Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

wheels. rim brakes. tubes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 01:20 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts

So, I need some new wheels for my IF.

I would prefer tubes over tubelss (the year or so I spent with tubless tires I found to be annoying), though I will give up if I have to, and rim brakes. So many wheels seem to be for tubeless and disc brakes...can a bike with rim brakes be refitted with idsc brakes....but I'd just as soon keep things the way they are. ANd it doesn't seem like many wheels like that exist (rim brakes, tubes) so if anyone knows of some....
also, don't want to spend a fortune. I had (on two bikes) Mavic Kysurim elite wheels. One set is long gone, and the other is getting shot....I think (back in 2007's cheaper dollars) five or six hundred for the pair, so I'm looking for that catagory of price (adjusted, of course, for inflation and all of the other issues these days): I don't want a $2000 wheel set. I don't want carbon. Please don't tell me how wonderful it would be. I'm an old fashioned guy.
Any suggestion as to what's available?
Old 03-20-22, 02:10 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Have you googled? There are plenty of options like Pacenti or Wheelbuilder, and others etc. selling alloy rim-brake wheelsets at various price-points. And AFAIK, a majority of tubeless-compatible rims can be run with tubes.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-20-22, 02:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Adding disc brakes to a rim brake bike is not possible.
Old 03-20-22, 02:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Adding discs to a non-disc bike is a no-go for multiple reasons.

Old 03-20-22, 03:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
...can a bike with rim brakes be refitted with idsc brakes...
The fork and the frame needs to have disc brake mounts from the factory...As for wheels, there are plenty of rims out there which can be set up with rim brakes.
Old 03-20-22, 03:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
My Surly frame has an option to run either cantilever brakes or disc brakes.
Old 03-20-22, 03:53 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
So, I need some new wheels for my IF.

I would prefer tubes over tubelss (the year or so I spent with tubless tires I found to be annoying), though I will give up if I have to, and rim brakes. So many wheels seem to be for tubeless and disc brakes...can a bike with rim brakes be refitted with idsc brakes....but I'd just as soon keep things the way they are. ANd it doesn't seem like many wheels like that exist (rim brakes, tubes) so if anyone knows of some....
also, don't want to spend a fortune. I had (on two bikes) Mavic Kysurim elite wheels. One set is long gone, and the other is getting shot....I think (back in 2007's cheaper dollars) five or six hundred for the pair, so I'm looking for that catagory of price (adjusted, of course, for inflation and all of the other issues these days): I don't want a $2000 wheel set. I don't want carbon. Please don't tell me how wonderful it would be. I'm an old fashioned guy.
Any suggestion as to what's available?
chain reaction has Campag Zonda C17 wheels for $490/pr. Al rims, rim brakes, Campag or Shimano freehub, 1560g/pr actual. I’ve run a pair for ~10,000 miles (I’m 185 lb) with no issues.
Old 03-20-22, 04:08 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
OP never said if their bike is a Surly.
Surlys are kinda weird that way; you can build the same frameset a bunch of different ways; rim, disk, 700c, 650b, 26+, SS/Fixed or geared. I guess that's their niche.

Not uncommon on early 00's bikes, as disks started to trickle down to the mid-level MTBs, either ; you could get the same bike in a 'budget' rim-brake spec, or a higher level disk brake build.

Dunno exactly what kind of bike the OP has, but it sounds like it's more than a few years old.
Old 03-20-22, 05:31 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
OP never said if their bike is a Surly.
Surlys are kinda weird that way; you can build the same frameset a bunch of different ways; rim, disk, 700c, 650b, 26+, SS/Fixed or geared. I guess that's their niche.

Not uncommon on early 00's bikes, as disks started to trickle down to the mid-level MTBs, either ; you could get the same bike in a 'budget' rim-brake spec, or a higher level disk brake build.

Dunno exactly what kind of bike the OP has, but it sounds like it's more than a few years old.
It's an Indepedent Fabrication club racer that I bought in 2007. Still seems new to me! Anyway, turns out, my LBS, though not having any appropriate pre-made wheels have some they built up that seemed to be good...mavic rims, ultergra hubs...I didn't have to buy the front one, but probably will anyway.
Old 03-20-22, 05:33 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I didn't think so, but wasn't sure. Don't really particualry want (have nothing agsinst them, either, and, in fact, have never tried them) them as I've been happy with my brakes.
Old 03-20-22, 06:41 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Lacing your own wheels? It is fun.
I just finished building two sets, both H Plus Son Archetypes
One brand new set with front 24h and rear 28h - rims from UK Chain Reaction Cycles free shipping and hubs (RAF/RAR12) and spokes (Sapim Laser) from HubStore in SC - $423 total.
The other, I replaced the rims of a wheelset I got from Velomine that was running out of real state for rim braking. Both 32h, Shimano 105 hubs.
Old 03-20-22, 06:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't you think if the OP had something like this he would have posted it?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-20-22, 10:50 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
(a) "tubeless" rims are tubeless compatible or capable, not tubeless required.
(b) Rim brake alloy wheels are common and readily available. Just look online, you'll find a lot of rim brake wheels within your price range. You can easily get a custom built set in that price range from places like prowheelbuilder.com and similar but will probably be a month wait. As just one of many sources for ready made wheels in stock I know Probikekit, Western Bikeworks, Colorado Cyclist and many many others have good prices on exactly what you're looking for ready to ship.
Old 03-21-22, 08:35 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve purchased a couple wheelsets from Velomine over the years. They have a good range of prices of various mfgs.

John
Old 03-21-22, 10:41 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Two alloy rim-brake rims I have tried are mostly not worth going tubeless with (in my tire experience)- DT 411 and the Easton R90 SL. They DO work and I have ben running tubeless in various disciplines except road since 2004) but lock on way too tight. It just take too much effort to take them off. I have ordered the Zipp 303 for this reason- I hear they are easier (also rim brake) to mount and un-mount tubeless tires. Let us know if you find an alloy rim that is easy to mount and un-mount tires if tubeless. Tubed type- no issues with anything I have used....various alloy and ENVE 3.4 SES.

I do like the Easton alloy rim..built up well and quite comfortable. It is 27mm deep, IRC. I think most or all of the shallower alloy rims will build up to be comfortable.
Old 03-21-22, 12:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
(a) "tubeless" rims are tubeless compatible or capable, not tubeless required.
Yes, though there are some rims that are only compatible with tubeless tires, but you can run them with tubes (probably not an issue for the OP, since they want to avoid carbon, and I'm not aware of any such alloy rims on the market). But yeah, almost any decent rim out there right now is going to, at least, be tubeless compatible.
Old 03-21-22, 01:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Lacing your own wheels? It is fun.
I just finished building two sets, both H Plus Son Archetypes
One brand new set with front 24h and rear 28h - rims from UK Chain Reaction Cycles free shipping and hubs (RAF/RAR12) and spokes (Sapim Laser) from HubStore in SC - $423 total.
The other, I replaced the rims of a wheelset I got from Velomine that was running out of real state for rim braking. Both 32h, Shimano 105 hubs.
This. If the hubs are still good get some rims, spokes, etc and lace them up. Have your LBS finish the process if you don't think you can do it yourself.