Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Losing Pressure Overnight

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-15-21, 12:27 PM
bretterb

Bikes: Spot Rallye Single Speed Belt Drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a new-ish (about a month old) bike that came with tubeless tires (Stan's Grail Team rims and Schwalbe G-One 700x35 tires). I'm near the weight limit for the bike/tire (250lbs.) so I keep them at about 65psi (sidewall says max 70). Every day when I go on my first ride I check the pressure, and they're almost always down to 40psi. Is that a sign of something wrong, or normal for tubeless? I don't mind checking them every morning and airing up when needed, but I'd hate for them to lose air when I was on a ride.

Thanks.

-Brett
Old 07-15-21, 01:23 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Check them in a tub or sink to see if you can identify the source of the leak or failure to seal. Valves and rim tape are good possibilities. Properly seated and sealed, tubeless shouldn't lose much air at all overnight.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-15-21, 03:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I’ve had some of my tubeless tires act similarly. As long as they hold air for a 2-3 hour ride, I usually tolerate it. It’s when they go completely flat overnight that I start over, figure out what’s wrong, and get them sealed better.

Putting it in water, you might find it’s leaking around the stem. In that case it’s easy to assume the nut needs to be tighter, but that’s not always the case. I find it sometimes helps to let the air out, loosen the nut, wiggle the stem around a little or twist it to a new position (unless it’s the kind with a spacer shaped to match the rim contour), and then tighten the nut again—just snug. Not too tight!

Of course, this all assumes you have enough sealant inside and it’s not dried up. Have you checked that?
Old 07-15-21, 05:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
This is why I will never have a tubeless tire setup.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-15-21, 07:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
This is why I will never have a tubeless tire setup.
I hate the hassle of setting them up initially, and how they’re sometimes kind of finicky after that.

I’ve been converting most of my bikes to them because of one benefit: self-sealing punctures. We have lots of goat head thorns where I live. Number of flats caused by them formerly: dozens. Number of flats caused by thorns in any/all my tubeless tires: zero.
Old 07-16-21, 02:42 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence, but did you convert them to tubeless? I'm pretty sure all new bikes with tubeless tires come shipped with tubes.
Old 07-18-21, 08:04 PM
bretterb

Bikes: Spot Rallye Single Speed Belt Drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. @Lazyass: Good point! I did not actually check to see if the tires were in fact running tubeless, just assumed they were as the literature around the bike talked that feature up. The first time I aired them up though I'm pretty sure I got a little bit of sealant spray out of the valve.

I'll try the water test.

-Brett
Likes For bretterb:
Old 07-19-21, 01:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by bretterb
Thanks everyone for the replies. @Lazyass: Good point! I did not actually check to see if the tires were in fact running tubeless, just assumed they were as the literature around the bike talked that feature up. The first time I aired them up though I'm pretty sure I got a little bit of sealant spray out of the valve.

I'll try the water test.

-Brett
Might want to triple check. The reason new bikes aren't set up as tubeless with sealant from the factory is that the sealant generally has a shelf life of about a year and many bikes will sit in the shop for much longer than that.