Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 04-25-22, 05:19 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Today was the annual members' meeting of the Dutch veteran cycle club "De Oude Fiets". I joined their ranks only recently, as their main focus is on Dutch pre-WWII machines, but they seemed like a nice bunch, and they operate a small but friendly forum with some very knowledgeable members.

The program included a short ride, so I brought a bike along. I did feel very much like a noob, as my bike wasn't even 60 years old, and in color to boot.

Most bikes were in black & white:

The ride was quite nice. Not much to see in the area, except for the bikes, so lots of opportunities for a talk with the other riders.

My nomination for the patina prize wasn't for a bike, BTW, but for this battered but fully roadworthy Peugeot 403 camionette:

Also love the attire and support vehicle
Old 04-26-22, 04:20 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1996 Guerciotti Genius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Nice truck

That looks like a pickers truck!
Old 04-26-22, 04:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Nice day today in the mid 50's after a couple days of freezing temps and heavy snow. So got a bit more work done on my Clunker Challenge bike the Stone Grinder and took it for a short slushy ride on the local trails around Fairplay bike trail was still snowed over so only got about 5miles riding in.

Well this bike has now been snow tested.

The bike trail was completely snowed over still a good foot or more in places.
Old 04-26-22, 07:03 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Shakedown ride on new estate sale International. The rear wheel immediately shifted over to the left, but no problems after that was put right. Did the usual 10 miles/1,000 feet and I still have all my teeth! I think I need to try to remove the bicycle license sticker; I thought it was cool at first, but now it bugs me.

The trees up here got worked over a couple of weeks ago in a freak spring snowstorm. I haven’t wanted to take any pictures of the damage because it’s sort of depressing.

I call this one Shiny Toeclip. How about those gloves, huh?! Different estate sale.

Old 04-27-22, 01:07 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1996 Guerciotti Genius

Planned ride: Mt Diablo North to Junction on Torpado Beta

42-23, we'll see how that goes. (Depending on weather, possible high winds and rain tomorrow.

Last edited by MCHunt; 04-27-22 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-28-22, 04:36 PM
MCHunt

High winds, so Mt D. No go today. Gravel bike instead.
Likes For MCHunt:
Old 04-29-22, 08:08 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Under the bridge at Happy Valley Road and the New River:

I did a little editing to get the funky coloring I ended up with - but the reflections from the shiny bits are the genuine article.

DD
Old 04-30-22, 10:22 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Still getting (re?)acquainted with my beater Dawes. I had this Brooks B72 which I tried on it a couple years ago, didn't like it AT ALL, but returned to it recently. I'd put an Ideale 2002 on, hated that, and thought I would try a B17. I saw the B72 in the saddle tub and thought, "Heck, I should try it again just to be sure it's a failure." I put it on, then raised the stem maybe a half-inch. Darned if it's not pretty comfortable now. This was taken yesterday and the easternmost limit of Willow Rd in Winnetka.

Old 04-30-22, 11:35 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 526 Posts
Two nice weekends in a row here in the UK, amazeballs!
Loving the blue skies...

....all the cool cats come out to play.....

....though they're careful to avoid the dogs, even the cool ones.....

....we've had blue skies and occasional sun before, but now the parks are finally green again....

...which has clearly influenced recent artworks with similar dappled light.....

....there's an optimism that summer is upon us and anything's possible....

...and the nice weather has even seen the 4 wheeled European C&V community come out of hibernation, my favourites of the day being French, Italian and a classy Brit in British Racing Green.

I finished April with 1030 miles in the legs, my first 1000 mile month of the year, and hopefully the next few months will bring more of the same if the sun keeps shining.

Last edited by botty kayer; 04-30-22 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-30-22, 11:54 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by botty kayer
Two nice weekends in a row here in the UK, amazeballs!
Loving the blue skies...

....all the cool cats come out to play.....

....though they're careful to avoid the dogs, even the cool ones.....

....we've had blue skies and occasional sun before, but now the parks are finally green again....

...which has clearly influenced recent artworks with similar dappled light.....

....there's an optimism that summer is upon us and anything's possible....

...and the nice weather has even seen the 4 wheeled European C&V community come out of hibernation, my favourites of the day being French, Italian and a classy Brit in British Racing Green.

I finished April with 1030 miles in the legs, my first 1000 mile month of the year, and hopefully the next few months will bring more of the same if the sun keeps shining.
Great pix and progress on he bike !
Likes For joesch:
Old 04-30-22, 05:49 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Nice Afternoon up Deer Creek Canyon

Longest ride since dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck at the end of last summer. 33+ with 2500’ up (and down of course!). Out and back from home up the easy side of Deer Creek Canyon. Fun test for the Fuji, hadn’t had a real descent on it yet but handled fine.

Grateful to be able to ride, what joy it can bring!

Probably need to think about foot retention, half clips and tennis shoes leave something to be desired, but get the job done.

Likes For AJI125:
Old 05-01-22, 07:14 AM
joesch

Did tribute to Eroica CA which I could not attend and road my Tomma classic 80s around Dallas and doing some CA dreaming. Best wishes to all the herioc riders riding the Cambria area today.

Old 05-01-22, 01:36 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 526 Posts
Well I cursed it by decreeing the nice sunny weather yesterday, and so today was back to very British grey skies and drizzle. It didn't stop me getting out on the bike though, but I'm not nearly as brave as this lot of budding 'ordinary' learner riders. Central London is not the place I'd fancy riding one of these.

Riding through Hyde Park.....

I passed by 3 Savile Row, now Abercrombie & Fitch offices.....
In 1969 it was home to the Apple Corporation set up by the Beatles long before Mr Jobs had any ipod or iphone inklings. And on a cold afternoon on the 30 January the rooftop of this building was the location of the last pubic performance of the Beatles.

I then cycled to Tavistock Square to show my bike to Mahatma Ghandi.....

"Nice ride bro" was one of his lesser known quotes. I made that up haha. Here's a real one "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever"
Wise words indeed, I leave the great man to his thoughts and head off towards the old St Pancras Church.

...and in the grounds is what's known as the Hardy tree which has become entwined with many grave headstones....

And I finish up the day in Camden looking for some street art.

"Nice ride bro" I imagine her saying.....a strange feeling of deja vu washes over me haha.
I end the day startling a man riding a cat.....

....before heading home to watch my football team win 3-1, happy days indeed. And its May day bank holiday in the UK tomorrow, so a day off work tomorrow, which if Ghandi lived in London and was down with the slang he'd say was "pukka", a slang word borrowed from Hindi and Urdu word "pakka" which means solid, and these days means excellent/cool. I'm still living and learning Mahatma *doffs cap*.

Last edited by botty kayer; 05-01-22 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spells
Old 05-02-22, 02:10 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
Yesterday we had a very pleasant ride in the south-west of the Netherlands. Not that windy what's very nice near the sea.

Old 05-02-22, 09:44 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 1,742 Posts
Test ride for mrs non-fixie today. 32 inaugural kilometers on her Zieleman.

It was a nice day for it:

No need for the tools I'd brought along in case adjustments were needed. The only thing she would like is a B17S Imperial, to replace the regular B17S that is currently on the bike. Especially when wearing jeans, the Imperial is significantly more comfortable for her.

Old 05-02-22, 11:28 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Another shakedown ride for the Mercian, this time around Bay Harbor Island in Alameda. I think it’s good, ready to wrap the bars…

Old 05-02-22, 05:14 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Took a little ride to check out some newly completed cycling infrastructure in Portland, but I took the wrong bike. Getting caught in a downpour with no fenders and a seat with a cutout makes for a very odd sensation.

Dried out eventually.

Found an amazing amount of green bike path paint on my trousers when I got home. I guess all bike infrastructure is destined for the bottom of the ocean, eventually.

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 05-02-22, 06:38 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

And this is about the coolest cycling photo I’ve seen in a while. Something about the hat and the hair and the blue tarp on the roof of the house. I just like it!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 05-03-22, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Found an amazing amount of green bike path paint on my trousers when I got home. I guess all bike infrastructure is destined for the bottom of the ocean, eventually.
are you sure that's not pollen?
Old 05-03-22, 02:20 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 397 Posts
This may be pretty boring for most of you but I could not help but ponder this today. I spent much of my ride time this morning appreciating how lucky I am. Lucky to own this old wreck of a bike and to be able to keep in a top state of tune. Lucky to have the time, the resources and the health and wellness to drive to my favorite trail head and access hours and hours of paved routes through the woods and along regional waterways with no motor vehicles to think about. Lucky to have picked an activity that builds my health and wellness. Lucky to glide silently along by myself mile after mile either just listening to the season blossom or listening to some traditional Celtic music. Lucky to have the chance to set most of my life aside for a couple of hours and, to some degree, ignore the tempest of events and issues that surround us, at least for a bit. This bicycle thing is pretty good stuff!

