Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Quick move..Should I buy this? Campagnolo

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 01-03-23, 10:03 PM
longhitv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts

I have about 24 hours to decide
Come with Cinelli Stem and handlebars
100 km or less on the gearset
$360 in USD dollars for it all. I was going to put it on a 1987 Bianchi Limited In Celeste green Metallic
Ive researched and - Well Its Campy but not the greatest.

Need to know ASAP
I will go buy Thursday Morning
I kinda feel I can buy a classic bike for $200 with Shimano 600 gear for $150 and id be better off.

Excellent condition classic Campagnolo bicycle groupset with Italian 700C wheelset for sale. The groupset is the Campagnolo “Victory Corsa” gruppo from ~1985 based on the logos and markings. Victory groupset was created to replace the legendary Campagnolo Nuovo Record with a more updated modern styling. It was originally intended for a 12-speed (2*6) drivetrain, but can be used these with 7 and 8-speed cassettes as well without issue. Everything is in incredible shape and functions beautifully. Brake hoods are in decent shape, Campagnolo brakepads have seen very little use and are near new, chainrings have plenty of life left. The chain is SRAM and includes a master link, pretty much new with less than 200km on it. The wheelset is Italian made with 700c Nisi rims laced to Ofmega hubs. The hubs are Ofmega Master; top of the line from the Ofmega hierarchy. Spin perfectly and have grease ports for easy top ups. Hub spacing is 100mm front and 126mm rear OLD, and both are 36H. Hubs are laced to 700C Nisi HR22 Moncalieri 36 hole rims (622x15 ISO size). The freewheel spins and engages perfectly. Rims are true, and brake tracks have plenty of life left in them. Shimano 6 speed freewheel on there currently. Campagnolo internal cam QR skewers included as well. Pretty much everything you need to build up a frame, upgrade a vintage bike, or complete a new road or commuter retro build! Everything is in great shape and ready to go, just no longer going forward with the project. Would prefer to sell complete, but can part out if there are specific things you need. Detailed parts list: Groupset (All Campy): Downtube shift levers, front and rear brakes, rear derailleur, front derailleur (band-on style), bottom bracket (70mm/Italian threading), crankset (170mm cranks w/ 52/42 chainrings). SRAM chain. Wheelset: 700C Nisi HR22 Moncalieri rims / Ofmega Master hubs, Campagnolo QR skewers, Shimano 6-speed freewheel cassette.

Last edited by longhitv; 01-04-23 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For longhitv:
Old 01-03-23, 10:52 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Personally I would say no because the price is too high. The Victory group is pretty, but has a weird BCD and was not around for very long, making it virtually impossible to buy chainrings and other parts. For this reason it's not really in demand IMHO. I helped a friend of mine buy a bike that had the same group and I think the entire bike (with Reynolds 531 frame) cost him less than $200. At that price it is probably worth getting, but $360 for just the components I think not.

Also,those Ofmega Master hubs are freewheel hubs, and certainly cannot use an 8-speed cassette as wrongly stated in the ad.

Furthermore, with the amount of scuffing on the crank arms and wear on the teeth I would say that the <100 km statement is BS.
Likes For davester:
Old 01-03-23, 11:18 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Pieces parts group, used more than 100km or stored in a dirty place.
Nah!
Old 01-03-23, 11:25 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree with @davester and @bwilli88.

Also look at bottom of RD - scrapes all over it. Look at the screw holes and you can see screwdriver scrapes.

If only rode "100 kms" , why did the previous owner have to adjust the RD so much? Inside of the FD is scraped., consistent with lots of shifting.

Rust under top tube at head tube.

Look at the chain stays. Those scrapes are not consistent with a little ridden bike. They look to me like PO had a loose rear wheel and it drifter over and rubbed - and rubbed bad!

"Brake hoods in decent shape"? Look at them, they are starting to tear, at least one on left is.

It may be that seller is saying you could install a wheel that takes a 7 or 8 speed cassette and you this drive train but then it'll be friction shifting, not indexing.

I don't think you'd want to try to mount a 7 - let alone 8 speed freewheel on an hub that takes a 6 speed now....

Curious that a bike with very low km's now has a Shimano 6 speed FW and the chain was switched out for a used SRAM chain with 200km's under it's belt.

