Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which used bikes should I try to find for 6’4 husband?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 11:05 PM
Bookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We’ll just be riding around the neighborhood (very flat, paved sidewalks) with our 6 year old. He is 6’4 and plays basketball (Athletic) but also has a back that acts up (slight herniated disc) so I don’t think bending far over is a good idea. I’m scouring craigslist, letgo and Facebook. My budget is under $150. Any specific brands, models, etc I should search for? After doing a search here I think 60 cm (23.6”) is s good size to test out.
Old 06-17-18, 05:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
60-62, or xl. Sounds like you are looking for a hybrid bike. Older tall framed mountain bike may work best. Post some pictures of what your looking at. Trek Specialized Giant are some of the larger makers of quality bikes.

Last edited by curbtender; 06-17-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 10:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
See if you have a bike co-op in your area. Generally there will be some knowledgeable folks there that can help point you in the right direction of a repurposed bike. Finding something in that size can be really hard, even new. I hate to be the one to toss right out there, but perhaps Performance Bike or BikesDirect could help you with a few more dollars budgeted?
Old 06-17-18, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
I’m scouring craigslist, letgo and Facebook. My budget is under $150. Any specific brands, models, etc I should search for? After doing a search here I think 60 cm (23.6”) is s good size to test out.
at that price and size, it would hurt your search to focus on a specific brand or model as those would only narrow the options.
I'm 6'5 and understand the scarcity of good options in hos size.

a hybrid sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-17-18, 03:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you tell us where you are located, we'll scour the local craigslist to give you some ideas. You might want to post this request in the C&V valuation forum. People will give you ideas and the posters there are familiar with older bikes and what they're worth.
Old 06-17-18, 04:10 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Older 'limousine-frame' mountain bikes would be a good, since they have longer wheelbases and geometry more like touring bikes (ergo, smoother rides). If fitted with a taller stem (like a Nitto Technomic Deluxe, for example) you could raise the handlebar to get a more upright riding position that's easier on the back. A spring saddle (like a Brooks Flyer or B67) or comfort saddle can also help.

From the late 1980s on, most mountain bikes had shorter rear triangles (which increased nimbleness on the trail); however the Trek 800-series (820/ 830/ 850) were a notable exception to the general trend and kept the long frames. In terms of geometry, they share a lot in common with older hybrid bikes like the Nishiki CitySport, the Panasonic Villager DX, and the Bridgestone 'CB' series. If you can find them, the Raleigh Grand Mesa, Fuji Boulevard, and Novara Ponderosa all were all made in a 23" size (btw, my best friend is also 6' 4" & his daily commuter is a 23" Ponderosa).

-
Old 06-17-18, 05:43 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
a hybrid sounds like a good idea.
Yup, something like the Giant FCR, which they sold the heck out of 8-10 years ago, in an "XL" size would be within her budget if fairly priced.

Here's a Bianchi near me for $180:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...619294547.html

Too small for your husband anyway, but gives you an idea. To keep it under $200, you may have to get one that is a little bit older.
Old 06-17-18, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Your best bet is to have your husband visit your local bike shop and test ride some bikes and he can find one that is comfortable. Understand that the budget is super super super super low and the used bike market can be a tricky one for someone new to cycling to get into because you can buy yourself a lemon easily or a bike that doesn't fit or bikes that need a lot of work or worse yet a stolen bike. Plus you will never get any service or warranty with it so if things go wrong prepare to be without paddle. All the suggestions above have been reasonable but many of us here are bike nerds so we know the dance however the one thing we cannot really suggest is what size will work best for your husband. A good fitting bike is more than just height but inseam, reach and some other factors. I know some people will disagree but don't listen to those who say bike fit isn't important because I can assure you an ill fitting bike is no fun to ride.
Old 06-17-18, 11:28 PM
Bookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re

Originally Posted by bikemig
If you tell us where you are located, we'll scour the local craigslist to give you some ideas. You might want to post this request in the C&V valuation forum. People will give you ideas and the posters there are familiar with older bikes and what they're worth.
we’re in Chicago. Thank you!

Thanks so much everyone, this is very helpful!
Old 06-18-18, 04:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

The classic and vintage valuation forum is your best bet.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

The posters there will help you track down a bike that will do the job, just let them know where you live, your budget and your husband's bike. A number of different people will help you track down some likely bikes and they'll discuss the pros and cons of the bikes as well.
Old 06-18-18, 07:23 AM
Bookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The classic and vintage valuation forum is your best bet.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

The posters there will help you track down a bike that will do the job, just let them know where you live, your budget and your husband's bike. A number of different people will help you track down some likely bikes and they'll discuss the pros and cons of the bikes as well.
thank you so much!
Old 06-18-18, 08:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Also, I'll just toss this out for consideration, if you are really intent on sticking to $150: Save up to 60% off new Comfort Bikes - Dawes Eclipse 1.0

$148 shipped, new, in a 22". Should be more than adequate for riding around flat sidewalks with a six year old, if you can't find anything locally. You'd have to unbox and set it up yourself, but realistically there is no more work to do that than the adjustments that likely will be required on a $150 CL offering. Biggest drawback is not being able to sit on it and try it out before buying.
Old 06-18-18, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Also, I'll just toss this out for consideration, if you are really intent on sticking to $150: Save up to 60% off new Comfort Bikes - Dawes Eclipse 1.0

$148 shipped, new, in a 22". Should be more than adequate for riding around flat sidewalks with a six year old, if you can't find anything locally. You'd have to unbox and set it up yourself, but realistically there is no more work to do that than the adjustments that likely will be required on a $150 CL offering. Biggest drawback is not being able to sit on it and try it out before buying.
With a 28F and 34R as the lowest gear, it's more than adequate for even hillier with some pretty steep roads, like Vicksburg MS or San Francisco CA. For tooling around with young kids, it's definitely adequate. In a year or two as the kids grow rapidly and the adults get more avid about riding and know more about what style of riding they want to do, everyone will be ready for a bike change anyhow.
Old 06-18-18, 09:40 AM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I know some people will disagree but don't listen to those who say bike fit isn't important because I can assure you an ill fitting bike is no fun to ride.
+1 I absolutely agree: fit is important, especially as you get older & less flexible.
Old 06-18-18, 10:53 AM
MUDDY88YJ

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy new is a must anything you find on line will need work for 150 dollars it will be old and even if it doesn't need work it will still be old and he should spend the money himself because it will not get any use. The only hope is if he buys it himself and spends his own money you can't make him want to ride it.
Old 06-18-18, 03:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Raise the seat and get new tires... https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...620294416.html
Old 06-19-18, 09:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/b...605798350.html
flip the seatpost and saddle around as they are backwards here.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/b...618841350.html
tires look worn, that would cost an extra $30-60.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...620988913.html
ignore the height range in the posting.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/b...602037430.html

if the wheels are 26", then a 21-23" frame will be a good size range to consider.
if the wheels are 700c, then a 22"-25" frame will be a good size range to consider.
These are generalizations.
Old 07-08-18, 07:53 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Here's a Specialized Hardrock on CraigsList: click, $110, Chicago area, 23" frame, 26" wheels. Indicates things work fine, but not a lot of close-ups on the components. Steel frame/fork, with a relatively relaxed and more-upright riding position.

If back issues, the fit's probably going to be even more important. So he might well need to adjust the bars/stem/saddle to cope, depending.