Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Record hubs ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy Record hubs ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 09:03 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Campy Record hubs ?

I’m looking at a set of used Mavic Open Pros with Record hubs and curious what opinions might be out there?
I ride century’s on this bike (Wilier Imperiale) but I’m not a racer by any means.
Old 11-07-21, 09:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Which version Record hubs? They have been produced for at least 50 years
Old 11-07-21, 09:18 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I have several sets of wheels with Record hubs. All are super smooth, easy to service, and you can get parts them, even for my 25+ year old set with over 50,000 miles. My biggest complaint is you can't get them in anything other than a 32 hole drilling which limits what rims you can build them with.
Old 11-07-21, 09:24 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Here are some pics and I’m also curious if these are for disc brakes? I don’t see a rim brake surface ? The ad doesn’t specify.

Old 11-07-21, 10:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those are ceramic brake surfaces so you'd need ceramic compatible pads. Kool Stop make them. Should be great wheels. But I have to ask...century's what?
Old 11-07-21, 10:12 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Those are ceramic brake surfaces so you'd need ceramic compatible pads. Kool Stop make them. Should be great wheels. But I have to ask...century's what?
100 mile rides, and thanks for the reply, I’m ordering them !
Old 11-07-21, 10:33 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You missed the point of my joke. "Century's" is not the plural of century, it's the possessive. The plural is "centuries". You should get many years of great rides out of those wheels if they were built properly. Just get some KS green ceramic brake pads and you'll be set.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-07-21, 11:16 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
The wheels are only for disc brakes if there’s a place on the hub for the rotor to mount. Those rims are fine for rim brakes.

I’ve had a few sets of Mavic Open Pros, and I like them. They’re not very aero. In other words, they’ll require maybe 10 watts more than a modern carbon rim to maintain 20 MPH on flat ground. But they weigh sub-450 grams (rims only). They’re tough enough, assuming you’re not a Clydesdale and you’re at least conscious of what you ride over.

Probably won’t go wrong with those rims and Campy hubs for general riding, including centuries. The hubs are loose ball and cone, so they’ll need occasional adjustments and lube.

Last edited by Broctoon; 11-07-21 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For Broctoon: