Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Alex Singer Cycles and culture

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Alex Singer Cycles and culture

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-22, 07:05 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
I had enough time for a quick ride this morning before starting the weekend stuff. I will be heading out tomorrow for work, but wanted to get in a few miles.

What would that be worth without pics?

Taken at the Lafayette Escadrille Memorial and Cemetery, remains of the fallen Americans who were the first combat pilots in France in WWI are interred in the crypt below the monument. A fitting place to visit the day before Memorial Day.

This is the spot in Versailles where I had my negligent spontaneous sudden stop in 2020.

The Pershing/Lafayette memorial just outside Versailles. Even Pershing salutes a Singer.

Cool spot in the Bois de Boulogne.

Bagatelle park gates in the Bois, a small park full of carefully groomed plantings and flowers.
Old 05-28-22, 08:33 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Originally Posted by bbbob
If you haven't already, take a roll out to the Parc de St. Cloud and see the Grande Cascade, just a little further SW from your ride above. While not on the "B" list,
in the spring/summer there's a seasonal cafe at the base of the cascade serving salty fatty snacks and Kir. The Parc is huge with many paths all sans cars.
You very well may run into more chrome under veteran rollers out there...In addition, although it involves traversing the city, surface or metro, the bois de Vincennes
is another lovely large bikable Parc that is home to the velodrome. Though few were made, AS made track bikes too, Olivier used to have one he bought from a client, maybe he still has it ?
Thanks Bob, I do know the Parc de St Cloud and have been there several times. Never tried the cafe though, maybe next ride! I don't much care for the insane road nest at the far side of the bridge there, but recently a friend showed me the trick to navigating that without playing Frogger across lanes of the weekend speedsters. I haven't been to Vincennes but know there's a way to get there via the bike path mostly. I'll add that to the lsit, but admittedly my first order of business on most rides is getting out of the city, not further in! As I live on the western edge in Neuilly sur Seine, that generally means Versailles and towards Rambouillet or St Germain if I feel up to the super confusing roads there.

I'm very excited to get back to fitness and get this thing out into its native environment on the tiny farm roads far from cities in the pre-dawn gloom. I want to see that spear of light from the Edelux punching its way onto the road in the Vosges and the Pyrenees. For now it's base work and then stretching and ice, but I can dream big.

I'll have to ask Olivier about the track bike... and look up how to say that in French.

Last edited by poprad; 05-28-22 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For poprad:
Old 05-28-22, 09:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
This thread is kind of addictive and incredibly enabling.... Thanks!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-29-22, 08:57 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Lafayette wanted to be buried in American soil, and indeed he was. An American flag waves over his grave. And during the Nazi occupation of Paris, the caretakers of his grave flew the American flag! Many thanks to Lafayette.
Likes For santa fe 2926:
Old 06-03-22, 01:44 PM
poprad

Update: with Olivier's blessing Jen Green is working her magic

Old 06-03-22, 09:57 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
Very nice!
Cloisonne infill next?
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-03-22, 11:38 PM
poprad

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Very nice!
Cloisonne infill next?
Brent
It's quite literally up to her. I can't wait to see what she decides.
Old 06-12-22, 05:47 AM
poprad

Just because I can't stop taking photos of this bike:

View of Paris from St Germain, the Eiffel Tower is the tiny stick behind the hill on the right.

Jean De La Fontaine approves
Old 06-12-22, 05:57 AM
poprad

And in case anyone is interested in the fox/crow thing:
The great fable is all about vanity and how important it is to not be obsessed with your looks and yourself. A raven is perched in a tree and holds a delicious and giant cheese in his mouth that he will soon enjoy. A fox passes by and starts telling the raven how beautiful he is, how incredible his voice is and how he is the most majestic creature in all the forest. The raven opens his mouth to sing to the nice fox but drops the cheese. The fox catches the delicious cheese and warns the raven that if you say what the person wants to hear then you’ll probably get what you want from them.

Not so bike but very classic.
Old 06-12-22, 09:26 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Looks like some morning mileage.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-12-22, 10:25 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by repechage
Looks like some morning mileage.
Indeed. We're getting into high summer here and the sun is up by 5:30. I took the one shot at St Germain directly into the sun and it turned out one of the best of this bike. Iphones make photo experts of us all.
Old 06-12-22, 12:22 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
Update: with Olivier's blessing Jen Green is working her magic

impressive!
Is that all hand work, or cut with a laser or plasma cutter?
Will it be a small bit of art for the desktop, or is it destined to be used as a headbadge? I'm voting for "headbadge"!

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-12-22, 10:37 PM
poprad

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
impressive!
Is that all hand work, or cut with a laser or plasma cutter?
Will it be a small bit of art for the desktop, or is it destined to be used as a headbadge? I'm voting for "headbadge"!

Steve in Peoria
All hand work, Jen is an artisan and I think the satisfaction she gets is thorugh creating these things without using modern automated equipment. If you haven't checked out her stuff it's worth a look, but be warned; you will want one.

Revolution Cycle

The one she's making will adorn my Singer, that is without question.
Likes For poprad:
Old 06-17-22, 05:24 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
Meanwhile on the other side of the Atlantic, another fabulous day spent on a Singer ( my bike was made maybe 4-5 before Mark’s)…

Old 06-17-22, 10:30 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by El Chaba
Meanwhile on the other side of the Atlantic, another fabulous day spent on a Singer ( my bike was made maybe 4-5 before Mark’s)…

You ran across my totem animal for cycling. "Start slow and then taper off" that's my motto....

Lovely bike, thanks for posting
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-23-22, 08:13 AM
poprad

Headbadge arrived

So, I finally found a time when I could link up with Olivier at the shop. He was very pleased with Jen's craftsmanship and quality of materials. If not I would've had a nice desk ornament but I wouldn't have put it on his bike. He was proud to install it, and we also watched the end of the Pyrenees stage together. He hooted loudly while Pinot was still in the lead group and acted crestfallen when he finally cracked on the Hautecam. Watching a stage of the TdF with Olivier in his shop office; that's a memory I will cherish forever.

My bike, headbadge just installed

A pleased Olivier

I endorse Jen's work without reservation. She's a class act and her artistry is top notch.
Old 07-23-22, 08:18 AM
poprad

A trip to Alex Singer wouldn't be complete without a few shots of tools and the like:

Drillpress from an era of solid materials and solider men

Another shot of the lead sheets covering the vice jaws; he uses this as a frame holder when he's building.
Old 07-23-22, 08:20 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
How do you like the generator?
Old 07-23-22, 08:23 AM
poprad

And finally, yet another super cool old steed in for minor tweaks and repairs. This one is ridden daily. A Jaques Anquetil (known for asking for a woman and champagne after each stage mid-tour) with Shimano Arabesque. Lovely in its patina of decades of hard use and accumulated grime. I would dearly love to strip this down and clean every bit, then carefully reassemble it keeping every scratch and rub mark intact. Sadly, not my role here.

Old 07-23-22, 08:23 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
This is beautiful Poprad...well done.
Old 07-23-22, 08:24 AM
poprad

I have to admit I haven't gotten up early enough to try it yet. The sun's up at 5:30 these days in Paris, so....
Old 07-23-22, 08:28 AM
poprad

A couple more of the JA:

Love, love, LOVE the hand done line work

I don't know if Shimano made these cranks or if this was a mod, but it's cool AF
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-23-22, 08:28 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This is beautiful Poprad...well done.
Thanks, I've been very lucky to have this chance to make such a connection
Old 07-23-22, 08:34 AM
poprad

For those fond of history (so yeah, basically all of you):

https://erenow.net/biographies/sex-l...ar-tape/20.php
Old 07-23-22, 11:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
For some reason I had never seen your Flickr site, now it's on my "follow". Such wonderful pictures, and knowing you spent some time in Portlandia years ago makes me happy.

On a business trip many years ago to Aix-en-Provence (did you know they make semiconductors near there?) I had some time to visit Cézanne's atelier. I knew then that I wanted a place to tinker and make things, just didn't know what I'd be doing there. Fast forward to today, looking at the Atelier, wondering when I'll ever take the time to clean up the chaotic mess it's in...but seeing Alex's shop, perhaps it's supposed to be that way?

The personal connection with the framebuilder, riding in an intimate club of fellow riders with a common amour du vélo is a special thing. Switching to Italian, it's cosa nostra, something outsiders wouldn't understand.

I dream of retirement and having the time to be a cyclotourist exploring Europe on a classic randonneuse. On a day that I'm recovering from a mild bout of COVID my adrenal glands are kicking in from reading your thread. Thank you for that.

Oh, and that cream colored Singer that @northbend posted earlier? When I first saw it several years ago I told Matt that if he ever was wanting to sell it to keep me in mind. Several weeks ago he emailed me and told me it was time for someone else to be the caretaker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.