Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I just won a 1970s Peugeot UO-8 , what fun awaits me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 11:26 AM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

Excited to get a blast from the past. I've just won/ bid on a 1970s Peugeot OU 8. 125.00 and will no doubt be spending allot of time here on the forum helping me see my way out of my newly acquired gem.....lol.
We have a wonderful Greenway in San Antonio which I've been enjoying. Recently I did 66 miles on my only bike up till now, a Co Op cty1.3 . The internal geared bike 8 speed left me desiring a bit of an upgrade.
Having two adopted children , one in college , the other in 10th grade coupled with a very limited income, I found a bike from my high school days thatshould keep me busy and hopefully allow me to climb the hills on the Greenway a little easier.
I ride for pure enjoyment and secondary for health.
I realize that the Peugeot is far far from a high quality ride, but I'm anxious to feel the steel frame.
I'm very appreciative of 90% of the good folks who's knowledge I so value.
Posting due to my excitement , something to advert my attention away from parenting and work.
Thank you bike forum community 🤗

My fun awaits....

The Co Op cry 1.3 set up for all day rides..... Now refered to as the Winnebago...lol

Last edited by Lman; 11-08-21 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For Lman:
Old 11-08-21, 11:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Nice old bike, but it looks like it's for someone 6' 2" or better. I hope that is you.

I honestly didn't feel any overwhelming difference between my old steel bikes and my new CF Tarmac for ride quality. My Tarmac fits me better than my older bikes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-08-21, 11:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Cool, be sure to post in the Classic & Vintage forum. There are some UO-8 fans there.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...on-thread.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-08-21, 11:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Lman
We have a wonderful Greenway in San Antonio which I've been enjoying.
My wife and I, avid bike riders, are moving to San Antonio in early December. Is this the Leon Creek greenway, or the Salado Creek greenway? We're looking forward to many biking adventures. We'll be up in Boerne. Phil
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-08-21, 12:24 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Originally Posted by Iride01
Nice old bike, but it looks like it's for someone 6' 2" or better. I hope that is you.

I honestly didn't feel any overwhelming difference between my old steel bikes and my new CF Tarmac for ride quality. My Tarmac fits me better than my older bikes.
Thanxs, it's suppose to be a 58cm.....I m 6'2', have been worrying that it's going to be a tad small.
My CoOp is an xl
Old 11-08-21, 12:26 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My wife and I, avid bike riders, are moving to San Antonio in early December. Is this the Leon Creek greenway, or the Salado Creek greenway? We're looking forward to many biking adventures. We'll be up in Boerne. Phil
Your in for a treat !!! Boerne although growing so fast, is lovely
Old 11-08-21, 12:49 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Check the bearings in the bottom bracket and headset. If they're in good condition, it shouldn't be too hard to keep them cleaned, lubed, and adjusted so they stay that way. If the BB spindle or cups are actually pitted, finding replacements for older French stuff can be a little tricky these days. Steel frames indeed offer a smooth ride, and of course are on the heavy side. The weight shouldn't be a concern for the kind of riding you're doing. Your REI city bike is very cool! I love the leather bags. You're apparently someone who cares about style--that Peugeot should fit nicely into your life. I'd clean it up a little as needed, maybe replace cables, brake pads, and tires (if they've not been done in a while), and then enjoy the thing.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-08-21, 01:05 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Check the bearings in the bottom bracket and headset. If they're in good condition, it shouldn't be too hard to keep them cleaned, lubed, and adjusted so they stay that way. If the BB spindle or cups are actually pitted, finding replacements for older French stuff can be a little tricky these days. Steel frames indeed offer a smooth ride, and of course are on the heavy side. The weight shouldn't be a concern for the kind of riding you're doing. Your REI city bike is very cool! I love the leather bags. You're apparently someone who cares about style--that Peugeot should fit nicely into your life. I'd clean it up a little as needed, maybe replace cables, brake pads, and tires (if they've not been done in a while), and then enjoy the thing.
Thank you, very excited, hope I can ride her on the cheep.....money is tight. Wife told me this is it for awhile..... bwhahaha
Old 11-08-21, 01:10 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Lman
Thank you, very excited, hope I can ride her on the cheep.....money is tight. Wife told me this is it for awhile..... bwhahaha

I take it she doesn't follow this thread.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 11-08-21, 01:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
That is a class act, there. I'd like it.
Old 11-08-21, 02:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
My only other thoughts about that old bike in the first pic is that you need to raise the saddle and lower the bars. You won't have a proper fit for a road bike if you are going to sit erect. IMO, you'll wind up looking for the holy grail of saddles for your butt and might never find it.

If raising the saddle takes it outside the proper height for your legs, then it's too big a frame.