AT minimum I would email seller and say:

1) the bike has not been minimally ridden. It has scrapes to the cranks consistent with many miles with shoes rubbing.
2) the parts don't match. You have SRAM/Shimano and Campagnolo playing together, which probably explains the scrapped derailleurs - especially the rear around the adjusting screws. Also that RD looks like the bike was dropped, at least once.
3) those decent shape brake hoods are tearing and new ones will be at least $30 + shipping.
4) those aren't storage scratches on the frame and forks! Especially not on the rear triangle.

Lastly, why the sense of urgency? Be careful of sellers who are in a rush. If you google "signs of a scam", artificial urgency is one you will always see listed.

You can find better elsewhere - that is not a $360 bike.

Should also say - check out the thread below and see if anything nearer to you
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-part-ii.html
Likes For WGB:
Old 01-04-23, 12:34 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I'm a big fan of Triomphe and Victory. The Victory rear derailleur works about as well as the old Super Record, which is one of my favorites. There's not an easier rear derailleur to polish than Victory. So scratches are meaningless. If I needed one, I would pay $80 for it (and have). But it has a removable stop piece on the back of it that fits around the hanger bolt. And if it's missing or broken, the derailleur is basically useless. On mine, I shove a little ball bearing back inside there to give that little piece more support.

The other thing you have to ensure is working properly are the extraction threads on the crankset. They're self-extracting, which is a legit reason to stay away from a Victory crankset. Here, I prefer Triomphe. The Triomphe spider is also better looking than Victory. Those rings are forged, and they last a long, long time.

The brakeset works about as well as any vintage Record set. This set looks in fine shape to me even though there's a tear in one of the hoods. I wouldn't worry about that.

I prefer Triomphe shifters as well. They work the same exact way. I like the way the wider Triomphe shifters look.

If the rear derailleur stop piece, crankset threads and bb are in perfect working order, here's how I would value these few items:

RD $80
FD $35
Brakeset: $80+
Crankset with matching bb: $80
Shifters: $30

All that said, I would really only be interested in the calipers and rd. And then I'd be on the hunt for a donor bike with Triomphe, like a $200 '85 Univega that I could later flip with some Shimano crap.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 01-04-23 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-04-23, 08:11 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Make sure that the Victory rear derailleur has the little toothed do-dad to set the angle of the dangle. Without it, the derailleur is a paperweight.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-04-23, 08:16 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
My opinion is that Victory is a great group if you are honest about your expectations. Victory is old school and may feel very unrefined compared to Shimano groups from around that same period or shortly after.
I like Victory and Triomphe because of the groups simplicity and ruggedness. That also puts more responsibility on the rider in regards to shifting accuracy and stopping in moist conditions. Part of the fun in old bikes. No indexing or duel pivot brakes here.

Last edited by embankmentlb; 01-04-23 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 01-04-23, 11:20 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
My opinion is that Victory is a great group if you are honest about your expectations. Victory is old school and may feel very unrefined compared to Shimano groups from around that same period or shortly after.
I like Victory and Triomphe because of the groups simplicity and ruggedness. That also puts more responsibility on the rider in regards to shifting accuracy and stopping in moist conditions. Part of the fun in old bikes. No indexing or duel pivot brakes here.
The purists will kill me for saying this, but by far the best thing I ever did to my Bianchi was to replace the single-pivot Modolo or Campag. sidepull calipers and Modolo levers with dual-pivot Shimano calipers, KoolStop pads, modern cables and housings, and Shimano aero levers. Now I actually feel safe riding it.

(Second best change was replace the original 52-42/13-23 gearing with 46-38/13-26 "geezer gears."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 01-04-23, 11:41 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@John E - Have you tried Superbe Pro hidden springs with the mating levers? I have this set up on the 760 with surprisingly good performance.
Old 01-04-23, 12:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
The seller's claimed i15mm rim width sounds very optimistic to me.

The Cinelli bars/stem have little value unless of the right dimensions.

Note about this package deal; the Japanese-made Bianchi frame is the OP's frame, not part of the sale!

The selling price is almost double what I would pay on a good day.
I'm not sure what these parts would be worth in the future(?).
Old 01-04-23, 12:33 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by longhitv
I have about 24 hours to decide
Come with Cinelli Stem and handlebars
100 km or less on the gearset
$360 in USD dollars for it all. I was going to put it on a 1987 Bianchi Limited In Celeste green Metallic
Ive researched and - Well Its Campy but not the greatest.

