Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Apex 1 cage upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SRAM Apex 1 cage upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 06:59 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
SRAM Apex 1 cage upgrade

Does anyone know what OEM SRAM derailleur cages are interchangeable with the Apex 1 rear derailleur?

Stock the Apex 1 has a steel cage and I'd like to swap it for an alloy one. Basically I just need to know what OEM cages are interchangeable with it so that I know what aftermarket cages will fit.
This is the derailleur I have.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 02-16-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 03:21 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
The important thing is the pull ratio. I see that derailleur has 'Exact Actuation' printed on it which, I believe, means it uses a 1:1 pull ratio. I don't think any of the other manufacturers use that (though I'm sure many of the very knowledgeable people on this forum will be better informed that me). However, all SRAM 10 and 11 speed road components are interchangeable so you could upgrade to Rival or Force, bearing in mind you may need a long cage if the cassette is over 36 teeth.

Having said that, according to SRAM that cage is aluminium. Are you sure of your info?

Last edited by jgwilliams; 02-17-22 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Add info and link to SRAM
Old 02-17-22, 04:53 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
The important thing is the pull ratio. I see that derailleur has 'Exact Actuation' printed on it which, I believe, means it uses a 1:1 pull ratio. I don't think any of the other manufacturers use that (though I'm sure many of the very knowledgeable people on this forum will be better informed that me). However, all SRAM 10 and 11 speed road components are interchangeable so you could upgrade to Rival or Force, bearing in mind you may need a long cage if the cassette is over 36 teeth.

Having said that, according to SRAM that cage is aluminium. Are you sure of your info?
I'll have to double check when I get home but I could swear t was steel. Also,Im not looking for a new derailleur,just the cage.
Old 02-17-22, 07:51 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
I'll have to double check when I get home but I could swear t was steel. Also,Im not looking for a new derailleur,just the cage.
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood.
Likes For jgwilliams: