Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Something old and possibly french? Windsor?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 12:25 PM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts

I have been offered this bike, anybody know anything about it and can identify it? Badge on the front might not be original, looks like it might have been reinstalled at some point. Any idea on the value would be also pretty cool. It comes with a pretty cool front Exceltoo and rear Atom freewheel hub.

Last edited by geeteeiii; 06-14-21 at 12:41 PM. Reason: format issue
Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 06-14-21, 08:35 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
I believe that the shown head badge is an earlier version that Windsor used. Perhaps there were several incarnations of the badges. I'd only ever seen Windsors with stickers, presumably a modern money saving idea.

Also, I wonder if there might have been several different Windsor brands (i.e one in the USA and one in the UK, if not more than 1?)

Perhaps you might list on the Cabe?

https://thecabe.com/forum/search/751...or&o=relevance

Last edited by WGB; 06-14-21 at 08:42 PM.
Likes For WGB:
Old 06-14-21, 09:30 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I believe that the shown head badge is an earlier version that Windsor used. Perhaps there were several incarnations of the badges. I'd only ever seen Windsors with stickers, presumably a modern money saving idea.

Also, I wonder if there might have been several different Windsor brands (i.e one in the USA and one in the UK, if not more than 1?)

Perhaps you might list on the Cabe?

https://thecabe.com/forum/search/751...or&o=relevance

-----

yes indeed, there have been three or four Windsor marques through the decades

IIRC there was also one active in Nippon at one epoch

seems clear this is the french one

Exceltoo is one of the names belonging to Etablissements Perrin, best known as manufacturers of Pelissier brand products

chainset exhibits an interesting design which was employed in France for at least two or three generations

in this design the right crank arm has a threaded flange onto which the chainwheel threads

there is a threaded lockring which secures the chainwheel to the threaded flange to keep it from unthreading - much like the lockring on a track cog

the huge size of the lockring here suggests to me that it is relatively early; have not previously seen one this large on this type of chainset

if you clean the brake calipers you may possibly discover them to be JEAY

it is unfortunate that the paint and transfers have deteriorated quite this far, legible transfers would have carried helpful information regarding the bicycle

here are a couple mid-1950's catalogue pages from Etablissements Peyrard illustrating the cycle's type of chainset -

chainwheel model V has threads on the inner edge of its central hole

crank arm model 20-21 has a threaded flange onto which the chainwheel mounts - see the cross section drawing in the lower right corner of the second page

if you obtain the cycle or even just visit it see if you can get a straight on drive side image of the chainset

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-14-21, 10:37 PM
juvela

-----

a nineteen fifties era example -

note the Gentil transfers; this firm swallowed up much of the frankish cycle industry over a period of decades - somewhat similar to what Tube Investments did in Britain

need to check a bit more to learn a specific date for the Gentil acquisition of the Windsor marque; would expect it was subsequent to the manufacture of the cycle under discussion

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-15-21, 01:21 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
Rear brake has Bte SGDG on it, didnt see anything on the front one. Crankset seemed pretty plain in terms looks, dont remember any writing on it. I will ask for a picture.
Im still unsure if i will get it, it has some issues and i noticed even more when looking at the pictures that i posted here. One of the fork blades has been welded also under the crown, otherwise it has a tiny crank on the fork end and one of the rear seat stays are bent. Bottombracket also has some issues and getting parts for it might be close to impossible.

Owners own research suggest that its from around 1929-30 by the frame number. There is also some relationship with a brand called Alcyon, Windsor was like a cheaper lower end brand to it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-15-21, 06:37 AM
juvela

-----

thank you for the update

the marking found on brake is the French equivalent of "patent" or "patented"

Alcyon is a reasonably well known and respected marque within France

by 1924 the group Gentil et Cie owned the rights to these marques:

Alcyon, Armor, Deauville, La Radieuse, Labor & Windsor

also produced were cycles under the Thomann marque, have not as yet learned if this was an owned marque or a case of contract production

rights to the Windsor marque acquired from the British original
this may have been for the French market only

Gentil et Cie produced both pedal cycles and motorcycles

receipt for an "Alcyon Windsor" cycle -

the Gentil et Cie entity was created by Edmond Gentil on 12 January 1903

the Alcyon marque was registered by Gentil in September of 1903

there was never an Alcyon company separate from Gentil

-----
Likes For juvela: