Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about carbon fibre saddles....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-02-21, 09:33 AM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

I have a question about carbon fibre saddles....

My wife picked up this NEW Hylix "Carbon Engineering" bike saddle at the local thrift shop for 99 cents (Canadian): about 78 cents in real money.

Litigation being what it is, I'm sure this flimsy looking saddle is safe to use.

But will it likely be comfortable ? Its as hard as wood !!

Bink

Old 12-02-21, 09:47 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I think your assumption that a litigious society has made all products safe is not a good one. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try to sue 'Hylix Carbon Engineering' (or Alibaba) in a Chinese court.

As for comfort, very likely the reason it wound up in a thrift store is that someone bought the saddle off Alibaba for $5 and regretted it immediately the first time they sat on it. It is a saddle for people who build bikes for the sole purpose of weighing them, and likely will not be good for riding.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-02-21, 09:50 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky

My wife picked up this NEW Hylix "Carbon Engineering" bike saddle at the local thrift shop for 99 cents (Canadian): about 78 cents in real money.

Litigation being what it is, I'm sure this flimsy looking saddle is safe to use.

Bink

I "wood" imagine that it really depends on ones anatomy. I know that my crushed (by a pickup truck) sitting bone would not be able to tolerate that saddle for more than a minute. I never could get back to a Brooks saddle after the accident. But you or she should give it a try for the price, why not.
Old 12-02-21, 09:51 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
It will probably be about as comfortable as it looks, which is to say, not at all. Those are made for weight weenies and serious racers* who really aren't concerned with comfort as much as cutting every possible gram. They're also favored by those who just love the carbon fiber aesthetic, but again are not concerned with comfort.

* The kind of races you might use that seat in would be hill climbs mostly, or perhaps crits. For longer distances, I think even the pros opt for something with a little padding or compliance.
Old 12-02-21, 09:53 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Harder than wood, actually. I use a CF saddle, which I find comfortable, but the odds that one would find any individual saddle comfortable are low. Suited for a relatively aggressive riding position with less weight on the butt.

The 7x9mm rails will not fit all saddle clamps so check for that.

Edit I find it unlikely that any pros would change saddle for other than time trial. I use mine for all road rides including long &multiple DCs. The CX bike saddle does have some padding, 'tho. Do love the 100g weight.

Last edited by woodcraft; 12-02-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 09:55 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts

Bink

NO so send it to me and I will pay for S&H and double your investment costs
Old 12-02-21, 10:06 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Every now and then I'll run across someone on the internet claiming that their unpadded saddle is comfortable. I find this "hard" to believe, but I've never tried one. I do have a Selle Italia saddle that is very stiff (but still has some padding) and it's hard for me to imagine something with even less cush being comfortable for anything other than very short rides.
Old 12-02-21, 10:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Every now and then I'll run across someone on the internet claiming that their unpadded saddle is comfortable. I find this "hard" to believe, but I've never tried one. I do have a Selle Italia saddle that is very stiff (but still has some padding) and it's hard for me to imagine something with even less cush being comfortable for anything other than very short rides.
Many years ago, when my much-loved Avocet saddle wore out, I peeled off the plastic cover, peeled and scraped off the rotted, mildewed layer of padding, and was left with a bare (and hard) plastic shell. My local cobbler cut and glued on a thin piece of leather, and I used that saddle on a road bike for a few more years. It was a great racing saddle, as it weighed very little and was comfy for even the longest road races that I was doing at that time.
Old 12-02-21, 10:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I dunno.. my dining room chairs are wood and I often use one for home office duty -- and my pants aren't even chamoi'd.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-02-21, 10:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'd try it out. The saddles I find comfortable for long rides and riding at high effort are always minimal in their padding. And that was even when I rode with out bike shorts and no padding .

Why wouldn't you have tried it, or let your wife try it out before making this thread?

I will say you need to find out what the installation instructions are for that particular saddle. If those are carbon rails, then some require special clamps in the seat post and other considerations.

I think that saddle is sold as just a inexpensive cheapo saddle. However I have been impressed by inexpensive cheapo stuff at times.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-02-21 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 10:29 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
The only way you'll find out for sure is to mount it up and go for a ride.
Sure looks pretty though.
West
Old 12-02-21, 10:41 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts

One should keep in mind that Canadians are far less litigious than Americans
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-02-21, 11:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
What woodcraft & Iride01 said. A lot of bikes have passed through my shop with 3 or 4 carbon saddles they came with. To my shock one naked, no cover at all, carbon disappeared under me even with thin chamois. I has two sort of dimples that must have been just right for me, only marking on it is Pro Carbon just like this one on the bay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/32473715792...53.m1438.l2649. I still have it on a Vitus but the other carbons were such ass hatchets I would never buy one even at 99¢.
Old 12-02-21, 11:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I tried one and it was more durable than expected. Comfort was acceptable for off road, but I ride downhill or bumpy terrain with my butt off the saddle.
Old 12-02-21, 12:57 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Many years ago, when my much-loved Avocet saddle wore out, I peeled off the plastic cover, peeled and scraped off the rotted, mildewed layer of padding, and was left with a bare (and hard) plastic shell. My local cobbler cut and glued on a thin piece of leather, and I used that saddle on a road bike for a few more years. It was a great racing saddle, as it weighed very little and was comfy for even the longest road races that I was doing at that time.
I have seen the same thing: Under some of the crappy ripped up vynil-covered saddles that I took off bikes to flip I found the same hard light-weight moulded black plastic "GRAND PRIX" shells you referenced.
For the most part, I donated them to a bike repair course and they wound up on kids' BMX bikes, probably never to be sat upon again.

Bink

Old 12-02-21, 01:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Carbon fiber saddle have been available for over twenty years now. Almost all of them flex. They are not significantly different from a 1958 Unica Nitor #55 made from nylon. Except that they are lighter. Basically all nylon shell saddles go back to the Unica Nitor whether or not padding has been added.

Why would an unpadded saddle automatically be uncomfortable? Leather saddles are unpadded. Leather saddles have been with us since there were bicycles. If no padding saddles did not work bicycles would have died before they were born.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 12-02-21, 01:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I have a similar saddle on one of my favorite bikes and have ridden it for several hours without any exceptional pain, though nowadays, because I ride much less and my legs are weaker, i wouldn't choose it as my go-to for long rides.

It flexes some, and it supports my padded shorts in just the right places, and I like it a lot.

Every saddle is highly personal. If padding was what mattered we would all ride on tractor-seat sofa-saddles.

A lot of my bikes have fairly hard saddles, actually .... after one tour I did with a softish saddle which cause saddle sores, which really suck in the middle of a tour.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-02-21, 01:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't find that how a saddle looks correlates well with how it feels. I'd actually be a bit more concerned about the sharp-looking edges of the thing than the lack of padding, but I just haven't been on anything comparable on that dimension.

Probably can't hurt much to give it a try, and you'll likely know right away if it's potentially a disaster.
Old 12-02-21, 02:11 PM
badrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I bought one on Amazon and thought what a great deal it was. Installed on my SL, and it gives me reason to never sit. What this seat did do was make me appreciate my other sl saddle that had wafer thin padding.
Old 12-02-21, 02:14 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Carbon fiber saddle have been available for over twenty years now. Almost all of them flex. They are not significantly different from a 1958 Unica Nitor #55 made from nylon. Except that they are lighter. Basically all nylon shell saddles go back to the Unica Nitor whether or not padding has been added.

Why would an unpadded saddle automatically be uncomfortable? Leather saddles are unpadded. Leather saddles have been with us since there were bicycles. If no padding saddles did not work bicycles would have died before they were born.
Quoted for truth. I raced on a Helyett track bike with a green Cinelli/Unicanitor plastic saddle from 1964 to about 1969, when I got a Raleigh Professional (one of the white Cino Cinelli-designed ones as used at the '64 Tokyo Olympics) with a Brooks Professional saddle. The Brooks Pro was, if anything, harder than the Unicanitor.

I suspect that the Unicanitor (which, like the Brooks Pro saddle, is still available, at Universal Cycles and elsewhere; get one for your Eroica bike!) was designed when someone observed that nylon sheets of a certain thickness flex identically to a broken-in saddle such as a Brooks or an Ideale, and without the need for a break-in period.

Ha! Just realized that my sadly neglected '60s Peugeot track bike has, in addition to a complete French Campagnolo track group and a butted 531 frame, a Unicanitor saddle, covered in what I dimly remember was referred to in the ads of the time as "buffalo leather." No padding, of course.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-02-21 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-02-21, 02:55 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
How can you go wrong for 78 cents, great piece for a display bike.
Tim
Old 12-02-21, 04:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I rode from DC to Harpers Ferry MD on a saddle made of hard plastic. One made of carbon fibro surely woundna be any worse.
Old 12-02-21, 04:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I had an unpadded Cinelli/Unicanitor back in the day. It was cheap and tolerable and looked badass. I’m pretty sure they’re still available for those who want CFRP discomfort at a vinyl price.
Old 12-02-21, 08:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
imo it's for having something that resembles a seat so the cyclist doesn't catch too many more dirty looks, as well as a pole up the posterior preventer. It'll likely go up the exit, but at least it'll be feather lite, just not feather like.
Old 12-02-21, 09:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
imo it's for having something that resembles a seat so the cyclist doesn't catch too many more dirty looks, as well as a pole up the posterior preventer. It'll likely go up the exit, but at least it'll be feather lite, just not feather like.

Wut?
Likes For woodcraft:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.