Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Alex Singer Cycles and culture

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Alex Singer Cycles and culture

Old 07-23-22, 11:53 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments, I too dream of a retirement that allows me to actually ride the French countryside. The realities of a (more than) full time job definitely aren't reflected in this thread. Like FakeBook it makes it seem like I just hang out in cool bike shops and meet super interesting folks. I do get to do that, and pursue other things like my interest in history, but the reality of the 9-5 in an urban setting makes those activities rare indeed. I wouldn't want folks to think I'm living in some cyclist idyll of lazy days cycling the Champs Elysee every afternoon. Someday though... I will definitely be in a situation that allows for daily training rides and working towards big goals like the PBP. For now it's weekend rides and dreaming, slowly rehabbing my knee and taking advantage of the unique and awesome opportunities that are here.

I think you're right about the shop thing and the more intense the artist the messier the shop. Don't let the appearance fool you though, he knows exactly where every tool is and it's usually within arm's reach of whatever he's set up that area to do. That place is a very refined set of workstations, a fact it took me time and observation to appreciate being an inveterate tool returner myself. My shops are always set up with an anal retentive expectation that every tool will be in the exact place I expect it to be. I think that's the true sign of an avid hobbyist who isn't making a living from his craft. I can lavish that sort of time and attention on my setup because it's for the pleasure of being in that space only.

And yes, i have a strong Oregon connection. I lived there thanks to a work assignment for three years, and my in laws live in Eugene. Despite being born in Pa I view Oregon and the mountainous West in general as my real home.

How about a thread of pics dedicated to that cream colored wonder?

Good luck with the recovery, I hope you're on the mend and back in the saddle quickly!
Old 07-23-22, 12:02 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
For some reason I had never seen your Flickr site, now it's on my "follow". Such wonderful pictures, and knowing you spent some time in Portlandia years ago makes me happy.

On a business trip many years ago to Aix-en-Provence (did you know they make semiconductors near there?) I had some time to visit Cézanne's atelier. I knew then that I wanted a place to tinker and make things, just didn't know what I'd be doing there. Fast forward to today, looking at the Atelier, wondering when I'll ever take the time to clean up the chaotic mess it's in...but seeing Alex's shop, perhaps it's supposed to be that way?

The personal connection with the framebuilder, riding in an intimate club of fellow riders with a common amour du vélo is a special thing. Switching to Italian, it's cosa nostra, something outsiders wouldn't understand.

I dream of retirement and having the time to be a cyclotourist exploring Europe on a classic randonneuse. On a day that I'm recovering from a mild bout of COVID my adrenal glands are kicking in from reading your thread. Thank you for that.

Oh, and that cream colored Singer that @northbend posted earlier? When I first saw it several years ago I told Matt that if he ever was wanting to sell it to keep me in mind. Several weeks ago he emailed me and told me it was time for someone else to be the caretaker.

More photos and impressions will be needed re this machine….
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 07-23-22, 12:51 PM
Ago15

Bikes: Only bespoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 35 Posts

Last edited by Ago15; 08-24-22 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For Ago15:
Old 07-23-22, 12:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chaba
More photos and impressions will be needed re this machine….
My pix
Matt's pix (better, more plentiful)
Impressions by @Soup_Please
Old 07-23-22, 01:40 PM
El Chaba

My pix
I have written this before and it is an impression that is regularly reinforced….It amazes me how many of these bikes are ridden and enjoyed by their original owner and then pass on to subsequent owners who also cherish them and put them into service for a completely new life. I think it’s a great thing in a throwaway society and in a sport with product life cycles of a couple of years or so…
Old 07-23-22, 03:11 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

My pix
Thanks for posting, the pics are great! If you want info on the frame (original build date, first owner, etc) send me the serial #. Should be on the left dropout and fork tip. I can ask Olivier and he'll look it up, all the serials are recorded in appropriately aged binders filled with the names of all those who realized the cycling magic that comes out of Levallois.
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-23-22, 03:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by poprad
Thanks for posting, the pics are great! If you want info on the frame (original build date, first owner, etc) send me the serial #. Should be on the left dropout and fork tip. I can ask Olivier and he'll look it up, all the serials are recorded in appropriately aged binders filled with the names of all those who realized the cycling magic that comes out of Levallois.
Thanks, I'll do that when I get a chance. Matt purchased it from the original owner, I believe, and has that info, but it's always good to know more about the provenance.
Old 07-23-22, 03:48 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,065 Posts
Thanks, I'll do that when I get a chance. Matt purchased it from the original owner, I believe, and has that info, but it's always good to know more about the provenance.
Congrats on a fantastic score.

The horizontal dropouts make me think it may be one that Spence Wolf brought in. Though if it was purchased in Canada, maybe not.
I think I have heard that Cupertino Bike Shop still has the sales records, so you could try them with the serial number.

Would you call this bike a sportif?

Mark B
Old 07-23-22, 03:50 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 664 Posts
Here is a photo of the serial stamped on the dropout:
Serial Number by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Guys,
I purchased the bike from it's second owner, Douglas Brooks from New York.
He bought it from the original owners family in Canada. Toronto I think.
I asked Jan Heine about the serial number years ago. He approximated the age (circa 1974) and stated it was likely one of a multi frame order from Bloor Cycles.
- Matt
Likes For northbend:
Old 07-23-22, 04:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bulgie
Congrats on a fantastic score.
Would you call this bike a sportif?
Mark B
I'd call it a bad a$$ bike.
Old 07-23-22, 05:14 PM
El Chaba

Since the subject has come up, here are a few detail shots. Olivier is so good at working out the details, that even somebody like me who suffers from OCD about such things can just mention what one wants in the most general way and then get out of the magician’s way to work his magic.
This seat cluster style has been in use for a LONG time…

Small cable eye for the rear brake cable on the bottom of the top tube….

Front view of “ Alex Singer” handlebar bag and the small mount for attaching a handlebar mount style battery powered headlight…

View of Olivier’s work on stem, head lugs,etc. and rear view of the Berthoud “ Alex Singer” handlebar bag….

Pump peg and view of rear centerpull brake attachment…

The stay ends have also been the same style since forever….

View of small front rack and other details without the obstruction of the front bag…
Old 07-24-22, 06:53 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 60 Posts
And that’s a pretty nice Reynolds 531 professional Peugeot next to Anquetil.
Likes For santa fe 2926:
Old 07-25-22, 03:04 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by northbend
Guys,
I asked Jan Heine about the serial number years ago. He approximated the age (circa 1974) and stated it was likely one of a multi frame order from Bloor Cycles.
- Matt

I've sent Olivier a request to look up the serial #, we will see what the Master Records reveal.
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-25-22, 03:06 AM
poprad

Since the subject has come up, here are a few detail shots. Olivier is so good at working out the details, that even somebody like me who suffers from OCD about such things can just mention what one wants in the most general way and then get out of the magician’s way to work his magic.
I can't get too many pics of this bike, thanks for posting again! When did you take delivery? I swear I recall seeing this in his shop...
Old 07-25-22, 03:10 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
And that’s a pretty nice Reynolds 531 professional Peugeot next to Anquetil.
Yeah, I have to control myself when I go there and only pick out one bike to shoot per visit. If I started down that slope I'd be there forever...

But that was a cool Pew Goat.
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-25-22, 08:56 AM
El Chaba

I can't get too many pics of this bike, thanks for posting again! When did you take delivery? I swear I recall seeing this in his shop...
The bike arrived on Christmas Eve of 2021, but it was completed perhaps a month before as there were shipping issues to resolve. The whole issue of international shipping-or travel- in the Covid era seems to have been turned on it’s ear.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 07-25-22, 09:16 AM
poprad

The bike arrived on Christmas Eve of 2021, but it was completed perhaps a month before as there were shipping issues to resolve. The whole issue of international shipping-or travel- in the Covid era seems to have been turned on it’s ear.
Ah OK, then indeed I may have run across it before. I didn't go by there much during COVID and I had my accident in Aug 2020, which really limited my get around ability, but I stopped in now and then. Beautiful machine you have there sir.
Old 07-31-22, 09:24 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by northbend
Guys,
- Matt
Quite correct, from Olivier:
Good evening Marc,

This frame was made with a series of 7 others identical to the
Canada. That’s why they’re numbered that way.
So there are only frames on the invoice and there is no sheet
specific control.

That’s all I can say.

Olivier
Likes For poprad:
Old 07-31-22, 01:34 PM
Ago15

Last edited by Ago15; 08-24-22 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For Ago15:
Old 07-31-22, 07:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Seriously, Christmas Eve?

How Efn cool is that?

My only child was born on Christmas, the only and way cooler thing than a Singer showing up.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-31-22, 07:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Ago15
During the month of August I will spend some days of vacations with Olivier CSUKA and Jean Paul Routens.
I think that these names speak to you...
I will publish some pictures of all of us together...
So long as you start a new thread, that would be fine.

Hopefully it will be as cool, entertaining and fascinating as this one is.
Old 08-01-22, 06:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Ago15
During the month of August I will spend some days of vacations with Olivier CSUKA and Jean Paul Routens.
I think that these names speak to you...
I will publish some pictures of all of us together...
is not August the typical month that the Singer shop windows are soaped up during vacation?

catch up with the players while away from work?
Old 08-01-22, 06:40 AM
poprad

Originally Posted by repechage
is not August the typical month that the Singer shop windows are soaped up during vacation?

catch up with the players while away from work?
Clearly Ago15 is planning to be in the Alps with the crew. I can confrim that Paris is, indeed, generally closed for the month as the lunch at work options have dwindled. On the upside the COVID tube of my morning transit is less thickly crowded.
Old 08-01-22, 06:48 AM
Ago15

Last edited by Ago15; 08-24-22 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For Ago15:
Old 08-01-22, 06:51 AM
poprad

You have my jealousy sir.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.