general gravel/pavement/smooth single track. I bought the Maxxis Ramblers because I found some on sale and didn't think any of the others - without actually trying them! - would necessarily be better than any other for what I do.

PS: when I travel with my bikes, I always bring a spare tire. I have some old/spares/not quite worn tires in the garage and just throw one or two of those in.
Thanks, good advice as well.When I went back and really checked my tires the rear was significantly more worn than the front and the centre nubs are worn right down so new tires will be ordered

Also thanks for the tire suggestions so now I have a lot of reading up to do. Donnellys look good.I am sure they are all good tires and will be hard to go wrong with any of them. I do want a good rolling tire as most of my riding is pavement or hardpack. Don't need mud capabilities as don't hit the trails in the rain here and Mexico will be bone dry. Will take my spare front tire as well if I go with the Ramblers, prob doesn't make sense if I go with another brand

Cheers
Old 08-20-22, 06:18 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Myself being cheap, and good tires being expensive, I would change them when the tread wore to the point I could see the casing threads, or about 1500 miles.
So youde replace at 1500 miles regardless of wear?
Old 08-20-22, 09:05 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Obviously depends on your power output and road conditions, but I get nearly 4,000 miles out of a Continental GP 5000 at my 175 lb rider weight.
Old 08-23-22, 09:58 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
If my tires last that long, I will replace them when the cords start to show. Usually though I ride over glass or experience some sort of puncture that the sealant or the plugs won't seal before then. I am usually replacing my tyres around the 6,000 to 8,000km mark.
Old 08-23-22, 11:24 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
If I were planning any sort of trip, I would buy new and put a few miles on then to make sure all is well, but for local rides I tend to let flatting be my guide. Years ago, I used to run Spesh Armadillo 23s and ride them until I got blow outs from exposed tubes, but when I was nudged to shift to Contis or Michelins, I found that getting repeated flats was the signal to replace.

scott s.
Old 08-24-22, 07:29 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 239 Posts
My last set of Schwalbe Marathons lasted over 8000km, and would have lasted even longer if I hadn't been forced onto my trainer for a month of riding thanks to the COVID lockdown here in Shanghai this spring. Only replaced them because they'd worn down to the threads. My new set of Schwalbe Marathons that I installed in June now has more than 3000km on it and they still look good as new, so they won't need to be changed any time soon.
Old 08-24-22, 08:19 PM
kfried

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I got almost the same as post further up the thread.. 170 lbs on Conti GP5Ks, and I just changed mine at 3,200 miles. The wear indicators were still visible, so I could have stretched them further, but I have some bigger rides coming up. Wanted to change them out now rather then being sorry later.
Old 08-25-22, 02:38 AM
futtockpaintbal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gamu
I replace tires when they look like they need to be replaced. I have a set of tires on my spare road wheelset that has maybe 6000 miles and is 15 years old, I throw them on my bike at least once a year and they still stop and corner fine. If I was racing at a competitive level or doing crits or crazy fast descents or something, I might replace tires every 2-3000 miles just as a precaution, but riding for fitness and fun and to get around, I don't think there is any reason not to just go by visual inspection of the tires.
Same
Likes For futtockpaintbal:
Old 08-26-22, 02:47 AM
Timothyevans

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually do this when the wires are already visible.
This for me is a sign as soon as I change the tire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.