Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Older Steel Kestrel with Shimano 600

Old 01-07-23, 12:07 PM
Rutger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older Steel Kestrel with Shimano 600

Mates,

I'm getting back into cycling after 20 years (kids!) but don't want to invest a ton of money yet. I've come across a bike at a local non-profit bike shop (they recondition older bikes) and wonder if you guys have any advice. It's a steel framed Kestrel with Shimano 600 components. Gotta be at least 27 years old. Very nice shape, barely any scuffs, Mavic wheelset, doesn't look as if it were flogged and needs no work except a new seat and updated pedals. They want $600 for it. Any thoughts?

Rut
Old 01-07-23, 12:19 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Kestrel only ever made carbon fiber framesets. You possibly came upon an early monocoque version.
The particular model makes a difference. I like the 200Sci and 200 EMS. Nice riding frame.
$600 ain’t terribly high, if the funds contribute to the shop’s mission. Look closely at wear & tear.
Old 01-07-23, 12:23 PM
Rutger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!!!! I was waffling over it and got a Jamis instead from the same shop, same price, but have buyer's remorse. Part of the Kestrel attraction is the aesthetics, and compared to the Jamis it seems like a more serious bike. And yes, I realized it must be carbon. I figured for $600 bucks I can't lose.
Old 01-07-23, 12:43 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Jamis makes good stuff, too. You said Shimano 600, which makes me think downtube shifters.
I recommend brake lever shifters. These came out in the early-90's, but your shop could've cobbled anything together.
Get the model number, pal.
Old 01-07-23, 12:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutger
Thanks!!!! I was waffling over it and got a Jamis instead from the same shop, same price, but have buyer's remorse. Part of the Kestrel attraction is the aesthetics, and compared to the Jamis it seems like a more serious bike. And yes, I realized it must be carbon. I figured for $600 bucks I can't lose.
I would never suggest a newcomer buy a used carbon bike, there is just too much to consider/inspect.

Frankly I also think the steel is better for e new/returning rider as it can be more forgiving over the bumps and holes, which you really should be avoiding .

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-07-23, 05:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Depends where you live, but around here, $600 is quite HIGH for a co-op bike. I've bought and donated a lot of bikes to/from co-ops.

And BG is right, $600 for a carbon bike, you bet, you CAN lose. If you miss any damage, watch out.

To those on a tight budget, I continue to recommend a rigid steel frame MTB. Add smooth tires, and they are efficient enough. Later, you can always buy a nice used road bike.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-08-23 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-08-23, 12:38 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

The OP said the Kestrel looks very clean. And it comes from a bike shop.
No doubt, they spent some time inspecting it from all angles.
Kestrel built monocoque frames in the 90's. No lugs or glued joints.
They bonded layers of carbon fiber sheets in multiple directions for added strength and rigidity.
My '94 SCi took some major spills and abrasions. I kept riding it as a commuter for many years.
Retired it to my garage a few years back, where the frameset hangs on the wall for fond remembrance.