Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifting gears issue

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifting gears issue

Old 01-27-23, 07:30 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Shifting gears issue

Hi all,

I ride a Giant TCR pro disk 1 with a Shimano Ultegra gear system.

Today, regards the rear derailer, when I try to change gears nothing happens the first time and I have to click it again to get the gears to shift. Both up and down and not the same gear each time.

At times during my 45 minutes ride home it would work as usual, going up and down through the gears ok. Next time and it would get stuck on a gear and I’d have to press the shifter once or more times to get it to shift.

I’m planning to get it looked at in the local giant store over the weekend, but have a couple of longish rides for Monday and Tuesday and would like to get it sorted before then.

If the store can’t take a look is there any simple tricks I can try at home? Bear in mind my mechanical know how is quite limited. Also does this sound like a common problem and what is it?

I’ve attached a couple of pics in case there’s something obvious I’m not seeing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-23, 07:42 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Probably time to change cables
Old 01-27-23, 08:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
The cable housing looks to be in poor condition. Disconnect the cable from the derailleur and check the housing ends and ferrules. Plastic ferrules can crack, and housing ends can splay; both issues will degrade shifting. Be sure to check all the housing, not just the piece going to the derailleur. If you find damage, trim or replace the housing, and replace the ferrules, if cracked. Get metal ferrules, if possible. Check that the cable can move smoothly through the housing.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-27-23, 08:47 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Agree with everything already mentioned but before doing anymore shifting check if the cable is fraying near the cable end. You can do this by shifting into the smallest cog while pulling on the cable itself, apply the brake so you can see where the cable goes into the shift lever mechanism and look for frayed strands. If they are frayed, continued shifting can result in a jammed cable which can be a real PITA to remove or worse, a broken piece of cable can work its way into the shifter gear and break something.
Old 01-27-23, 09:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Agree whole heartedly that the description mimics what a cable friction issue causes. BTW given the road rash on the der I would also do a hanger alignment check too. Andy
Old 01-27-23, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Do you have bare cable running down the outside of the down tube? If it gets very slack, even just briefly when you shift the small paddle, the it will indicate some binding in the cable between it and the DR. If it doesn't immediately move when you shift the small paddle, then there might be binding somewhere between it and the shifter. Maybe a frayed cable inside the shifter.

If you have slack in the cable when you are in the 11 tooth cog, then you need to take up that slack with the barrel adjuster or reposition the cable in the pinch bolt.

And if your bike won't shift to all the gear combinations, then seriously, get it fixed. I can't believe how many people will tell me their bike shifts perfectly, then later in the conversation they'll admit they can't get into the very high or low gears. Duh!
Old 01-27-23, 11:30 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Not probably. Look at the last picture - you can see the rust on the casing metal. Total cable & casing replacement if the OP wants things to work right.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-27-23, 01:13 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks all, excellent advice. I feared it may be the case the cable/housing simply needs replacing and trouble shooting it at home appears beyond me.

Two further questions:

1) Big job and is the store likely to be able to sort in a day?
2) Given the problem only just became noticeable, is it likely to fail further in three approx. 50km rides on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday? What’s worse case scenario, just stuck in one gear?

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-23, 01:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Worst case scenario is that the cable breaks at the shifter and is impossible to remove
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-27-23, 02:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Replacing cables is a job everyone should be able to do on their own. If you have to take it to a shop, they can probably have the job completed by the time you go grab yourself a cup of coffee.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-27-23, 02:22 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Sounds like the cable is fraying at the shifter end and doesn't the cable housing look funny? It look like brake housing with coiled shell as opposed to shifter which are linear. A shop should be able to change it out in an hour or so. It take me normally around an hour to do mine including fishing out frayed cable bits and new bar tape or about half an hour for just cable replacement (including fishing out frayed bit but reusing existing housing and tape, my semi-annual routine).

Hope the route is flat because when it brakes, you'll be stuck on the smallest cog unless you carry the right allen key to move the limits.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 01-27-23, 02:30 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
doesn't the cable housing look funny? It look like brake housing with coiled shell as opposed to shifter which are linear.
I thought the same thing, but I'm not even sure compressionless cable can make that tight a bend.
Old 01-27-23, 05:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Shimano has offered precut housing, for the last loop to the der from a CS stop, that used brake casing windings. Although the stuff I've seen has been less then 4mm OD IIRC. I also suspect the shown casing is not SIS spec. Andy
Old 01-27-23, 05:53 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
dude.. you NEED A NEW CABLE AND CASING.. that is the Obvious thing... and i'd bet that the rest of the cables/casing are in similar Bad condition. Change them or risk injury.. your choice.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 01-27-23, 06:00 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Thanks all, excellent advice. I feared it may be the case the cable/housing simply needs replacing and trouble shooting it at home appears beyond me.

Two further questions:

1) Big job and is the store likely to be able to sort in a day?
2) Given the problem only just became noticeable, is it likely to fail further in three approx. 50km rides on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday? What’s worse case scenario, just stuck in one gear?

Thanks again!
Worst case? the cable breaks as you are in Climb mode and suddenly it shifts into high gear... OUCH! And you COULD CRASH from the sudden near Stoppage of the Cranks.... and, as i said elsewhere, the OTHER CABLES may be near failure too.. ever lost your brakes on a steep downhill? It SUCKS. and HURTS. fix it or be hurt.. your choice. and getting the remainder of a Broken/Frayed shift cable out of a brifter is a real Hassle... Replacing cables/casings is Standard Maintenance.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 01-27-23, 06:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Shimano has offered precut housing, for the last loop to the der from a CS stop, that used brake casing windings. Although the stuff I've seen has been less then 4mm OD IIRC. I also suspect the shown casing is not SIS spec. Andy
Yes, needed for Shadow RDs, i.e., RD-R7000, RD-R8000, RD-R9100: SHIMANO Shift Cable Housing for Rear Derailleur | SHIMANO BIKE-EU

Link to buy one (plus shipping): Shimano OT-RS900 Rear Derailleur Shift Cable Housing Excel Sports | Shop Online From Boulder Colorado

Link to buy ten (free shipping): Shimano OT-RS900 Derailleur Cable Housing 10 pieces of 240mm Black (northwestbicycle.com
Old 01-27-23, 06:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Definitely time to change cables.
Old 01-27-23, 07:38 PM
kcjc

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Interesting. I forgot the older SIS stuff I used back in the 80s until after reading your response and Google it. Didn't know that stuff is still around and being used on indexed shifting. I seen to remember linear was a must when I moved to DA 7400 and Chorus back in the late 80s.
Old 01-27-23, 07:48 PM
kcjc

Thanks. Good to know as I haven't needed to service my R9100 equipped bike yet. Not happy needing to stock another cable type.
Old 02-02-23, 07:02 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Change cables and housings.