Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Will I hate gravel less with different tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Will I hate gravel less with different tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-21, 12:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Get a second wheelset. Road tires are not gravel tires.

Before I got a gravel bike, I rode an extremely traditional road bike on 28’s on some pretty interesting “roads”. Years before that, I rode plenty of that stuff on 23’s. Gravel as a concept didn’t exist but races occasionally had dirt roads.

Wider and knobbier tires help. So do reduced gears from the road. You pretty much have to learn to climb everything sitting. Stand and even a MTB will lose traction on sand/rocks/dirt.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-11-21, 12:37 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

Wider and knobbier tires help. So do reduced gears from the road. You pretty much have to learn to climb everything sitting. Stand and even a MTB will lose traction on sand/rocks/dirt.
Yep! I bought a new bike last year — DeVinci Stellar Acera — which the mfg markets as a "XC Sport"; 3x9 gearing (44/32/22 T to go with the 11-34 T cassette).
It came with 27.5 x 2.4 tires, this year that got slimmed down to Continental Tires Race King ShieldWall Mountain Bike Tire - 27.5 x 2.0 Folding MTB Tire
The way I see it it's a happy compromise on gravel/dirt and on the road. Also gives me that "better feeling" when hitting 64 km/h (40 mph) on downhills even if the pavement is not perfect.

Last edited by OldRailfan; 07-12-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 01:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
We love the Challenge Strada Bianca tire at our shop but have found that the Gravel King slicks have a harder tread compound and are alarmingly slippery if the pavement gets a bit wet. We no longer sell the Gravel King slicks for that reason but we do love the regular Gravel Kings as a good all purpose tire..
What are 'regular Gravel Kings' if not slicks?
There is the Slick, SS, and SK models, right?
Old 07-11-21, 05:20 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What are 'regular Gravel Kings' if not slicks?
There is the Slick, SS, and SK models, right?
I really liked my SK’s, and I’ll probably get another pair one of these days.

Isn’t “gravel king” just about the most deceptive name for a wide variety of tires?

Of course Huffy or Murray had a “titanium” model made out of iron pipes.
Old 07-12-21, 05:52 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Gravel King is Panaracer's gravel line up .. they are all made for gravel including the slicks. The "slicks" have a fine file tread on them, they are not completely slick.

Slicks work well for gravel if you have no mud, no steeps, and no deep gravel to swim through.
Old 07-12-21, 06:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Gravel King is Panaracer's gravel line up .. they are all made for gravel including the slicks. The "slicks" have a fine file tread on them, they are not completely slick.

Slicks work well for gravel if you have no mud, no steeps, and no deep gravel to swim through.
Yeah, I will respectfully disagree with this. I have GK slicks in 28 and 32, as well as GK SS in 43.
The slicks are for all intents and purposes- slick. There is the slightest obligatory patterning that doesnt affect riding, but it is worn off in short order and what hits pavement is totally smooth. The 28 and 32mm tires are no more 'made' for gravel than any other $30-50 road tire in the same widths.
Conti GP4k and GP5k are gravel tires as much as a 28mm GK slick is a gravel tire.

And I have found that riding thru loose gravel is best with volume vs knobby tread. For loose deep gravel sections on flat road, I would take a 43mm slick over a 35mm with knobby tread as more volume helps the tire dig in less.
Steep sections are fine with my 43mm SS tread, which is basically also obligatory patterning in the middle. If I spin out on a steep section with the SS tires, I am confident I would spin out with any other similar sized tire regardless of tread pattern.

I will agree that slick tires arent great for mud. That is when some knobs can help.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-13-21, 04:46 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Yeah, I dunno. Where I live GKs are often recommended for gravel, but at the local Gravel FB group I often see ppl complain about them flatting all the time, however not often specifying what particular model. Cant say I tried any of them but I agree. The "slick" model, without the "+" moniker sure look like any ol road tyre, except maybe for the claimed anti-flat casing that doesnt seem to do much anyway. I do think they are less susceptible to side cuts than true road tyres like GP5000 tho. Id agree the standard slick is as much (little) "gravel" as a many slightly reinforced road tyres.
Old 07-13-21, 06:48 AM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I've been running the 38mm GK slick on my bike for nearly 1000 miles now and honestly I can't believe some of the crap it's survived. I've ridden it on tons of gravel, a lot of it sharp, and a bunch of chunky roads with rocks embedded in the surface and I've only experienced one puncture so far that sealed up almost immediately. I think that's pretty darn impressive for a tire that is thinner and lighter than a dedicated road tire like a 28mm GP5k.I weigh about 175 and run them between 30-45 psi depending on conditions. To me, the only downsides to the slick is that 38 is the largest size available and they get pretty drifty on looser surfaces. Also they are so floppy that on my wheels it's impossible to get the beads to seat without using a tube first or preseating them with tire levers.
Old 07-13-21, 09:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by freetors
I've been running the 38mm GK slick on my bike for nearly 1000 miles now and honestly I can't believe some of the crap it's survived. I've ridden it on tons of gravel, a lot of it sharp, and a bunch of chunky roads with rocks embedded in the surface and I've only experienced one puncture so far that sealed up almost immediately. I think that's pretty darn impressive for a tire that is thinner and lighter than a dedicated road tire like a 28mm GP5k.I weigh about 175 and run them between 30-45 psi depending on conditions. To me, the only downsides to the slick is that 38 is the largest size available and they get pretty drifty on looser surfaces. Also they are so floppy that on my wheels it's impossible to get the beads to seat without using a tube first or preseating them with tire levers.
A 38mm GK slick is 100g heavier than a 28mm GP5k. Tread thickness is less for the GK.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-13-21, 09:38 AM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A 38mm GK slick is 100g heavier than a 28mm GP5k. Tread thickness is less for the GK.
I specifically meant (ok it was implied in the context of the gravel forum) the GP5k tubeless version, which according to the specs I could find are near enough the same weight as the gravel king.
Old 07-13-21, 10:41 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The gravelking slick is fast because the tread is thin but the casing isn't particularly supple. Gotta rely on good sealant for reliability with them, but you'll get 3-4k before they are down to treads. Contrast that with the Rene Herse versions also made by panaracer which are faster and more robust in the tread area with a thicker rubber and much more supple casing and no? puncture layer.
Old 07-13-21, 10:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I remember when GK was launched because I was on their Race Type A Evo tires at the time, and I recall that the GK was pitched as having an all-new construction— new casing, compound, everything— that was specifically designed for gravel use. It was certainly unlike any of the other tires they had at the time, as I recall; I had Paselas on one of my rigs, too.

Anyway, I’ve been running some type of GK since ‘16 or so, either in 28c or 32c tubed, and they’ve been great for my needs. The 28s were my gravel tires until I built up a dedicated gravel bike this year, and they were so well suited to the job that although I selected Herse rubber, I confidently stuck with the file tread type. I still use the 28c GK on my spring/rain/winter bike. Good tires, IMO.