Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry ID when you ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you carry ID when you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 08:42 AM
CKostie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I carry an old driver's license with me. Saves the issue of switching it out with my real one.

Last year it came in handy when a pickup truck decided to T-bone me. It was much easier to tell the police and others to grab my old license for information. Now if I wasn't conscious, than maybe they wouldn't have found it right away. But in that case do I care that the police are able to identify me at that point in time?
Likes For CKostie:
Old 02-18-22, 08:52 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
ID and a bit of cash. An EMT worker told me that they’re always happy when they find some cash, and I want happy EMTs working on me.
Old 02-18-22, 08:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
When I bike commuted my wallet was in with my office clothes in my commute pack.

But for other rides (which is all of them these days) I carry my DL and CC in my belt-loop phone holster. Since I now rely on errands and shopping as an excuse to ride, the CC comes in handy. I used to carry cash, but since the pandemic, I stopped using it. I think there's still a few bucks in my bag and I should toss a $20 back into my holster now that we seem to have a handle on this Covid thing.

When I grab my DL and CC for a ride I place my wallet on the desk by where I store my helmet and water bottles between rides. When I see the wallet, I replace the cards and put the wallet back in my pants.

If I had any medical conditions I'd either get a road ID, or laminate a card to put in my holster.
Old 02-18-22, 08:59 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I carry my DL, a credit card and whatever cash I may have on hand. It's nice to have these things for an impromptu coffee or snack stop.

I keep my tools and tube in one of these Muc Off cases and slip the aforementioned into the side sleeve inside.

https://us.muc-off.com/collections/c...ssentials-case
Old 02-18-22, 09:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I carry a photocopy of my drivers license, with Emergency Contact info printed on the other side, laminated and a copy thrown into all of my bike bags. If you have access to a scanner and printer, it's easy. I just use clear packing tape for the "laminating".
So simple and smart…I feel like I should have thought of that! Thanks…I’m going to do that now!
Old 02-18-22, 09:25 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
My money clip has a credit card and my id. I keep it in a jersey pocket, phone in another.
Old 02-18-22, 09:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I carry a photocopy of my drivers license, with Emergency Contact info printed on the other side, laminated and a copy thrown into all of my bike bags. If you have access to a scanner and printer, it's easy. I just use clear packing tape for the "laminating".
In PA we get to keep our expired licenses. PennDOT punches a hole in them to indicate that the are no longer valid. I have saved my last two and take one with me. They both have my current address.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-18-22, 09:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Phone, cash, and concealed carry permit.

My ICE is in my phone.

I crashed and went to the trauma center recently, they never asked for ID and I only gave my insurance card at checkout (I did not have it with me). They treat people without ID or insurance all the time, what are they going to do, not give you care?
Old 02-18-22, 10:05 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I have a Road ID that I used to wear on the bracelet that came with it but I'd often forget to put it on. I now keep it mounted front and center on my helmet and so it's with me for every ride and will be very noticeable to EMTs.
Old 02-18-22, 10:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

My ICE is in my phone.

I crashed and went to the trauma center recently, they never asked for ID and I only gave my insurance card at checkout (I did not have it with me). They treat people without ID or insurance all the time, what are they going to do, not give you care?
My fear is that I get hit, the driver—perhaps in a panic—dumps my body in a river, and I’m discovered 2 weeks later and 30 miles downriver with crayfish crawling out of my eye sockets. I’d like my wife and her new boyfriend not to have to wait for dental records or DNA before they get on with their lives.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-18-22, 10:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I do the Road ID. Mine is old school with something like four or five lines of data of your choice etched into it. They now have a website the can be checked for further data, and I think they may have a chip in them. Not sure about that. The length and location of your rides might depend on what ID(s) you carry. My rides are generally in the 20-50 mile range in length, and I don’t really make planned stops. So I don’t carry a credit card (not that it’s an ID, but I do have a few $$ cash with me).

Dan
Old 02-18-22, 10:40 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

My ICE is in my phone.

I never, ever carry my phone on a ride. I'm like one of those old ladies everybody hates in the grocery store, still writing checks for stuff. Not to mention it's just a really bad paperweight if it breaks.
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I carry a credit card and my roadside assist membership card. I was surprised to learn it covers bicycle recovery and transport back home. Also, I have a small card that has my emergency contact's name and phone number written on it. All of this is stashed in the phone wallet I store my mobile phone in (which is essentially a zip-lock bag).

There's apps you can use, but if you're phone's busted in the crash that's not much use. Probably worth writing your condition and important information on something and having that on you.
I did not know that about roadside assistance, although I don't have such a service anyway.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I always carry a wallet with my drivers license, bank card, credit card, health card, social insurance number, vehicle insurance and some cash.
My wallet is far too big to carry with me on rides.]
Old 02-18-22, 10:41 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by dsaul
Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by seypat
If you are going to carry any personal/med info,(and you should) it needs to be on a bracelet or necklace. Somewhere close to where they will be checking for a pulse after an accident/incident. Unfortunately, anything/anywhere else will most likely get separated from your body during the accident.

