Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are these THINGS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are these THINGS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 06:20 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
What are these THINGS?

First, yes, I could bike over to my local shop but with Covid still a presence, the less contact the better at the moment.

Just got a new Specialized e-road bike. While I believe that the yellow piece might be some kind of spacer to protect the disc brake calipers, the silver "fork" like thing was in the same plastic envelope. Actually, I'm not sure how to employ either item.

Then there are two studs on the non-chain side of the chain stay - well, when just now photographing them, I discovered they are rubber and protecting the side-by-side holes. There is a thickened plate on the inside of the chainstay. Purpose? Possibly a kickstand mounting position? Thanks in advance for any info.

Two "studs"

Tools or spacers of some kind?
Old 03-15-21, 07:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Looks like a cheap spoke wrench and a disc brake pad spacer for when you removal the wheel. Keeps pads apart if you push the handle with the wheel removed.
I'd guess the holes are for a kickstand.

Last edited by dedhed; 03-15-21 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-15-21, 07:35 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by dedhed
Looks like a cheap spoke wrench and a disc brake pad spacer for when you removal the wheel. Keeps pads apart if you push the handle with the wheel removed.
Thanks for the quick reply. I had not thought of spoke wrench. I will have to check its size. The only time I played with a spoke wrench was when one broke on a ride and I played trying to get the wheel to spin through the brake pads. Finally, undid the brakes - 40 miles of climbing a pass and descending 2,000 feet without that brake - carefully.
Old 03-15-21, 07:58 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Not sure about the frame lugs, but I'd guess its a mount for a side stand. The yellow block goes in your caliper when bleeding the brakes, to prevent the brake pistons from moving. Your bike has a FutureShock, right? The silver fork thing is used when tensioning the headset bearings. The following video shows what its used for from the 6:52 mark.

Old 03-15-21, 08:58 PM
kahn

Well, if it is a spoke wrench, it does NOT fit this bike's spokes (g)
Old 03-15-21, 09:12 PM
Kabuto

Does your bike have a FutureShock?
Old 03-15-21, 09:16 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Not sure about the frame lugs, but I'd guess its a mount for a side stand. The yellow block goes in your caliper when bleeding the brakes, to prevent the brake pistons from moving. Your bike has a FutureShock, right? The silver fork thing is used when tensioning the headset bearings. The following video shows what its used for from the 6:52 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqG8ffTtenc
Ah, thanks for that. That bolt/nut must be very narrow (diameter) because that wrench would not even fit on the spoke. Its opening is very, very narrow.

But I hope you don't mind my asking another question before I hit up the bike shop - can the handlebar be raised on this type of complex connection? After three days of riding I'm thinking I would not mind the handlebar a somewhat higher. I saw where he had different plastic collars. (I begin searching web)
Old 03-15-21, 09:29 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by kahn
Ah, thanks for that. That bolt/nut must be very narrow (diameter) because that wrench would not even fit on the spoke. Its opening is very, very narrow.
Yes, 2mm.

But I hope you don't mind my asking another question before I hit up the bike shop - can the handlebar be raised on this type of complex connection? After three days of riding I'm thinking I would not mind the handlebar a somewhat higher. I saw where he had different plastic collars. (I begin searching web)
There's two types of headset cap (short and tall) and you can add 15mm of spacers. So, do you have a FutureShock on your bike?

Old 03-15-21, 09:37 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Yes, 2mm.

There's two types of headset cap (short and tall) and you can add 15mm of spacers. So, do you have a FutureShock on your bike?

Yes, my three day old bike has Future Shock. It is: Creo SL E5 Comp

(I am an old guy and just learned about through axles four days ago!) What was nice, my body-float seat post fit this new contraption. And I see that same guy has videos on raising the height.

Thanks very much for the additional information.
Old 03-15-21, 10:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Wrong and wrong. As the OP now knows that is for the FS headset adjustment. The yellow block is obviously too thick to fit between pads...it's a bleed block. It only fits w/ the pads removed and pistons pushed back all the way.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-15-21, 11:10 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Wrong and wrong. As the OP now knows that is for the FS headset adjustment. The yellow block is obviously too thick to fit between pads...it's a bleed block. It only fits w/ the pads removed and pistons pushed back all the way.
I did think the yellow block seemed a bit thick to "replace" the disc when the wheel was removed. So I should find something to maintain the space (I recall blowing it on my mt bike years ago on my first and only flat) for a ride side flat repair. Road bikes are more prone.
Old 03-16-21, 05:40 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts

Your bike shop should have supplied a similar spacer to use when you remove the wheel for transport, etc.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 03-16-21, 09:36 AM
cxwrench

I did think the yellow block seemed a bit thick to "replace" the disc when the wheel was removed. So I should find something to maintain the space (I recall blowing it on my mt bike years ago on my first and only flat) for a ride side flat repair. Road bikes are more prone.
I don't know anyone that puts the pad spacer in whilst changing a flat. From what I've seen very few people put them in when transporting the bike on a roof rack or inside the car. I've never used one myself. I guess if you just can't be bothered to pay attention to what you're doing when handling the bike w/ the wheel removed they might be a good thing to have.
Old 03-16-21, 09:56 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1

Your bike shop should have supplied a similar spacer to use when you remove the wheel for transport, etc.
I use this when I remove the front wheel and put my bicycle into the back of my SUV, as I will usually bump the front wheel brake lever while trying to finagle the bicycle between the seat backs.
Old 03-16-21, 10:47 AM
kahn

I really want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I now know more about the intricacies of both the Future Shock and the disc brake. I will use my credit card - either as a spacer or to pay for the spacer and some other things
Old 03-16-21, 11:07 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
The silver piece of metal is the TOOL for seating and removing the electric wires for the bike. And as others have said the yellow is the spacer for the calipers.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-16-21, 11:19 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Bmach
The silver piece of metal is the TOOL for seating and removing the electric wires for the bike. And as others have said the yellow is the spacer for the calipers.
No, it's not for Di2. As posted previously it's for adjusting the FS headset. Shimano makes a tool specifically for connecting/disconnecting Di2 wires and it looks like this: