Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Anybody still rocking Flight Deck?

Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Anybody still rocking Flight Deck?

Old 06-03-21, 08:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Moved to Brifters from C and V
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-07-21, 08:20 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Earlier this year, my 20-year-old Flight Deck stopped working. I replace the batteries and verified the magnet's position. It would read speed up to about 5 MPH then go to zero. It would indicate shifts and gear combinations normally. On a 35-mile loop I ride regularly, I would see one or two miles on the trip distance function. I was pretty much convinced the sender was bad, but couldn't find a replacement. I have been thinking about finally saying "goodbye" to the system. I downloaded a phone app ("Ride with GPS") which looked interesting.
Yesterday in the late afternoon I went out for a ride. The Flight Deck was misbehaving as usual. At some point, I looked at the odometer function, and noticed that the total mileage was changing even though trip distance was not. Then things got *really* strange. It got dark enough for me to turn on my headlight (Light & Motion "Seca 800"). As soon as I turned it on, the Flight Deck came to life! The light head and computer are about 5" apart, and have worked well together in the past (I know that LED lights generate electrical interference that can interfere with wireless computers; this had not happened previously). So it appears that the light now serves as a "pacemaker" or "defibrillator" for the Flight Deck!
Fortunately, the phone app worked well. So, for now anyway, I can still keep stats on my rides, while viewing the gear combination. Plus I now can see elevation gain. It's just a little Rube Goldberg-ish.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 06-11-21, 02:10 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Earlier this year, my 20-year-old Flight Deck stopped working. I replace the batteries and verified the magnet's position. It would read speed up to about 5 MPH then go to zero. It would indicate shifts and gear combinations normally. On a 35-mile loop I ride regularly, I would see one or two miles on the trip distance function. I was pretty much convinced the sender was bad, but couldn't find a replacement. I have been thinking about finally saying "goodbye" to the system. I downloaded a phone app ("Ride with GPS") which looked interesting.
Yesterday in the late afternoon I went out for a ride. The Flight Deck was misbehaving as usual. At some point, I looked at the odometer function, and noticed that the total mileage was changing even though trip distance was not. Then things got *really* strange. It got dark enough for me to turn on my headlight (Light & Motion "Seca 800"). As soon as I turned it on, the Flight Deck came to life! The light head and computer are about 5" apart, and have worked well together in the past (I know that LED lights generate electrical interference that can interfere with wireless computers; this had not happened previously). So it appears that the light now serves as a "pacemaker" or "defibrillator" for the Flight Deck!
Fortunately, the phone app worked well. So, for now anyway, I can still keep stats on my rides, while viewing the gear combination. Plus I now can see elevation gain. It's just a little Rube Goldberg-ish.
Funny, mine is like this too. Some of the data functions well. But the trip distance & ride time date keeps resetting itself. I purchased a new set of genuine Shimano Dura Ace 7800 hoods since the rubber compound in the "Hudz" hoods is such that cracks develop if the hood is peeled back to access the Flight Deck wiring harness. I'm curious if the nubs on the underside of the Hudz hoods are different in a way that accounts for the frequent starting and stopping of the trip distance and time.
Old 10-20-21, 05:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have a 9-speed one on our tandem, really like it. Lots better than asking Stoker what gear I'm in. Irrelevant on a single, I think. Rear gear choice is not as big a deal with half the weight to move and I can see the rings. I did have the change the left brifter to 10-speed, so I lost the front reading. I have a 10-speed unit but haven't hooked it up yet.
Old 03-12-22, 05:52 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 Lemond with Flight Deck and 5600 brifters. Found the manual on line and set it up for the current cassette. Haven't ridden it yet but looking forward to it; looks like a cool bit of kit.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 03-12-22, 06:43 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I’m currently still sitting on both my Flight Deck bikes being in various stages of crap operation. I attribute it to my own poor set up and maintenance practices. I just seem too busy these days to follow up on all the tiny details so I fail to replace batteries and get clueless when I replace hoods with aftermarket ones that make the buttons wonky….

With this said, I do hold out that Flight Deck set-up will undergo a golden age of renewed appreciation and that some very patient person will publish an accessible user guide in the vein of the old Compleat Idiot’s Guide To Volkswagen Maintenance or one of Leonard Zinn’s bike maintenance books.

Having a accurate gear indicator that stays spot on and permits me to just set it on the cadence screen is such a powerful training tool for me. Unfortunately both mine are “auto-scrolling” through menus, stopping themselves with no input from me, re-setting to zero with no input from me, etc… so as you can tell, at this time I am Flight Deck nostalgic mostly and basically only able to reliably compare my trip and total mileage to GPS Strava measurements.
Old 08-21-22, 08:14 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
I've got about 100 miles on my Flight Deck (SC-6502) and my sole complaint is that it's too easy to accidentally hit the reset button on the left brifter, canceling out trip and time data.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-21-22, 11:26 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
I've got about 100 miles on my Flight Deck (SC-6502) and my sole complaint is that it's too easy to accidentally hit the reset button on the left brifter, canceling out trip and time data.

Get rid of that L thumb.
Just sayin’
Old 08-30-22, 04:04 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
New (used) bike day, found on FB marketplace $850.

2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Ultegra 6400 all around, Ksyrium SL wheels.

Fully functional FlightDeck, Campy pedals, some vintage collector items.

In the process of re-routing the FlightDeck wiring & new bar tape.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-30-22 at 05:40 PM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-31-22, 05:49 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
I'd love to have one for my Trek, but no idea what unit I would need for my 3x9 105 setup. Anyone confirm the model number I should look for?
Old 01-23-23, 10:53 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
I'm still addicted to the gear indicator on my two Flight Deck bikes. On both bikes the speed and distance functions have become flaky, so I picked up a Garmin Edge 530 with two 1/4 turn mounts to fill in the gaps.
Likes For Keefusb:
Old 03-05-24, 03:45 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 251 Posts
My memory could be off, but the title of this thread made me think of a bracket that mounted in place of the front bridge on early Scott clip-on aero bars, allowing one to mount both down-tube shifters there, for shifting without moving off the aeros. I thought that was called Flight Deck. But I could be wrong. Later tri bikes just mounted bar-ends on the end of individual aero bars, but the lever angle isn't as good.
Old 03-05-24, 01:09 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
My memory could be off, but the title of this thread made me think of a bracket that mounted in place of the front bridge on early Scott clip-on aero bars, allowing one to mount both down-tube shifters there, for shifting without moving off the aeros. I thought that was called Flight Deck. But I could be wrong. Later tri bikes just mounted bar-ends on the end of individual aero bars, but the lever angle isn't as good.
The bracket for shifters were called Flite Control by Scott, and a similar mount by Profile was called SwiftShift.
Old 03-05-24, 11:50 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
The bracket for shifters were called Flite Control by Scott, and a similar mount by Profile was called SwiftShift.
Thank you! Y'know, I tried a later search of Flight Control and other flight related terms but turned up nothing. Searching now with "correct" spelling and it turned up some on ebay. Profile swiftshift: I see a NOS kit on ebay, that explains what that hole on the front of my Century bars is for! Have wondered about that for years!

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-05-24 at 11:54 PM.