I have a med allergy to something that would be used in an emergency situation. It's listed on the Road ID I wear along with my personal info.
I was considering a dog tag in my shoes, but I can see situations where the shoe might be lost one way or another.
I have considered that also, but I'm not sure I can do that legally here. I thought photocopying a state issued ID was illegal. But I kind of doubt anybody would say anything about it if they were scraping me off the side of the road.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In PA we get to keep our expired licenses. PennDOT punches a hole in them to indicate that the are no longer valid. I have saved my last two and take one with me. They both have my current address.
Nevada does that too. Unfortunately for me, I do not have an old DL with my current address on it.

My ICE is in my phone.

I'm not quite as worried about a trauma center or hospital as I am the 1st responders on scene.
Originally Posted by Route 66
I have a Road ID that I used to wear on the bracelet that came with it but I'd often forget to put it on. I now keep it mounted front and center on my helmet and so it's with me for every ride and will be very noticeable to EMTs.
I have considered something like that also but I've also had a couple crashes hard enough that the helmet broke and went its own way.
Old 02-18-22, 10:46 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen

I'm not quite as worried about a trauma center or hospital as I am the 1st responders on scene.

I have considered something like that also but I've also had a couple crashes hard enough that the helmet broke and went its own way.
How do you call the first responders without a phone?

The ID is worthless. Zero value.

A phone is priceless. Trust me. Laying in a ditch with 10 broken bones, the phone better be close at hand.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-18-22, 10:46 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I carry an old passport into which I have added my emergency contact info, but have been carrying it in the bag on my saddle. That seemed to work in my crash last fall, but after reading this thread I am going to start carrying it on my body, looks like.
Old 02-18-22, 10:53 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
I had a dog tag made for myself at Petco. Wear it on a beaded chain around my neck.
Old 02-18-22, 10:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I went down and picked up an "ID Card" and put it inside my bike bag. I also keep a rolled up $20, or whatever is appropriate for the ride, and a burner phone that can be used to call 911.
Old 02-18-22, 11:04 AM
VegasJen

How do you call the first responders without a phone?

The ID is worthless. Zero value.

A phone is priceless. Trust me. Laying in a ditch with 10 broken bones, the phone better be close at hand.
I'm not really thinking about the need for me to call 1st responders. If I can walk or talk, I'll get myself to help.
Originally Posted by Steamer
I had a dog tag made for myself at Petco. Wear it on a beaded chain around my neck.
I've been considering that very same option.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-18-22, 11:15 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I carry my ID, medical insurance card, credit card, and my phone in a protective wallet stuffed in one of my jersey pockets on every ride.
Old 02-18-22, 11:16 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Yes. Amongst other reasons in my country carrying your photo ID card (or passport) is mandatory. You also need it for interacting with government services, banks, voting, hospital, crossing borders or wherever you need to identify yourself here.

Along with my ID card, I also carry a bit of cash and my credit cards and my drivers and boat skipper licences in a waterproof cycling wallet along with my phone, which is also my everyday wallet.

Credit cards can really help when stuck 150km+ from home on some ill thought out adventure, cash for coffee and food and the phone is, well, indispensable really.

Last edited by Branko D; 02-18-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-18-22, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I've removed my teeth, sanded down my fingerprints, and I thoroughly bleach all sources of DNA before every ride.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-18-22, 11:40 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
...I don't want to carry my DL when I ride...I do still have my old set of dog tags...
Do I carry ID...

ABSOLUTELY!

I do have my wallet narrowed down to the bare minimum. I also wear Dog Tags. After 32 years in the service it has been no big deal to wear them or keep track of them all the time. I had a pair made up custom when I retired. They have my Name, Address, VA Number and SSN. I figure more than likely my SSN has been compromised anyway so its no big deal. Oh, also note that going around with no ID in Texas can get ya on a bus to No Where No Place PDQ. Ha... Here's a link to one of the many providers...

https://www.dogtags.com/
Old 02-18-22, 11:44 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I wear a chest pack with cell phone, Ipod, an old government photo ID and a few bucks for emergency coffee. Fortunately, I haven't had a need for it yet. Except the Ipod. I need that every ride.
Old 02-18-22, 11:47 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I don't want to carry my DL when I ride because it's just a headache transferring it from my wallet to a pack and then back. And then if I happen to forget to transfer it back I might get caught driving around without my DL on accident.
I have just learned to deal with the minor inconvenience of transferring my DL from my wallet to my pack before going out on a ride, and then transferring it back after I get home.

If that does not come easily, then it might help to make and start using a checklist - even if it only consists of one item! - until the actions become automatic due to habit.

I also wear a wrist band with my name and emergency contact names/numbers.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 02-18-22, 12:07 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Know the fundamental rule of software user-interface design: "Don't make me think." That's the biggest value in RoadID. Who I am, no known allergies and who to call at what phone number. I really don't want to make someone go on a treasure hunt through my wallet, my bag, my locked phone, my pants...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.