Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainrings too close?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chainrings too close?

Old 07-17-15, 12:38 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Chainrings too close?

Hi, I've just put new chainrings on. The outer and middle rings look too close together. I'm absolutely sure I've put them on correctly, not reversed any of the markings (outer facing out, the other two facing in) or the salients misaligned (all behind the crankarm, there wasn'ta a chain drop pin, but just a hole for it). The inner and middle rings are SLX, the outer LX, although when I bought them they were all packaged as Deore LX. Thanks for any advice. It's all 9 speed. I haven't put the chain and RD on yet as I've got new jockey wheels on order... This shouldn't be weird should it?

Crank: LX FC-M661 triple
Outer: FC-T661
Middle: FC-M660
Inner: FC-M660
Old 07-17-15, 12:45 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
drape the chain over the rings and see how it looks. And/or check the actual distance between rings to see if it's an illusion or not.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-17-15, 01:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
drape the chain over the rings and see how it looks. And/or check the actual distance between rings to see if it's an illusion or not.
+1. If need be, thin chainring spacers can be installed to make sure everything is separated just right.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-17-15, 01:37 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Thanks guys. I took the crank off again as it is really hard to eyeball it on the bike. Impossible to measure accurately as well. I'm pretty sure summat ain't right though. Chainring spacers? Guess my LBS could help with that.
Old 07-17-15, 01:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Other than being obviously too close so the chain simply doesn't clear, the issue relates more to chain rub on the inner face of the larger ring when using a smaller one and the outside of the cassette.

This is a common and critical issue on many 10s and 11s compact systems which cannot be ridden fully crossed without some chainring rub. Even when they don't rub, you can hear the ticks of the pick up pins brushing past. (please don't post "don't ride small/small")

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-17-15, 02:40 PM
imi
aka Timi

Thanks again guys. I found the problem: The outer ring was the wrong way round, EVEN though the stamped lettering was facing the way the instructions said (outwards)... By examining the ring it was obvious. It is now correct: the indentations for the bashguard are on the outside, the ugly end of the rivets on the inside, the spacing is perfect, and to top it all off I googled pictures and enlarged them until I could compare all the details.... BUT the stamped lettering is on the inside...
Likes For imi:
Old 07-17-15, 07:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Are you concerned about looking at the bike or riding it? Andy.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 07-17-15, 07:41 PM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
^^^ bit uncalled for, and totally irrelevant comment
Old 07-17-15, 07:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by imi
^^^ bit uncalled for, and totally irrelevant comment
You have to be patient with our semi-facitious comments. They're not intended to be snide, more like a gentle poke in the ribs.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-17-15, 08:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I don't think so. If the bike works as intended but the writing is on the other side of the part then what you prefer what is the problem? Not all rings have their stampings on the outer side. Or even on the same side as the other rings. By posting your question in an open forum you are asking for other's opinions. I gave you mine. Andy.
Old 07-17-15, 08:14 PM
imi
aka Timi

Chainrings too close?

You have missed the point completely.
I installed the chainring exactly following the printed instructions... It did not work, the outer ring was too close to the middle ring.

Everything I have read and googled says."outer ring, lettering outwards... other two rings, lettering inward..."

It's got nothing to do with esthetics -one can hardly see the stamped lettering - but I posted my findings in case anyone else had the same problem, or found it interesting.

Your snarky comment was uncalled for, but I put it down to you having neither read or understood the thread.
Old 07-17-15, 08:23 PM
imi
aka Timi

Yes, thanks FB. I've been here (BF) long enough to appreciate friendly jibing delivered with wit and intelligence...
Old 07-17-15, 09:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Sometimes it isn't quite as obvious which side of a chainring goes out, but the ugly end of the pins and countersinking are good clues. I've almost installed rings backward in the past because more of the information was stamped on the inner side, which didn't make sense to me at first...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-18-15, 06:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

"Your snarky comment was uncalled for, but I put it down to you having neither read or understood the thread." Imi

So I went back and reread the OP. I read that you were not sure which way the rings were to be mounted, that the instructions might be wrong. But you were not sure and were seeking help. Your second post seemed to confirm your confusion but you were on the path to figuring it out by questioning another reply's suggestion. Your third post shows that you were able to get past the reliance on instructions. Not surprising with the wrong instructions with the mix of rings grades. Again you were able to experiment to reach the goal. Good job.

My possible error was with my first post was not continuing to mention that one has to rely on the fix that works, not the set up that one has seen before. My bad on this point.

But this is the interweb method of give and take. I try to minimize my posts. Both in word count as well as in posting numbers on any one thread. The interaction when in person is so much better a communication then those done with words in magnetic ink. I do try to read the OPs and see the real issues, not always the written questions. I try to cut to the chase with my answers.

I'm glad that you were able to figure things out. I'm not sorry that I put out there that looks are not always the best guide. My self imposed guide of usually offering three replies to a thread has been met. Andy.
Old 07-23-15, 05:02 AM
imi
aka Timi

Andrew: No worries. Thanks for your last post. /Timi
Old 07-23-15, 08:03 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Maybe the 2 inner rings are the ones you put on backwards.
Old 07-23-15, 09:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Part of the adaptation to thinner chains of the post 8 speed(9,10,11) cranks , is making them closer together.

wider spacing risks dropping the thinner chain in-between chainrings..

perhaps the new chainrings were machined to be '11 speed' compatible?

shim spacers around the bolts, between the crank arms and the chain ring may help.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-23-15 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 10:32 AM
williamldavis

Bikes: Rivendell Cheviot, 198? Austro-Daimler SLE (was smoked chrome until I went crazy with the Never Dull and Simichrome...bad idea), Davidson Impulse (frame only for now), 1984? Huffy Concours Professional, Felt Z90

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Maybe the 2 inner rings are the ones you put on backwards.
I was thinking the same thing. I thought you always faced all stamping on chain rings so that they face out toward drive side pedal...even though that would make the stamping on inner chainrings harder to see.
Old 07-24-15, 10:36 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by williamldavis
I was thinking the same thing. I thought you always faced all stamping on chain rings so that they face out toward drive side pedal...even though that would make the stamping on inner chainrings harder to see.
That's the danger of adhering to rules. The rings have to be mounted according to tooth profile, offset,pickup pins, counterbored holes, or other functional criteria. Going by some rule about where logos should be isn't reliable, because even if there's a "rule" of some kind, there will always be exceptions.

Old 07-24-15, 11:32 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Counterbored holes is usually the best clue; no reason to have them on the side where the bolt head doesn't go...
Old 04-23-22, 09:04 PM
Dois

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a 7 year old thread, but this is the first result when searching 'chain rings too close' on Google. I personally struggled with this for close to 6 hours, taking the crank off and on and testing different orientations until I figured out what was wrong. I found that I was mounting the outermost chainring on the inner side (towards the bicycle) of the crank, when it should have been on the pedal side (away from the bicycle). I was confused because of videos I watched (other types of crank/chainrings) putting it on the other side.

So, to whoever ends up in this thread - if your middle chainring is too close to the outer, consider that your outer chainring might be mounted on the wrong side of the crank. Ultimately, the recommended orientation most people mention was correct, it was just that the outer chainring needed to have the crank itself as the spacer between it and the middle chainring.

Specifically, mine is a Shimano Deore Crankset.
Old 04-24-22, 04:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
why not both? Any committed cyclist who says he doesn’t take some degree of pride in how his bike looks is full of it.
Old 04-24-22, 04:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
why not both? Any committed cyclist who says he doesn’t take some degree of pride in how his bike looks is full of it.
Old 04-24-22, 08:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Litespud
Wow! A flame from a 7 year old reply I made... That reply was directed at the OP and their seemingly to want the writing on the chain ring to face to the outside. I was trying to say that why should the side of the bike that the stamped writing is on be an issue. It is that the ring is installed properly that IMO has first priority.

Now to your thinking that as a commuter bike it's looks shouldn't matter- you make a false assumption of me. Here's a shot of my current commuter, clean and not the usual color combo. As a lifer in the LBS service department I very much care that others do take pride in their bikes. Andy
Old 04-24-22, 08:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
In (feeble) defense of manufacturers/distributers ... the instructions that came with the crankset might well have been written and published long before the chainrings were made and packaged. (This includes what you might see online.) And the parts might well have been made/stamped/labeled by folk not speaking or reading English and not bike riders. They may well have never seen the printed instructions.

If these chainrings were Shimano, Campagnolo or SRAM, I can see a case for complaint. But if these were picked because they apparently filled the bill but were at lesser cost, I'd hope they were machined well and forgive the lettering mistake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.