But.... if you are comfortable on it, that's all that really matters.
Old 11-08-21, 02:40 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Great bike! My 1st 10 speed worked as a messenger to save and April 74 paid $140 for a blue UO8 like yours. They ride beautifully.
Enjoy.
Old 11-08-21, 04:02 PM
Lman
L-man

My only other thoughts about that old bike in the first pic is that you need to raise the saddle and lower the bars. You won't have a proper fit for a road bike if you are going to sit erect. IMO, you'll wind up looking for the holy grail of saddles for your butt and might never find it.

If raising the saddle takes it outside the proper height for your legs, then it's too big a frame.

It's being shipped to me.....left today. It's a 58 frame and I'm 6'2".....but got some. Orgi in me dówn the lineage....lol , short legs. Can't wait
Old 11-08-21, 04:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks bigger than 58... curious how they measured it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-08-21, 04:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Most bikes in the US were built to British standards. French bikes of your era require some parts that are not easily found here. IIRC, the stem and frame tubes are smaller in diameter on French bikes than British/Italian/Japanese/Canadian/US bikes. The headset, bottom bracket, and freewheel are threaded differently. Your bike probably has 27" wheels, instead of the now much more common 700C wheels, so you may have to search a bit for tires.

BUT ... you CAN find parts at reasonable prices, especially if you ask for help here. Velo-Orange, ebay, and the For Sale sub-forum of the C&V forum have parts with French threading and diameters.

You'll probably need new tires, cables, and housing. If the rims of your wheels are steel, I strongly recommend either not riding in wet (some say 'humid') weather, because they don't stop well when wet or finding new wheels with aluminum rims. And if you buy new wheels from, say, Craigslist, you'll probably get a hub with English threads, which solves the French freewheel and 27" tire problems.

Although the UO-8 doesn't have fancy tubing, lots of people are delighted with the way they ride.

My reco is to check out the C&V forum where steel and French bikes are real - ly well-supported.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-09-21, 09:12 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Yep, the ride quality of these is amazing. If you post over on the C&V forum you'll get more help and information than you can ever use on these. I had one for years and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Pretty easy and cheap to keep them going. If it has the stock steel rims you'll want to replace with some decent alloy ones so it will actually stop. That's the one let down with most of these.

Other than that, dial in your fit and find a saddle that works for you and you'll have a really nice rider. Congrats!

How I rode mine for many years until I downsized my stable and moved it one....with regret.
Old 11-09-21, 11:50 AM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yep, the ride quality of these is amazing. If you post over on the C&V forum you'll get more help and information than you can ever use on these. I had one for years and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Pretty easy and cheap to keep them going. If it has the stock steel rims you'll want to replace with some decent alloy ones so it will actually stop. That's the one let down with most of these.

Other than that, dial in your fit and find a saddle that works for you and you'll have a really nice rider. Congrats!

How I rode mine for many years until I downsized my stable and moved it one....with regret.
Beautiful !
Old 11-09-21, 04:31 PM
Gr33n_@pproach

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Those are fantastic! You're in for a true treat, in my honest opinion. The ride itself is so smooth but my only complaint would be the seat. That's an easy fix though!

Enjoy and let us all know how it goes!
Likes For Gr33n_@pproach:
Old 11-09-21, 05:03 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
My first adult bike but mine was in green. It served many a year.
Likes For kahn:
Old 11-09-21, 05:40 PM
Dan Flashes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I bought an old Peugeot about 15 years ago for around the same price too. It was a lot of fun but I thought it could be a bit difficult to control at times. But overall I was happy with it and felt some nostalgia as well.
Likes For Dan Flashes:
Old 11-09-21, 08:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Pictures always from the drive side.

Learn about the idiosyncrasies of French threading and sizes, as well as cottered cranks.
Old 11-09-21, 09:15 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I do remember just within the last month or so, I was waiting outside the local bike shop for entry, a biggie shop here. A couple rolled out of the shop with their Peugeot's and I commented that I had had a similar one years ago. They were not happy. Shop said that they don't work on bikes like those anymore. I was surprised but now reading comments above, I guess I can kind of see why. I know that they serviced mine when I had it but that was long ago.
Old 11-09-21, 10:32 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by dedhed
Pictures always from the drive side.

Learn about the idiosyncrasies of French threading and sizes, as well as cottered cranks.
Exactly, totally lost about it's threading.........
thank God for this site and YouTube university.
Bwhahaha, I don't know what the future holds....
But I do know who holds my future 🤭
Old 11-09-21, 10:48 PM
Lman
L-man

I'll have to recieve the bike before I can adjust....sure looks bigger than a 58cm.
Old 11-09-21, 10:51 PM
Lman
L-man

​​​​​​Love it "the holy grail of saddles", the picture is the one off eBay. Can't wait to get her here, and yes let the fitting begin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.