Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ninja Irok

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 07:52 PM
.Slideways.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Irok Ninja

I’ve been into 80’s & 90’s mountain bikes lately and am thinking about this for my next project but not sure what it is. K-mart bike? It has Shimano 200gs derailleur/shifters, quick release everything. “Ferrara designed bike”. If it has a cassette I think I’ll pick it up. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?

Last edited by .Slideways.; 10-12-22 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-12-22, 06:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Irok brand but 200GS was an entry level Shimano group available during 1990-1992. Depending on the exact year and manufacturer, it was found on bicycle in the $250-$350 US range. The 200GS freehub used a 7 speed, Hyperglide cassette. However, I notice that the front quick release skewer has a black tension adjustment nut, so the hubs may not be be 200GS. Also, it looks like the rear hub uses a nutted axle. Downgrading the less visible components, such as hubs, and using a quick release skewer only on the front wheel was a fairly common cost concession at low price points. Still, even if the rear hub is something like Joy Tech, it could be a freehub that uses a cassette. It could also use a freewheel. It all depends on the price point they were trying to hit.
Old 10-12-22, 06:22 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Nothing special component wise. I focus on parts, rather than brand or model. There are many private label brands out there, too many to list. Frame tubing and parts group will tell me how decent the bike is. I do like the frame paint scheme. Thats a plus.

Typically from that era, I am looking for Deore LX or higher. 200GS is low end.

Now if it is a popular brand and model, sure, I notice that. But for every one I know, there is one I don't. The other thing I look for are thumb shifters. I much prefer them over twist grip or rapid fire.

I run out of time before I run out of worthy projects. So I select the better ones. It takes just as much time, and just as much $$ in consumables, to work on the basic stuff as something better. Your market may be different.

Last edited by wrk101; 10-12-22 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-12-22, 12:24 PM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found an old shimano catalogue and everything matches the 200gs kit aside from the hubs. They do appear to be quick release..? Tires are rotted.

I offered $40 (CAD) but they won’t take less than $75… on to the next one.

Old 10-12-22, 06:42 PM
T-Mar

Yes, it does has a QR skewer on the back hub but it's mismatched from the front, which is why I mistook it for a hexagonal nut.
Old 10-12-22, 07:33 PM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’d be interested in learning more about it.. The skewer hubs and qr seat post, unfortunately it seems like people are worried about being accused of stealing the bike when one starts asking questions.. I didn’t realize shimano offered kits for bikes rather than individual components. The low end Norcos I have, have a mix of parts so a bike having a complete kit of parts seems “high end” to me.. as well as the Raleigh’s. Some have better brakes, derailures but the hubs look cheap.
Old 10-12-22, 07:34 PM
.Slideways.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 10-13-22, 05:24 AM
T-Mar

As you go higher up a bicycle manufacturer's product line, you're more likely to find complete component groups. At the lower end, it's quite common to substitute lesser grade components to hit a lower target price. Generally, the best component on a bicycle will be the rear derailleur, as many consumers judge the overall quality of the bicycle by this single component. Next in priority would be the brakes, crankset, front derailleur and shift levers, as they're also high visibility. Then come components like the hubs, pedals and headset. Components can mixed by brand or levels within a brand. Some manufacturers get very creative with their mixing and matching, and the lower the price, the more likely you are see this mixing.

The other big factor in determining how complete a component you'll find is the age of the bicycle. In the early 1970s, complete component groups were only available for high grade bicycles. Over time, manufacturers started developing more groups at progressively lower price levels.. Complete groups at the price point of this Irok didn't become available until the 1990s.
Old 01-08-23, 09:17 AM
gen1teg 

Bikes: Giant Rincon, Davinci Chameleon c4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi! Just found this post while searching the net for pictures of this bike - do you know if its still for sale, or have the contact for the person selling it? I'm looking for this specific model (Irok Ninja) if anyone has a lead on it, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-23, 07:23 PM
gen1teg 

Bikes: Giant Rincon, Davinci Chameleon c4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by .Slideways.
I’ve been into 80’s & 90’s mountain bikes lately and am thinking about this for my next project but not sure what it is. K-mart bike? It has Shimano 200gs derailleur/shifters, quick release everything. “Ferrara designed bike”. If it has a cassette I think I’ll pick it up. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?

So if it’s of interest to anyone, I found after doing much research, that this model is a variant of a Miele frame, pretty much a rebrand of the Miele Mercury of that era.

Asking again for any help finding one of these to replace the one that was stolen from me years ago, and would be happy to pay a finders fee to anyone who can put me in touch with one, thanks!
Old 04-13-23, 09:38 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by .Slideways.
I’d be interested in learning more about it.. The skewer hubs and qr seat post, unfortunately it seems like people are worried about being accused of stealing the bike when one starts asking questions.. I didn’t realize shimano offered kits for bikes rather than individual components. The low end Norcos I have, have a mix of parts so a bike having a complete kit of parts seems “high end” to me.. as well as the Raleigh’s. Some have better brakes, derailures but the hubs look cheap.
Shimano offered partial, full and mixed groups at all levels as well as individual parts to help manufactures meat various price and spec points. Most the MTBs from this time frame and price level had slightly mixed components with cheaper crank set, FD, pedals, hubs, seat post, stem and bars to meet price points.