Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Moistures not so Unique Frame-Fit?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-24-21, 03:42 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 162 Posts

Last edited by Moisture; 03-24-21 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 03-24-21, 03:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
First 2 things that jump out at me...

1. Stem is way too short.

2. I have a hard time imagining that your tipped-up saddle angle is very comfortable.
Old 03-24-21, 04:42 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I feel like between 60-80mm would be good for me, but I wouldn't want to go longer than 60. I have a 60mm stem laying around which I may try out.

What do you guys think of my spin and cadence with the 190mm arms? How fast your reckon im spinning?
Old 03-24-21, 04:53 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
You need therapy..do us all a favor and seek it soon.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...frame-fit.html
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-24-21, 05:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Do what you're going to do, Sir Dripsalot. You've made it pretty clear that the suggestions and advice from the BF collective aren't something you're really interested in listening to.

However, I'm kind of bored, so...

If I was trying to fit you better on this bike, I would suggest a much longer stem - 110, possibly 130, maybe even longer. Your cramped position with the short stem is not conducive to being athletic on the bike, and this is confirmed by the video. You look rigid.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-24-21 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-24-21, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
That bike is too small by a couple of sizes. A longer stem probably won't be enough to save it. That saddle set up isn't going to work if you start riding more than a couple of miles at a time. Sorry....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-24-21, 05:41 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
“Haha!” - Nelson Muntz
Likes For Rage:
Old 03-24-21, 07:01 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Do what you're going to do, Sir Dripsalot. You've made it pretty clear that the suggestions and advice from the BF collective aren't something you're really interested in listening to.

However, I'm kind of bored, so...

If I was trying to fit you better on this bike, I would suggest a much longer stem - 110, possibly 130, maybe even longer. Your cramped position with the short stem is not conducive to being athletic on the bike, and this is confirmed by the video. You look rigid.
I agree with you. I will experiment with a few different stems and see how it feels.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That bike is too small by a couple of sizes. A longer stem probably won't be enough to save it. That saddle set up isn't going to work if you start riding more than a couple of miles at a time. Sorry....
by too small you mean the top tube length, right? Because based on standover clearance (not a definitive answer to frame size..) the bike is basically a bit too big. I would also prefer a shorter seatube for more exposed seat post.

I've ridden this bike for hours at a time, all the time without any significant fatigue. By the saddle setup, do you mean the angle of the nose? Its perhaps angled up a bit too much, but it's very comfortable for me.

So you think that not even the longest stem available would make up for the length of the top tube? Most bikes in this size i haven't seen go longer than 600mm. This one is 580.

What do you guys think of the crank arm size and the way im pedalling?
Old 03-24-21, 07:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Yes, the top tube. Your reach is very short, you look cramped up. Probably because you switched from drop to flat bars with a short stem. That bike is designed to have drop bars with 80mm+/- reach, plus a stem of 100mm+/-. For the same size intended rider, flat bar hybrids and mtbs will have longer top tubes than their drop bar brethren. You could probably count your cadence over one minute of video if you wanted. Looks like you have a nice place to ride.
Old 03-24-21, 07:52 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Here's another video -

Old 03-24-21, 07:59 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I'm thinking an 80mm stem would work best. But I will try both 80 and 100 to see.

I calculated an average cadence of about 85-95 in the videos. I think thats pretty good! I'll practice comfortably getting past 100. The cadence is very smooth thanks to the integrated spindle bottom bracket and feels nice and natural. I love being able to comfortably use different cadences depending on how I feel throughout my ride. I find myself not needing to shift much as I can easily push high gears at any cadence between 60-95 depending on my energy levels.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 03-25-21, 02:51 AM
aniki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by eric f
do what you're going to do, sir dripsalot. You've made it pretty clear that the suggestions and advice from the bf collective aren't something you're really interested in listening to.
+1
Old 03-25-21, 03:04 AM
aniki

Originally Posted by Moisture
The cadence is very smooth thanks to the integrated spindle bottom bracket and feels nice and natural.
The bottom bracket design has absolutely no influence whatsoever on smooth cadence; it's all in your mind.
-
In the photo of your static position you're rotating your pelvis forward and leaning forward but then supporting your entire torso weight with your 'very overloaded' arms. The position in the static photo is entirely unnatural and is fairly meaningless; other than that it suggests that you probably need a stem about 100mm longer than the one you have!
In the drive-by videos you're pelvis is rotated backwards, your back is almost upright and you are much more relaxed. You're basically trying to ride this bike like it was a hybrid / town bike / shopping bike. All the road shock will be absorbed by your tyres and anything beyond that is going straight into your spine which will not help at all as it's so upright.
Mind you, in this case, the gel-padded saddle cover is probably actually helping a lot. Also, the reason bikes like this are often fitted with springs under the saddles.
If you can, as you say, ride this bike like this for hours without discomfort then good for you, don't change a thing (or maybe consider riding a mountain bike instead). However, if you want to use it as it was intended and ride on the road, longer / faster / further etc. you're going to need to make a lot of adaptations.
Oh, and fit a rear brake!
Likes For aniki:
Old 03-25-21, 04:33 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
As already stated by others, you looked very cramped and rigid on the bike. I assume your extremely upright position combined with the short reach and the gel padding are the only factors making the saddle position tolerable.

In your posts it seems you have found comfort on your bike, which is great. It's what we all strive for. But please understand that your ideas regarding bike fit are way out in left field. Most of us look at your position on the bike and cringe at the thought of riding that way.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 03-25-21, 07:39 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Okay.. so unless I adopt a different riding position with a super long stem, this isn't really the right bike for the way I like to ride.

And you guys think that even 100mm for the stem wouldn't be long enough for my proportions?
Old 03-25-21, 07:40 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

As for rear brake, yes I'm planning to get a longer recessed nut at the bike shop today. Old one snapped off while I was braking due to not being tightened enough..
Old 03-25-21, 07:45 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

And bottom line, if I don't wanna get low on the bike, comfortably, with a much longer stem, im best off simply getting a commuter hybrid bike.

But everything on classifieds is super overpriced, and its unlikely ill find something good. So most likely I'm stuck with this bike (which i dont mind at all,) in the meantime will start with making these adaptations you guys speak off and maybe look around for a more relaxed geometry bike.
Old 03-25-21, 08:22 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
Looks legit.

Old 03-25-21, 08:37 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Best/worst/funniest part of this whole ordeal has been the way he passive aggressively pursued his bike fit wackiness for months before finally starting to come around lmao!
Likes For Rage:
Old 03-25-21, 09:15 AM
aniki

And bottom line, if I don't wanna get low on the bike, comfortably, with a much longer stem, im best off simply getting a commuter hybrid bike.
Bottom line; if you’re happy with the bike you have and you can ride it as far as you need to without discomfort, stick with what you have.
Old 03-25-21, 09:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Okay.. so unless I adopt a different riding position with a super long stem, this isn't really the right bike for the way I like to ride.

And you guys think that even 100mm for the stem wouldn't be long enough for my proportions?
What way to you like to ride? So far, this has been pretty unclear. Are you trying improve performance on the road? Are you looking for something easy/relaxed? What kind of terrain do you usually ride?

IMO, 100mm will still be too short for your proportions, if you're trying to get into an athletic riding position.
Old 03-25-21, 10:12 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Rage
Best/worst/funniest part of this whole ordeal has been the way he passive aggressively pursued his bike fit wackiness for months before finally starting to come around lmao!
losing about 30 lb of weight makes a big different with your fit..

Originally Posted by Eric F
What way to you like to ride? So far, this has been pretty unclear. Are you trying improve performance on the road? Are you looking for something easy/relaxed? What kind of terrain do you usually ride?

IMO, 100mm will still be too short for your proportions, if you're trying to get into an athletic riding position.
I do mostly pavement, some gravel and light singletrack. Mostly gentle rolling hills and flat pavement. Some steeper stuff and long gentle hills here and there. I've had to dial down my aggressiveness on the cranks lately and my knee impingement has since went away. Most of the time I ride at around the cadence you see in the videos.

Currently, the stem is obviously way too short for me. It's comfortable and I feel relatively well balanced when maneuvering obstacles, but climbing steeper hills or accelerating hard from low speed becomes obvious how rear heavy i am this way.

obviously I am trying to achieve a better fit. imo I've achieved a pretty good balance between comfort and performance, but as I continue to lose weight and improve my cardiovascular health I am beginning to adapt a more aggressive riding position. As I sit now, If I continue to stick with the Nishiki, I guess i will have to compromise a little bit and probably stick with an 80mm stem. I know it will still be too short.

FWIW, when I first got the bike, riding the bike completely stock with a 100mm stem and drop bars, the reach felt WAY too long for me. I know its probably not far off from what would be considered normal for me. I guess I just don't have the core strength to comfortably support myself. The previous owner already slid the saddle all the way forward to compensate. It felt so stretched out.

I'm putting on an 80mm stem today.
Old 03-25-21, 10:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
FWIW, when I first got the bike, riding the bike completely stock with a 100mm stem and drop bars, the reach felt WAY too long for me.
Of course you felt too stretched out. You didn't think you needed to ride some and give your body a chance to adapt to a new position on a new bike?

A stem of 100-130 mm and dropped bars would probably put you where you'll eventually want to be.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-25-21, 11:11 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Of course you felt too stretched out. You didn't think you needed to ride some and give your body a chance to adapt to a new position on a new bike? A stem of 100-130 mm and dropped bars would probably put you where you'll eventually want to be.
There is hope yet...
Old 03-25-21, 11:28 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

losing about 30 lb of weight makes a big different with your fit...
Alternately, you can allow for the possibility that the people on the forum you are seeking advice from might know what they are talking about.

And you sure don’t look like you’ve lost thirty pounds since those first pics you posted. No offense.

Last edited by Rage; 03-25-21 at 11:38 AM.
Likes For Rage:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.