The Schuylkill River - one of the regions first commercial super highways, back thousands of years. Behind me is the Schuylkill Canal - the second commercial super highway. Across the river, up in those trees, the railroad - the third (and still active ) commercial superhighway along with the Blackrock Tunnel - one of the first rail tunnels constructed in the US and still in constant use today.
I do like being surrounded by history that dates back thousands of years, millions even
Old 05-03-22, 05:32 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
are you sure that's not pollen?
Pretty sure they were little chunks of green paint. Hard to photograph. Our heavy pollen drop ended a few weeks ago.
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 05-03-22, 07:46 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
This may be pretty boring for most of you but I could not help but ponder this today. I spent much of my ride time this morning appreciating how lucky I am. Lucky to own this old wreck of a bike and to be able to keep in a top state of tune. Lucky to have the time, the resources and the health and wellness to drive to my favorite trail head and access hours and hours of paved routes through the woods and along regional waterways with no motor vehicles to think about. Lucky to have picked an activity that builds my health and wellness. Lucky to glide silently along by myself mile after mile either just listening to the season blossom or listening to some traditional Celtic music. Lucky to have the chance to set most of my life aside for a couple of hours and, to some degree, ignore the tempest of events and issues that surround us, at least for a bit. This bicycle thing is pretty good stuff!

The Schuylkill River - one of the regions first commercial super highways, back thousands of years. Behind me is the Schuylkill Canal - the second commercial super highway. Across the river, up in those trees, the railroad - the third (and still active ) commercial superhighway along with the Blackrock Tunnel - one of the first rail tunnels constructed in the US and still in constant use today.
I do like being surrounded by history that dates back thousands of years, millions even
We gotta get a group together and ride with you on some of these trails!
Old 05-04-22, 01:31 PM
MCHunt

Second ride on CL Torpado Beta. It's a short loop of 17 miles with about 1600' of climbing. There are a couple of 10% sections of climbing that were challenging with the 42-23 low gear. The only parts changed out were to get the bike to fit. I needed a longer seatpost in 26.8 from Orange Velo as the stock ofmega was over the max line for my saddle height. Changed out the San Marco Corsair for an old Rolls. New rubber for the original Michelin BIB TS-20's that were more than dry rotted. Longer stem and wider bars also. Stock was 100 mm and 38 cm ITB bar and stem changed out for parts bin 120 3TTT and 42 ITM bars. The Universal 125 brakes are going next as they are a safety issue in the hilly area where I live. The reach is so long that I can barely get my first knuckle around them. Then there is the performance, or lack thereof...going into several downhill traffic lights, I was pondering do I brake first or loosen my toe strap because I was unable to do both. Fortunately, I have a set of Campy Cobaltos that haven't been on a bike since 1994 and are begging to be on this one. Overall, I am very impressed with the ride of this frame though.
Likes For MCHunt:
Old 05-04-22, 11:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Always thankful to post this thread.

Sunny day. 58* to start, mid60*s by finish. Over to Issaquah. The traffic is so thick that I prefer to stay off the main street, Front Street. Riding Hobart Rd is crowded too, but the only sane route.

Hippy hop to the candy shop. Just a photo op.

Riding 40+ yo lugged steel. Triple instills confidence to go long and last the hills.

Nice color
Old 05-05-22, 12:04 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sunny day. 58* to start, mid60*s by finish. Over to Issaquah. The traffic is so thick that I prefer to stay off the main street, Front Street. Riding Hobart Rd is crowded too, but the only sane route.

Hippy hop to the candy shop. Just a photo op.

Riding 40+ yo lugged steel. Triple instills confidence to go long and last the hills.

Nice color
Repaint that frame to match the lovely vibrancy of the flowers.
But keep an eye out for lusting guys like me.
That burly guy looks like trouble, a small guy like myself would not park so close.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.