Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift update 1.33 - controllable resistance not working (ERG and grade sim)

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 08:33 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

Hey everyone - my Zwift updated this morning to the latest software. Looks like we're getting a new Scotland world plus some other upgrades.

That sounds cool and all, but the new update seems to have broken my ANT+ connection to my Wahoo Kickr, which has worked fine for 2+ years. The software will connect to the Kickr as a controllable, but doesn't change resistance. ERG mode doesn't work, and there's no grade simulation.

I am running Zwift on Mac OS.
Power meter: External - Stages Power Meter (ANT+ and BT)
Cadence: Stages Power Meter (ANT+ and BT)
Controllable trainer: Wahoo Kickr Snap (ANT+ and BT)
HR strap: Garmin (ANT+ only)

I typically connect everything through ANT+ using a wireless dongle in a USB port. I tried switching to Bluetooth connections, using the companion app - same problem. I power cycled the trainer, and my laptop several times, the problem still persists. Everything shows as connected properly in the software. I never use the Wahoo App, but I tried opening that and it seems to connect to the trainer (BT connection) and resistance control works fine, so this seems like a Zwift problem.

I've uninstalled and am now re-installing Zwift on my mac. I also noticed that there was a mac software update available so I'm trying that.

I see online (******, ZwiftInsider, etc) that this problem seems to be widespread with the new update. Has anyone here had problems and were you able to resolve it?
Old 01-26-23, 11:21 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
this was typical with zwift updates. they release sometimes the most trivial improvements and break things. and it can take months for them to fix. one of my frustrations with zwift. and their updates are forced.

this recently happened with a rouvy update, first time ever had something broken from an update. good thing about rouvy is that when an update comes out i am not forced to take it in. so now i am just archiving them so i can roll back just in case it happens again.
Old 01-26-23, 11:40 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
thx for heads-up on this. I had no issues this a.m. but probably haven't gotten an iOS push yet.
Old 01-26-23, 12:27 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Same with a Tacx flow under windows. I didn't even notice till 3/4 through my ride since I was doing a flat route and watching a show lol. Lots of posts over in the zwift sub"forum whose name shall not be said" with this problem using all kinds of different trainers.
Old 01-26-23, 12:47 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Is it stuck on easy or hard? Should I do a couple of alpe du Zwift runs before it's fixed?
Old 01-26-23, 01:02 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by WT21
Is it stuck on easy or hard? Should I do a couple of alpe du Zwift runs before it's fixed?
LOL - Mine was stuck on easy. I didn't notice right away as I generally just kind of ease into rides while getting my music set, warming up. Then I looked down and realized I was spinning away at 90 RPM in a big gear while going up a 6% incline.

I checked the "trainer difficulty" setting and it was at 100%.Then I started the annoying process of restarting everything and spent the next 30 minutes doing that over and over, restarting rides, trying ERG mode, wondering if I had superhuman strength, etc.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-26-23, 02:52 PM
msu2001la

Reinstalling the app on my Mac didn't solve this, by the way. Zwift seems to be aware of the problem, they have a note on their website with a list of "known issues", one of which references trainers not working in ERG mode. Mine doesn't work in non-ERG mode either.

Hoping for a quick fix, as Zwift is basically worthless now.
Old 01-26-23, 03:02 PM
msu2001la

Also Drops are not being counted. .Drops counter stalling and frozen pedestrians [Jan 2023] [1.33] - Known Issues - Zwift Forums
These are not small or mildly annoying bugs. Major components of this software are broken.

I'm starting to seriously wonder if I need to try a different platform.
Old 01-26-23, 04:36 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
My windows and ATV systems up and working fine.
Old 01-26-23, 07:06 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Wahoo and 🪟 working.
Old 01-27-23, 07:22 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I use a Tacx Neo 2T and had issues when I rode yesterday. I joined in on a Robo pacer ride: Miguel doing Watopia's Waistband. Riding in the large group kept my brain occupied for a while before I realized that something didn't seem right. Riding up inclines seemed easier and going downhill seemed more difficult. The speeds were correct but the efforts were wrong. The trainer just seemed "flat" across the whole ride. Now I know why. Also, I did notice at one point that my drops were standing still even though I was only about 15 meters away from Miguel and had been at the 2.5 multiplier for some time. They eventually started back up but it was slow and hit-or-miss for a bit before getting back to full speed.

I was planning on doing a tough ride tomorrow. I do hope that they figure this out quickly.
Old 01-27-23, 08:04 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Damn my KickR Core and iPad system is working fine, except no drops adding unless someone gives me a ride-on, and I could care less about drops.
No sub-60 AdZ for me, I guess.
Old 01-27-23, 08:18 AM
BTinNYC 

When I wrote my setup is working, I didn't mention I don't use ERG mode. This update SNAFU is obviously widespread.

A career in software tells me they must be going ape to unscrew this.
Old 01-27-23, 08:28 AM
msu2001la

This issue seems specific to ANT+ connections. This morning I tried bluetooth instead and got it to work, but had to disconnect the ANT+ dongle completely from my macbook to get it to pair.
For some reason I cannot connect my Wahoo trainer directly to my Macbook via bluetooth (my stages PM connected fine), but I was able to use the companion app to get it paired.

I don't have a bluetooth HRM strap, my Garmin strap is ANT+ only, so this is annoying but at least I was able to ride.

I also have an Apple TV, but previous attempts at pairing via bluetooth + companion app haven't worked very well and frequently dropped out, so I gave up and just continued to use the Macbook with ANT+.
Old 01-27-23, 10:18 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
When I wrote my setup is working, I didn't mention I don't use ERG mode. This update SNAFU is obviously widespread.

A career in software tells me they must be going ape to unscrew this.
this sounds like a very big problem. the easiest way out in the short term is to just roll back all changes. it's not really that hard. but sucks if this release included any meaningful features.
Old 01-27-23, 10:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I can't imagine why they messed with this code. It boggles. Almost makes me think someone linked in the wrong code.

I saw something that said it was mostly on PC platform, which is just great since I use a PC. The workaround is apparently to use the zwift companion to control the trainer because they didn't screw that up (yet/recently). I was thinking about riding zwift because we just got snow, but maybe I'll go swimming instead. Or maybe I'm lucky and I left the program running, I'll have to go check.

I'm glad we got another world we're never going to be able to ride. Although I found out recently that one way to ride the worlds they never schedule is to find a robopacer there.
Old 01-27-23, 11:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can't imagine why they messed with this code. It boggles. Almost makes me think someone linked in the wrong code.

I saw something that said it was mostly on PC platform, which is just great since I use a PC. The workaround is apparently to use the zwift companion to control the trainer because they didn't screw that up (yet/recently). I was thinking about riding zwift because we just got snow, but maybe I'll go swimming instead. Or maybe I'm lucky and I left the program running, I'll have to go check.

I'm glad we got another world we're never going to be able to ride. Although I found out recently that one way to ride the worlds they never schedule is to find a robopacer there.
As unterhausen mentioned, the published "fix" is to use the companion app as a bridge to get it to work.
Old 01-27-23, 12:47 PM
BTinNYC 

They're dropping a patch today.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-30-23, 10:32 AM
msu2001la

The new patch seems to have solved the issue I was having.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-03-23, 07:30 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by evebeverly
Hi msu2001la! I'm sorry to bother, but I had a similar problem recently after updating Zwift on my Mac. My ANT+ connections were acting up as well, and it was so annoying.

Like you, I typically connect everything through ANT+ using a wireless dongle. When I switched to Bluetooth connections through the companion app, I faced the same problem with no resistance control or ERG mode. I tried power cycling the trainer and my laptop, but that didn't help either.

And then I tried smth that I didn't believe would work for me - it was updating the firmware on my Wahoo Kickr Snap. I hadn't used the Wahoo App before, but I gave it a shot and connected the trainer through Bluetooth. It allowed me to update the firmware, and after that, the issue with Zwift was resolved. Now everything works smoothly again, both in ANT+ and Bluetooth connections.

I also reinstalled Zwift on my Mac and made sure my Mac OS was up to date. Not sure if that played a role, but it's worth trying. As you mentioned, it seems like a Zwift problem, but updating the Kickr's firmware did the trick for me.

I hope this helps you in case you struggle again with it.
Thanks for this. I don't think I've ever updated the firmware on my Kickr so I should probably do that. I haven't been able to get bluetooth connections to work reliably - I've tried to set this up for an Apple TV to run Zwift and could get it to work sometimes, but not every time, so I just went back to using my Macbook Air and ANT+ dongles. Maybe the firmware update you mention will help.
Old 08-03-23, 10:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I would update the firmware on my kickr, but they haven't released anything new since 2018. Hopefully zwift doesn't do anything that breaks it.