Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 05-12-21, 07:49 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Vintage Carlton

Have had this frame for like 3+ years. Shakedown ride tonight. Finally got it built. Need some adjustments, different pedal/cage combo (had custom straps made) and some bar tape. Plan 15-20 miles on it tomorrow.

Old 05-16-21, 08:06 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Level Keirin

I retrieved the beloved Level frame out of the closet last week with the intent to build up something a bit more punk rock to contrast with the bubblegum pop of the other bike I’m riding around lately. We covered almost 200km together over the past three days and I must say that I have really missed this frame… This bike feels suited for me.

Last edited by ethet; 05-27-21 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-16-21, 08:31 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Ethet, what pedal straps are you using on that Level?
Old 05-17-21, 02:07 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
What pedal straps are you using on that Level?
I use the Hold Fast product... I absolutely love them.
Likes For ethet:
Old 05-21-21, 03:59 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Azuki re-paint

Purchased silver—greased, cleaned, painted and polished. 0.025 flake looks like a million bucks in the sunlight.

Azuki 57 cm with mostly surface rust but solid components

Repainted w silver base, 0.025 sky blue metal flake faded to silver flake and pig-skin handlebar wrap and seat.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 05-21-21, 09:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Purchased silver—greased, cleaned, painted and polished. 0.025 flake looks like a million bucks in the sunlight.

Repainted w silver base, 0.025 sky blue metal flake faded to silver flake and pig-skin handlebar wrap and seat.
Well done. I'm a sucker for metal flake. Requesting a close up pic in the sun please.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-22-21, 09:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts

That brings back memories! The only bike I ever bought new from a bike shop was a silver Azuki “10 speed” (2x5) with a 23” frame back in 1975, I reckon.

Eventually I outgrew it and bought a slightly used 25” frame from a guy in a local shop and moved parts over. Then I turned the Azuki into a single speed and eventually I think I gave it to a friend. A good bike, and yours looks great with that paint job! 👍

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-23-21, 06:57 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Well done. I'm a sucker for metal flake. Requesting a close up pic in the sun please.
This big flake is difficult to get down and then smoothed out into an even gloss, but I’ a big fan too. Even in sunlight its hard to capture in a still...

Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 05-23-21, 07:04 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

...if this adds content: the inly reason i did the large flake on a lugged bike frame (really tough to get back to a smooth, even surface) was to test run the process for a gas tank (below in mid-stage, not smoothed and polished yet). But that said, the flake turned out so well I’ll likely do another frame. Lots of comments, but mostly “that’s way over the top” LOL

Old 05-23-21, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
This big flake is difficult to get down and then smoothed out into an even gloss, but I’ a big fan too. Even in sunlight its hard to capture in a still...

It feels like some sort of Photoshop effect was done just on the frame. Would love to see it in real life, I am sure it looks way better.
Old 05-26-21, 05:01 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts

Repainted w silver base, 0.025 sky blue metal flake faded to silver flake and pig-skin handlebar wrap and seat.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you could use a bigger chain ring on that blue bike
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 05-26-21, 09:20 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by takenreasy

Looks like you could use a bigger chain ring on that blue bike
LOL—yeah...I just re-built it as It was...just polish, grease and paint. But it rides just fine...so no changes.
Old 05-29-21, 10:20 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
I recently revised this 2011 Wabi Lightning Scandium with new Wabi 650c wheels and Nitto stem. I've now replaced everything on this bike's frameset except the pedals and front brake caliper. At this point it weighs just 14.6 lbs (minus the seat bag and water bottle) ! The only carbon fiber parts are the fork legs, and the the only Titanium parts are the saddle rails, so no doubt it could be made to weigh a lot less.

2011 Wabi Lightning Scandium with 650c wheels

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 05-29-21 at 03:46 PM. Reason: better photo
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 05-30-21, 06:52 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Just finished up this klunker.

Old 05-30-21, 06:55 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I did ride the Schwinn SS road bike with drop bars for a couple of weeks, and I liked some aspects of that, mostly the option for lower, more forward positions, especially leaning forward while riding out of the saddle.

Then, this morning I got inspired to try running some touring bars on it with a really long and low stem. It’s a 150mm Tioga stem. I rode it today and it worked well, so I’m going to run it this way for a bit. The road bars setup is still together in case I want to compare. Anyway, here is what that looks like now...

The RockHopper has received similar treatment, in that I swapped in a shorter stem adapter and lowered the bars. However, I think I will locate a 150mm stem for it also, so the reach is similar.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-01-21, 05:14 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Getting my 2009 Cannondale Capo dialed in and out test riding this past week.

This is it sitting at the top of the local 65' bridge on the way back to my car after a 40 mile ride. I am running gears too high for climbing at my fitness level but I did make it up twice only standing at the very last few feet , breathing pretty hard though.

I am waiting on the last few parts before the weigh in. The Edco Competition Swiss track crank saved almost 3/4 lb over the All-City I was using.

Old 06-01-21, 06:23 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts

This isn't pretty. Heck, I don't even know the brand or model of frame. I found it in refuse, painted it with rattle cans and threw spare used parts together. The wheels aren't the same size; the aero rim is in the rear and the front is wider. It has a side caliper on the front and center pull in the back. But man, is it fun to ride!!
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 06-08-21, 03:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,032 Times in 3,799 Posts
My former (a very long time ago) race bike reincarnated with less parts. Super fun ride
Old 06-08-21, 03:57 PM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Bikes: Shinola Detroit Arrow; Burley Rumba tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oouellette
Not a 2021 photo, but the 2021 version of my Kilo WT.

What bars are those?
Old 06-09-21, 08:13 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 06-09-21, 10:21 AM
oouellette

Bikes: '86 Madison + '86 Prelude + '93 Mulitrack + '20 Cross Check

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wjjones
What bars are those?
Soma Oxford
Old 06-09-21, 06:47 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
I purchased This SE Draft Coaster with 650c wheels 9 years ago for $279 mainly because I wanted a cheap SS bike with 650c wheels that I could lock up and not worry about it getting stolen or vandalized. There are not very many options when it comes to track bikes with 650c wheels, the only other currently being a Wabi, and those are not cheap. I never really liked the coaster brake, and immediately added a front brake, because a rear brake alone doesn't work very well when you have to stop quickly. This bike was really heavy out of the box, weighing nearly 26 lbs with its hi ten frame and fork, and nearly every component including the cranks being made out of steel. The regular sized SE Draft bikes with 700c wheels were even heavier, weighing about 28 lbs. The bike was extremely hard to pedal, and it felt like I was pedaling through deep sand. I thought maybe the coaster brake was dragging, only later when I removed the rear wheel to replace it did I realize that the axle bearings were way too tight to the point that I couldn't turn it by hand. I also immediately discarded the crappy steel stem and seatpost, and replaced them with alloy pieces from my parts bin. Anyway, I thought about replacing the rear wheels and converting it to fixed, but didn't feel like spending a lot of money on the POS bike.

Fast forward to a few wheels ago when I bought a new 650c wheelset for my Wabi Lightning Scandium (see post #263), which freed up the original 650c wheelset for use in this bike. All I needed to do was transfer the tires and tubes from the original SE Draft wheelset to the Wabi wheelset, and find a fixed cog and lockring in my parts bin. I also needed to have pedals with foot retention, and found some old Shimano Deore XT caged mtb pedals, MKS large toe clips, Alfredo Binda laminated leather toe straps and REG toe strap buttons. So, bottom line, I succeeded in making the conversion without spending any additional money on this bike.

So, the new bike is about 2.2 lbs lighter, but still heavy at 23.1 lbs, and by far the heaviest bike in my fixed gear stable. I did lower the gearing a bit, down to 61 gear inches from 65 gear inches. The combination of lower weight, lower gearing, less drag in the rear hub, and foot retention has resulted a much livelier, easier rolling and better climbing bike that is actually now enjoyable to ride. The problem is that I can no longer use it as a lockup bike, because it would really upset me now if it were to get stolen or vandalized.

Anyway, the first photo below is of the new fixed gear setup, and the second photo is of the original coaster brake setup.

2012 SE Draft Coaster with 650c wheels converted to fixed in 2021

2012 SE Draft Coaster with 650c wheels

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-09-21, 07:41 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Out for a ride and found this covered deck at a local tennis court to sit out the lightning. New WABI Thunder.

Old 06-09-21, 07:52 PM
Aquiles

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
My former (a very long time ago) race bike reincarnated with less parts. Super fun ride

That is a bike with a lot of personality
Likes For Aquiles:
Old 06-10-21, 02:01 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
I took this out today. 2007 Ritchey breakaway ss. I picked it up last week. It had been ridden once. (He also had the road and cx versions). If I told you what I paid for it you would be depressed. It wasn't much.

I swapped the drop bars out with these swept back bars from budnitz. Its a lot of fun set up this way. Flip flop hubs, on the freewheel side for now. Its relaxing. I have a few other fixed I'll post up soon.

Last edited by uncleivan; 06-10-21 at 04:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.