Need to know ASAP
I will go buy Thursday Morning
I kinda feel I can buy a classic bike for $200 with Shimano 600 gear for $150 and id be better off.

Excellent condition classic Campagnolo bicycle groupset with Italian 700C wheelset for sale. The groupset is the Campagnolo “Victory Corsa” gruppo from ~1985 based on the logos and markings. Victory groupset was created to replace the legendary Campagnolo Nuovo Record with a more updated modern styling. It was originally intended for a 12-speed (2*6) drivetrain, but can be used these with 7 and 8-speed cassettes as well without issue. Everything is in incredible shape and functions beautifully. Brake hoods are in decent shape, Campagnolo brakepads have seen very little use and are near new, chainrings have plenty of life left. The chain is SRAM and includes a master link, pretty much new with less than 200km on it. The wheelset is Italian made with 700c Nisi rims laced to Ofmega hubs. The hubs are Ofmega Master; top of the line from the Ofmega hierarchy. Spin perfectly and have grease ports for easy top ups. Hub spacing is 100mm front and 126mm rear OLD, and both are 36H. Hubs are laced to 700C Nisi HR22 Moncalieri 36 hole rims (622x15 ISO size). The freewheel spins and engages perfectly. Rims are true, and brake tracks have plenty of life left in them. Shimano 6 speed freewheel on there currently. Campagnolo internal cam QR skewers included as well. Pretty much everything you need to build up a frame, upgrade a vintage bike, or complete a new road or commuter retro build! Everything is in great shape and ready to go, just no longer going forward with the project. Would prefer to sell complete, but can part out if there are specific things you need. Detailed parts list: Groupset (All Campy): Downtube shift levers, front and rear brakes, rear derailleur, front derailleur (band-on style), bottom bracket (70mm/Italian threading), crankset (170mm cranks w/ 52/42 chainrings). SRAM chain. Wheelset: 700C Nisi HR22 Moncalieri rims / Ofmega Master hubs, Campagnolo QR skewers, Shimano 6-speed freewheel cassette.

This bike is the equivalent of buying an 87 Fiat taxi but sold as used by an old lady who only drove it to Confession once a month.
Old 01-04-23, 12:55 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This bike is the equivalent of buying an 87 Fiat taxi but sold as used by an old lady who only drove it to Confession once a month.

Well stated.

The claim that Victory was created to replace Record is in itself a pretty wild exaggeration.

Mileage on these parts looks more like a few thousand miles to my eye from these photos.

The condition of the rims would seem to be a big factor in this ensemble's actual value, so would need to be carefully evaluated in person.

One could build up a very nice Bianchi Limited using these parts IF the rims are in great shape and IF the bar/stem dimensions and gearing ratios suit the rider's fit, terrain and fitness level. Oh, and saddle, tires, tubes, tapes, cables, headset etc. not included. Will that chain even be long enough?
Old 01-04-23, 02:50 PM
longhitv

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Oh Sorry Some confusion. @Atlas Shrugged I paid $100 for this Limited frame 61cm with a Campy record seat post.
Its just sitting in my corner of my Garage!

The Campy Gear is a separate buy that I was going to purchase to put on this Limited Celeste green metallic bike. But sounds like I am going to shy away based on above.

Last edited by longhitv; 01-04-23 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For longhitv:
Old 01-04-23, 03:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.

Old 01-04-23, 05:46 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
The purists will kill me for saying this, but by far the best thing I ever did to my Bianchi was to replace the single-pivot Modolo or Campag. sidepull calipers and Modolo levers with dual-pivot Shimano calipers, KoolStop pads, modern cables and housings, and Shimano aero levers. Now I actually feel safe riding it.

(Second best change was replace the original 52-42/13-23 gearing with 46-38/13-26 "geezer gears."
I never considered my self a purist but maybe I am?
Old 01-04-23, 05:59 PM
longhitv

Just to clarify, The Frame is mine.
I paid little in my opinion for it $100
Its just sitting in my garage and I thought Id outfit it with this groupset

So the Campy gear alone is $360

Which makes it even worse.
I was going to touch up the frame and use it now and then.

Likes For longhitv:
Old 01-04-23, 09:25 PM
cyclophilia 

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
You can buy a complete bicycle with more appropriate parts for comparable dollars.

Patience and persistence will be your allies.